Know-it-all-farangs

Jet Gorgon

I always gave info when asked, but newbies spouting the right and wrong ways of doing things in Thailand always irked me.

They've been in Thailand ten minutes, and they already know the whole landscape. Especially why you got ripped off and they did not. Experiences, posters?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still meet newbie foreigners then you're still too much of a newbie yourself. :D

Just get over it and work it out amongst yourselves, okay? :D

That is so true....!

Even if a little help is great for the new kids sometimes ! :o

even worse than people who just got off the plane 5 minutes ago and claim to know everything are the ones who have been here 10-20 years, never moved from the same bar stool and claim to know it all and like to talk down to people when in fact they are so out of touch with what is going on all around them and in reality they know F-all.

even worse than people who just got off the plane 5 minutes ago and claim to know everything are the ones who have been here 10-20 years, never moved from the same bar stool and claim to know it all and like to talk down to people when in fact they are so out of touch with what is going on all around them and in reality they know F-all.

:o

anyone who spouts off as an authority on all things thai is irksome, new or not.

i also find the word newbie irritating, it is generally used by someone who fancies themselves to be superior in some way. people who are new generally don't refer to themselves as newbies

I always gave info when asked, but newbies spouting the right and wrong ways of doing things in Thailand always irked me.

They've been in Thailand ten minutes, and they already know the whole landscape. Especially why you got ripped off and they did not. Experiences, posters?

One of the first things i learnt in Thailand...

I've been here long enough to know i know f*** all!

(its an attitude thang)

As an expert on just about everything, I feel it is my solemn-duty to share that wisdom with everyone, regardless of either how long they have been in Thailand, or if they even want me too.

I'm a giving kind of person.

anyone who spouts off as an authority on all things thai is irksome, new or not.

i also find the word newbie irritating, it is generally used by someone who fancies themselves to be superior in some way. people who are new generally don't refer to themselves as newbies

You are right, ts. We always referred to newbies as FNGs.

As an expert on just about everything, I feel it is my solemn-duty to share that wisdom with everyone, regardless of either how long they have been in Thailand, or if they even want me too.

You really are bored, Bendix. :o

One of the first things i learnt in Thailand...

I've been here long enough to know i know f*** all!

(its an attitude thang)

Wolfie finally admitting he knows f*** all, never thought i would see the day, lol !!!!!!!

Nothing to see here folks... move on .... hurry up all you rubber kneckers!! :o

Oh - you're still here ... anyhow.. :D

This internet personality of mine is loud, opinionated & generally full of sh!t. :D A bit like myself IRL.... :D

Don't come knocking on this door for pearls of wisdom. All you'll get is wad of dunny paper... :D

Up to you!!

Soundman.

I think you've got it the wrong way round. The know-it-all farangs that p*ss me off are the ones who have been in Thailand 10 mins (1 day, one year, whatever ) longer than you have and therefore think that everything they say is right and everything you say is wrong. One of their first questions is "so how long have you been here then" and then start trying to show off their 'superior knowledge'.

Give me a newbie anytime.

So does Jet knows everything yet?

No, not yet. I am doing a degree in quantum physics, so I do not know everything yet. But Mr Hawkings is helping me. I know everything else except some gardening stuff, like propagation and picking the right pots and ladybugs, and the extermination of pests. All in time.

(Please check your spelling when you post, Tijnebijn.)

You know, when you do a visa run, you can always count on there being one f#*^wit amongst the group. Case in point, my g/f and I went to Mae Sai recently and there was one older farang guy on the bus that just knew it all. We ignored the <deleted> that was spounting from his mouth for the most part, you know the sorta guy I mean, been there, done that, blah blah blah. Even at lunch, when he was corrected about the minimum financial requirements for a retirement visa extension, to negate the visa runs (his view was that if can show immigration that you can support yourself thats it, that is all you need and that there is no minimum finances required to be shown in any way) I thought to myself, life is too short to have to put up with these oxygen thieves................................ :o

You really are bored, Bendix. :D

Bendix may be bored but is always on the ball !

Perhaps it's time to buy a bigger pair of knickers Jet :o

Naka.

No, not yet. I am doing a degree in quantum physics, so I do not know everything yet. But Mr Hawkings is helping me. I know everything else except some gardening stuff, like propagation and picking the right pots and ladybugs, and the extermination of pests. All in time.

I can help with the hydroponics 99..

Personally I find the longer I am in Thailand the more I realise how little I know about the place. I guess that's what keeps me coming back, would be boring if it were all so simple.

There are two types that irk me:-

The ones that have been here a while and dispense their wisdom as if they're God passing down the stone tablets and the word is as it is written when in fact it is only their opinion which can be wrong as well as right.

And the new guys on the block who come for advice and then totally ignore it, go off and make a pr@t of themselves and suddenly are back wanting you to sort their mess out for them.

I also hate the term newbies, it is so belittling. We were all newbies once, some more so than others but newbies all the same.

There is a third category. Those who, safe in the coccoon of anonymity, make snide remarks they'd never make mano a mano. But they don't exist as real people only cyber shadows.

VERY WELL SAID :o

What spelling?

I am happy to hear you do not know everything yet Jet.It just sounds funny.I think you are happy to hear that I am not an English teacher,cause my spelling ,well just ..... :o