TAT: Thailand needs high earning, high quality tourists - "value over volume" to get 80% back by 2023

webfact

5 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

I also feel that the people are not as open and friendly as they were back then

Having been here since 1995, I have to say I feel the complete opposite, IMO at street level Thailand has never been friendlier, or more accurately the ordinary Thai no longer has that reserve about engaging with foreigners. I have to exchange greetings with so many people when i am out and about in my area that sometimes it is almost too much for me - I feel like buying a false nose and mustache just to get the relief of being incognito  - yes I know, I should make the effort. -

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I remember about 15 years ago they reckoned they were going to make Koh Chang a high-end kind of place, never happened.

I had a very wealthy (probably $10 million+) Swedish friend who spent many years living in Thailand. His thoughts were that Thailand was not developed enough or 'clean' enough for him. For some years he had talked of going to live in Spain.

Hua Hin?  Lots of Scandinavian Expats have left there since 2015.  When we were there looking at Golf Courses, one of the the Course Managers tried to sell me his house, as did a few others while we were there (2 weeks). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Here is what sidewalks look like on Pattaya Klang, a major street in Pattaya. Pattaya is one of the major top 4 international tourist destinations in Thailand. Sidewalks, pedestrian walkways are in pathetic shape. Pattaya Tai sidewalk has been under construction for more than a year and still not finished and parts of the new sidewalk are already breaking.

Tourists, whether local or international, don't want to come to places with infrastructure that is falling apart.

Quality tourists want to come to high quality destinations, not places as shown in the below photos.

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

IMG_8450.JPG

Adventure tour!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Last time I checked I retired at 52 and am worth about 3 million in Australia and about US$1 mill in Thailand...so target for Thai scam

But I'm not coming as long as they can 40 cycle me a positive PCR on arrival and lock me up for 14 days

Ditto - except for the part about $3 mill Aus ????

3 hours ago, AussieBob9999 said:

Very true. 

And my question is how do they know that amount - what methods do they use to count tourist expenditures while they are in the country.  I guarantee they are not counting how much they spend with street vendors or local malls and markets or restaurants and bars etc. because there is no way they can count that.  So what are they counting.  TAT reckons Chinese tourists spend more than any other tourists - how do they know that. I reckon their spending numbers are as valid as their arrivals numbers - fantasies created to suit their narrative. 

I think they do exit surveys at the airport departure lounges. People are asked what they spent and how happy they were.

it’s very easy to skew those surveys by targeting a certain type of person to be surveyed. Not saying TAT did that, but it can easily be done.

Usually a 3rd party company would be employed to do the survey, but if they want to be employed again, they better come up with the right answers. Not saying they did that either, but it’s easily done.

and then there’s the sample size, the few times that TAT has revealed that, it’s been ridiculously low, certainly not statistically relevant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think they do exit surveys at the airport departure lounges. People are asked what they spent and how happy they were.

it’s very easy to skew those surveys by targeting a certain type of person to be surveyed. Not saying TAT did that, but it can easily be done.

Usually a 3rd party company would be employed to do the survey, but if they want to be employed again, they better come up with the right answers. Not saying they did that either, but it’s easily done.

and then there’s the sample size, the few times that TAT has revealed that, it’s been ridiculously low, certainly not statistically relevant.

That makes sense and is probably right on the nose.  TAT is all about the narrative, which is what the Govt wants to achieve - more Chinese tourists and less Western expats - but rich western tourists OK. 

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Here is what sidewalks look like on Pattaya Klang, a major street in Pattaya. Pattaya is one of the major top 4 international tourist destinations in Thailand. Sidewalks, pedestrian walkways are in pathetic shape. Pattaya Tai sidewalk has been under construction for more than a year and still not finished and parts of the new sidewalk are already breaking.

Tourists, whether local or international, don't want to come to places with infrastructure that is falling apart.

Quality tourists want to come to high quality destinations, not places as shown in the below photos.

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

IMG_8450.JPG

This is an unfair post.

Pictures of Ongoing work. 
Thai basher, eeh? Lots here I can see, negative comments, etc. Most I reckon are coming from those abroad. 

Yes, the worksite is a little different to what we are used to but so are the prices..... council fees, water rates, internet charges etc. 
You want the cake and eat it too. 

I like Thailand the way it is, it's not perfect but nor am I. 

