Thai Amulets

leeky38

I am a collector of Thai amulets and is very fond of it. Not into business at all, but purely for interest.

Any one here is also a collector and wishes to share with me his/her knowledges.

I am only interested in old and genuine pieces.

Edited by leeky38

I only want to state that these huge Jatukam amulets look ridiculous.

Thank you, that is all.

Thanks for sharing your opinion... :o

Thank you, that's all as well....

I have about 30 different ones. Everywhere I went people just started giving them to me. I have them in a nice case. That's about as much as I know about them. They are intersting to look at and I guess i know a few of the names of some of them. I guess it started into a collection by accident.

PKG

I am a collector of Thai amulets and is very fond of it. Not into business at all, but purely for interest.

Any one here is also a collector and wishes to share with me his/her knowledges.

Well, i also occasionally collect them. I don't know that much about them because i would have to be able not only to speak Thai, but also read. Especially difficult are the old ones, the amount of knowledge one needs to separate genuine pieces from fakes and imitations is enormous. And genuine old pieces are mostly above what i can afford.

I want to start though collecting more, mostly newer pieces though, and mostly for artistic reasons. Some i have recently got are beautifully painted amulets, and i want to learn more about them, and collect them more systematically.

I don't care what anybody says, collecting nice things takes the mind off the constant troubles, especially now.

Well, i also occasionally collect them. I don't know that much about them because i would have to be able not only to speak Thai, but also read. Especially difficult are the old ones, the amount of knowledge one needs to separate genuine pieces from fakes and imitations is enormous. And genuine old pieces are mostly above what i can afford.

I want to start though collecting more, mostly newer pieces though, and mostly for artistic reasons. Some i have recently got are beautifully painted amulets, and i want to learn more about them, and collect them more systematically.

I don't care what anybody says, collecting nice things takes the mind off the constant troubles, especially now.

The first two I recieved were gifts from my wife, that had belonged to her father. I had no idea of value until I took them to a gold shop to be encased. One had been wrapped with a copper wire to make a hook to allow it to be strung and hung from neck, and the jeweler pointed out quite pointedly that a small chip was there before he started to cut off the wire. It got me to thinking why the fuss. When he brought out the amulets in their new cases I asked them if there was any value to them. He told me the chipped one was worth at least 50,000 baht and the other had a greater value or so he thought. The others I have have been given to me by my mother in law over the years along with metallic coins of mostly the King(s)

I bought a Thai magazine 8-9 years back showing many types of amulets and their pricing.

I hold a small number of them. All of them save one my fiance' gave me, were gifts from my soon to be Father-in-Law.

These 2 are my favorites. The silver one on the big chain is of Umpa Tim, "Grandfather Tim" a famous Thai Monk that passed away awhile back, there are blessings he inscribed along the front of the coin where is robes are. Apparently for good fortune, when her pops gave it to me he said "Here I already have money, you keep this, it will be good for you" ...that was several months and several more figures ago. Wow..all I can say is wow and Thanks to her Dad.

The second Brass looking one is very old, perhaps 200-300yrs and it's a lil happy Buddah with a big joyful smile thats almost contagious, sitting in a lil leaf alcove. In his right hand he holds a gord of rice and in his left a lotus flower. Along the back is the "Oot"? Symbol. Apparently this is for bounty & virtue.... We could all use a lil more of that from time to time. Since I have worn him I Have had a good bit more of both. I just wish I was better at subduing my passion (quick temper)

The Silver ring in the same picture with the Brass Buddah is a "Tah Paiyanna" Naga Stone. There is said to be a cave in Seconakorn? I know I am butchering the spelling, near a Wat that has these special stones of various hues, each has a different power associated with it. The black one I am wearing is known for it's protective powers. So far so good, I have been out of the way of several incomming mortar rounds in Iraq since then...lets hope it stays that way.

post-42784-1181226636_thumb.jpg

post-42784-1181226754_thumb.jpg

I collect them. Particularly from a certain temple in Samut Songkram also certain Phra Pom Si Nah amulets.

Have a few very old silver Laotian Buddhas that I bought years ago that were set in gold frames to be worn, these I have come to understand are extremely valuable to collectors.

I collect them. Particularly from a certain temple in Samut Songkram also certain Phra Pom Si Nah amulets.

Have a few very old silver Laotian Buddhas that I bought years ago that were set in gold frames to be worn, these I have come to understand are extremely valuable to collectors.

In Samut Songkram, is that the temple in the middle of town near the market? I was there once. We bought gold leaf for the Buddah (or was it a monk), lotus flowers and did the fortune sticks. I just thought it was a local wat. What is special about it? Just curious.

Was once at the amulet market near Tha Phra Chan Pier in Bangkok. I came across a couple of young Thais by the river who had made a small fire with some newspaper and placed some amulets on it, presumably to try and char them a little and 'age' them with carbon, to increase their value. Tried to sell them to me but I wasn't interested. Guess there are fakes around lol.

Hi Jimmy,

Thank your for your above. appreciated.

May I know what so special about "Phra Pom Si Nah" amulets ?

and also where is Samut Songkram located ?

Many thanks in advance.

In Samut Songkram, is that the temple in the middle of town near the market? I was there once. We bought gold leaf for the Buddah (or was it a monk), lotus flowers and did the fortune sticks. I just thought it was a local wat. What is special about it? Just curious.

I am interested to know what is special both about the temple and the amulets Jimmy mentioned. Would appreciate if you could let me know, if you have the information. :o Thanks....

• 9 months later...
In another thread on this forum about jatukams there is a link to a good web-site that offers descriptions of most popular amulet subjects.

Under the Buhdism sub-forum.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Hi Soundman,

Greetings !

Do u have the link you mentioned above for my reference ?

Thanks !

:o