Know-it-all-farangs

Jet Gorgon

Yeah I would have to say Chanchao really said it best "If you still meet newbie foreigners then you're still too much of a newbie yourself. smile.gif

" I don't really even run into those kind of people any more. Except when I'm outside of Thailand. I usually just let them go on about what ever and pretty much tune them out. Though I do find the need to sort them out when they say silly crap like derogatory remarks about Thai women in general, or assume it's a poverty stricken 3rd world country, or assume it's a haven for pedo's or something equally as moronic.

Or............"they eat dogs there!!!!"

That one REALLY pisses me off :o

Penkoprod

Heheh, Yeah I say "No Thats Korea, Issan Thais eat Rats :D"

Seriously though,ever take a road trip up to Auydthya and see them all BBQ'ed in stands along the road?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I would have to say Chanchao really said it best "If you still meet newbie foreigners then you're still too much of a newbie yourself. smile.gif

" I don't really even run into those kind of people any more. Except when I'm outside of Thailand. I usually just let them go on about what ever and pretty much tune them out. Though I do find the need to sort them out when they say silly crap like derogatory remarks about Thai women in general, or assume it's a poverty stricken 3rd world country, or assume it's a haven for pedo's or something equally as moronic.

Or............"they eat dogs there!!!!"

That one REALLY pisses me off :D

Penkoprod

Eeerrrmm, they do eat dogs in parts of Thailand. Haven't you heard of the bucket man? :o Various bugs (such as crickets), rats and other animals that Westerners don't usually consume are also eaten. Why does the truth (albeit a massive generalisation) piss you off so much?

Anyone who claims to be an expert isnt worth my ear time in my opinion. Having said that I dont tend to meet many people who claim to be experts.

Edited by madjbs

I always gave info when asked, but newbies spouting the right and wrong ways of doing things in Thailand always irked me.

They've been in Thailand ten minutes, and they already know the whole landscape. Especially why you got ripped off and they did not. Experiences, posters?

--------------------------------

Hello. My name is Pepe' and I am a newbie...

Otherwise, I shall continue to distribute pointless and useless commentary on anything I can find. After all, if anyone should contribute silence to a debate about know-it-all farangs it should be me. I am the diametric opposite, being a thick as pig poo look krueng who knows nothing. Given the circular nature of the universe, that makes me the same as a know-it-all farang.

Steve,

I doubt you are the former, and I don't want to know about the latter.

This is wonderful! Some lovely word groupings: "oxygen thieves", "ear time", "thick as pig poo". :D

On second thought, not that I ever had a first one, maybe I should have just said people in general rather than newbies (what constitutes a newbie? um, someone new?). If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we unbored Bendix for a minute and we know what to get Dirk for his birthday: golf tees. Are we still friends, t.s.? :o

Edited by Jet Gorgon

My job is communication so I not only have to listen to what people have to say, I have to interpret it too.

Most of what I hear I forget when the day is done.

I have an advantage too in that I don't hear too well from the left, so I sit to the right of loud people.

IMO, it's good for me to let people talk and I'm a good listener by way of my work.

And the best part is, I don't have to ask questions.

A guy named Max Ehrmann wrote a nice little piece on how to by in the world.

This is my favourite extract that I always recall when somebody gets bothersome:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, for they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself to others you may become vain and bitter,

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Edited by qwertz

Guilty on the first two counts.

Since talking is my job, I do a lot less of it in free time.

Drinking is something else.

Since I can't drink and work (intelligibly) I have been known to down a few in my time out.

Oh, I see the venom here. OK, kids, sandblast away.

Sounds to me you are just the kind of person you are refering to. Are you looking in a mirror :o   How long is it before you know enough to know that someone elses opinion is wrong?  Does an idiot who has been in thailand for 10 years know more - about whatever

than some switched on person who has only been here a year or two :D

Sounds to me you are just the kind of person you are refering to. Are you looking in a mirror :o   How long is it before you know enough to know that someone elses opinion is wrong?  Does an idiot who has been in thailand for 10 years know more - about whatever

I am a kid at heart. Totally agree. I have been called many things here, which of course are other people's opinions of me. I can add idiot to that list if you like (it will be entry#2,326).

Being a kid at heart, I really like carnivals, especially at the temples. But, despite your nic, you don't sound like a happy carney camper. Just my opinion.