Yes the OP is asking for quality tourists, it's a fair request. I reckon they should also ask for normal tourists, some of the freaks and weirdos, oddballs and misfits I see arriving is alarming. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Noteworthy in the Phuket Sandbox revival this year was the fact that each tourist spent 70,000 baht, he said. 

Big deal. Over the years in Pattaya I've seen and often met plenty of visitors who are happy to spend 30,000+ Baht a night on having fun here. And that's just what they spent in the bars, their food and hotel costs were on top. I met one guy in a bar beer in Jomtien who was on the last day of his holiday, and the night before he'd gone through 200,000 Baht in drinks, ringing the bell and bar fines. I thought he was making it up, but one of the service ladies I knew well had been with him and she confirmed it. Drop the focus on so-called "quality tourists", why would they want to come to a place with dirty beaches and a murky sea like Pattaya anyway, not to mention the endless scams, lack of pavements and dangerous traffic? Concentrate instead on what Pattaya (and Phuket to a lesser extent) is great at, providing endless fun for sex-starved foreigners.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

some of the freaks and weirdos, oddballs and misfits I see arriving is alarming. 

Are you one of the "good" falangs? Years ago a female EVP of Bangkok Bank went on record in the Bangkok Post as saying that farang retirees in Thailand were wierdos that no other country would take. They are not sharing your prejudices, they are making their own judgements - and you might not be judged as positively as you think.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Guderian said:

the night before he'd gone through 200,000 Baht in drinks, ringing the bell and bar fines.

Years ago I saw a guy with maybe 10 or 12 ladies in tow - smart guy, he did it right and they were costing him Bt500 each hard cash plus meals and accommodation. He had the time of his life for not that much money.

16 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Having been here since 1995, I have to say I feel the complete opposite, IMO at street level Thailand has never been friendlier, or more accurately the ordinary Thai no longer has that reserve about engaging with foreigners. I have to exchange greetings with so many people when i am out and about in my area that sometimes it is almost too much for me - I feel like buying a false nose and mustache just to get the relief of being incognito  - yes I know, I should make the effort. -

About the same, 1992. But we must be somehow sharing a thread spanning the Multiverse!  I could not possibly disagree with you more if I was paid to. I don't see any of what you are experiencing, nor have I in better part of a decade. Am envious of your version of The Bizarre-O World you're in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You may be right, but having lived here for a while, you should know by now, that none of this is appreciated, but that Thailand wants high-spending, overpaying tourists, who throw their money 'out of the window' for just a few days, before heading back to their home country. What long-term tourists or expats do to benefit Thailand's economy or population in the long term (spending way more long-term than a tourist, who's here for a week or two) is not what the ruling class  (and some in the tourism industry) care about.

Arrive as a tourist for 10 days, spending 100,000 baht, they want you,

but living here, spending a million baht over the length of a year, they despise you...

of course they do. why?  for one we come from the leading in my case the richest country on the planet and we went to the top universities that most Thai's can only dream of and our governments are far more democratic and offer far more benefits to those that are not as fortunate for various reasons.  not to mention the fact the every American has their day in court, including due process and the rule of law.  try suing a big company here in LOS, good luck

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand needs high quality tourists

If you want high quality tourists you need to provide high quality services eg

High quality ladyboys who pick pocket you in the streets, not old uglies

High quality immigration officers that fleece you if you want to stay longer,

High quality gem scams instead ofd the tired ones at Wat Po

High quality national Parks where double pricing robs you blind

High quality bar girls who actually go to the hotel with you after instead of only scamming you for drinks and tips all night

High quality coral you can touch before hitting you with high quality fines

High quality jet skis yo get scammed for repairs even though you only sat on it for holiday snaps

High quality drains to fall down or low power lines to decapitate you

The list goes on and on.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

About the same, 1992. But we must be somehow sharing a thread spanning the Multiverse!  I could not possibly disagree with you more if I was paid to. I don't see any of what you are experiencing, nor have I in better part of a decade. Am envious of your version of The Bizarre-O World you're in.

This is not my experience in upmarket malls etc. I could also tell you that I worked with primarily Thai Chinese and continue to have 'business networking' relations with them, but am not 'friends' with any of them - they are too insular for that - my friends from work are one or two Thai aristos and that's it.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

IMG_8450.JPG

I love that last photo! It's so 'Thai'!! 

• Like 2