TAT: Thailand needs high earning, high quality tourists - "value over volume" to get 80% back by 2023

webfact

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Keep dreaming. High value tourists have other destinations in mind. You know, places where they fix the pavements, taxi drivers don’t scam them, police follow the rule of law, bars don’t rip them off, and they’re generally appreciated.

Where is this horrible place so I can avoid it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

The thai tourism model is based on high-volume, low-price.

Changing that will take years, and a concerted effort, neither of which are thai attributes.

When the 10 mm zero-dollar chinese tourists come a knockin' what will they do? Turn them away or load up the shrimp buffet.

The Thai government clamped down on zero-dollar tourism back in 2016. They shut down companies and confiscated tour buses. Even the Chinese government banned zero-tourism in Hong Kong and Macao. Chinese tourists are becoming more sophisticated and preferring to travel independently. More are making their own bookings online and traveling alone and not dependent on travel agencies. 

Edited by Eric Loh
Wrong word
  • Like 1

I remember about 15 years ago they reckoned they were going to make Koh Chang a high-end kind of place, never happened.

I had a very wealthy (probably $10 million+) Swedish friend who spent many years living in Thailand. His thoughts were that Thailand was not developed enough or 'clean' enough for him. For some years he had talked of going to live in Spain.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Last time I checked I retired at 52 and am worth about 3 million in Australia and about US$1 mill in Thailand...so target for Thai scam

But I'm not coming as long as they can 40 cycle me a positive PCR on arrival and lock me up for 14 days

You enjoy a rich fantasy life!

• Haha 1

When it comes to wealthy and more up-class turists, Thailand might be in competition with numerous attractive destinations around the World. So what will make Thailand a first choice for these potential visitors to come and spend their money here...????

• Like 1

"High earning high  quality". Qualities not neccesarily to be found in the same creature.

I note with amusement the self congratulations about the "Sandbox" caper. $2,500 spent on holiday is not exactly the goldmine. How much of that spending was for extra Covid tests, etc.?

If not for family I'd be headed elsewhere, maybe Costa Rica, or Portugal, and take my million or so baht with me.

• Like 1

You know, one of the things I have noticed over the years talking to visitors is how much resentment the bad half of taxi drivers causes. I and nobody I know knows of any country that has taxi divers with attitudes like this. Nothing is ever really done about it. In fairness I am not sure I know of many/any? countries that have taxi drivers as good as the "salt of the earth" good half of Thailand's taxi divers. Maybe Singapore.

• Like 1