I want to go to Vancouver! <I'd really be a newbie there! have to learn the difference between a loonie and a twonie all over again!!!>

:o Lovely, JD. Welcome! Then, after you give me all your loonies and toonies to examine, I'll teach you fin, sawbuck and C note.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

I am a kid at heart. Totally agree. I have been called many things here, which of course are other people's opinions of me. I can add idiot to that list if you like (it will be entry#2,326).

Being a kid at heart, I really like carnivals, especially at the temples. But, despite your nic, you don't sound like a happy carney camper. Just my opinion.

Well, your opinion must be valid if you have more posts than me :D  I dont know how you could guestimate my happiness level from my post - but if you send me some money i would be more happy :bah:   My nic - as you say - is a company name and not indicitive of my persona.  Sounds a bit gay when i come to think of it :D  Dont know about the snake head :D

I doubt you are the former, and I don't want to know about the latter.

steveromagnino is my friend's friend.I met him once in real life at a Thanks giving party 4 years ago. And I see him often in TH TV 's ads.

He is a cute mixed(Th-Nz) boy and knows alot about TH culture and traditional plus he is a smart boy.:o

Edited by BambinA

Steve,

For the bone spur you may need some serious anti-inflammatory drugs, especially if it's acting up- cortisone, in the worst case- and then prescription anti-inflammatories, and then if your problems are only mild you need only try some ibuprofen frequently until symptoms fade.

Operations are tricky, as usually they form on tendon/muscle attachments.

For the coffee stain, try spraying the shirt with hairspray before washing.

And I don't know about the other stuff. :o

"Steven"

Well, your opinion must be valid if you have more posts than me :D  I dont know how you could guestimate my happiness level from my post - but if you send me some money i would be more happy :D   My nic - as you say - is a company name and not indicitive of my persona.  Sounds a bit gay when i come to think of it :o  Dont know about the snake head :D

Money for honey, is it? OK, ten baht is in the post. I also have a bridge to sell, if you are interested.

:D

Steve,

For the bone spur you may need some serious anti-inflammatory drugs, especially if it's acting up- cortisone, in the worst case- and then prescription anti-inflammatories, and then if your problems are only mild you need only try some ibuprofen frequently until symptoms fade.

Operations are tricky, as usually they form on tendon/muscle attachments.

For the coffee stain, try spraying the shirt with hairspray before washing.

And I don't know about the other stuff. :D

"Steven"

Know-it-all or just trying to be helpful? Sorry, Steven, I had to say it. :o

I want to go to Vancouver! <I'd really be a newbie there! have to learn the difference between a loonie and a twonie all over again!!!>

:o Lovely, JD. Welcome! Then, after you give me all your loonies and toonies to examine, I'll teach you fin, sawbuck and C note.

:D haven't seen Canadian $$ in 10 years <not counting the odd quarter that would make it to Denver :D

But in all honesty I would only be a newbie in Vancouver as we have a place in Nova Scotia :D

If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we unbored Bendix for a minute

Barely. And temporarily.

Not my fault they refused to play. And a minute is pretty &lt;deleted&gt; temporary.

Maybe I could start a Paris thread, seeing as how she got let outta jail 40 days early an all. I think I'll change my last name to Hilton. Jettie Hilton. Not bad.

Or maybe, Hi, I'm Jet Hilton, sister of Paris. Ask anything you want about her dog.

If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we unbored Bendix for a minute

Barely. And temporarily.

Not my fault they refused to play. And a minute is pretty &lt;deleted&gt; temporary.

Maybe I could start a Paris thread, seeing as how she got let outta jail 40 days early an all. I think I'll change my last name to Hilton. Jettie Hilton. Not bad.

Or maybe, Hi, I'm Jet Hilton, sister of Paris. Ask anything you want about her dog.

Dear Jet, please do open a Paris Hilton thread. I'm just dying to let loose on that ho.

I liken offering help/advice on thailand to friends is like offering help to a friend with a marriage problem, it goes in one ear and out the other,and they will do exactly what they want and will not thankyou for it,.i jumped on a guy that was beating his girlfriend up back in england years ago, as i got the better of him she takes a shoe off and starts to attack me !,. i walk the other way now and say nothing ,.

I liken offering help/advice on thailand to friends is like offering help to a friend with a marriage problem, it goes in one ear and out the other,and they will do exactly what they want and will not thankyou for it,.i jumped on a guy that was beating his girlfriend up back in england years ago, as i got the better of him she takes a shoe off and starts to attack me !,. i walk the other way now and say nothing ,.

Geez, sorry to hear that Mike. You OK? I mean seeing that nervous tic in your writing and all uhoh, I hear the hammer falling...