Know-it-all-farangs

Jet Gorgon

Yeah I would have to say Chanchao really said it best "If you still meet newbie foreigners then you're still too much of a newbie yourself. smile.gif

" I don't really even run into those kind of people any more. Except when I'm outside of Thailand. I usually just let them go on about what ever and pretty much tune them out. Though I do find the need to sort them out when they say silly crap like derogatory remarks about Thai women in general, or assume it's a poverty stricken 3rd world country, or assume it's a haven for pedo's or something equally as moronic.

Or............"they eat dogs there!!!!"

That one REALLY pisses me off :o

Penkoprod

but they do.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is wonderful! Some lovely word groupings: "oxygen thieves", "ear time", "thick as pig poo". :D

On second thought, not that I ever had a first one, maybe I should have just said people in general rather than newbies (what constitutes a newbie? um, someone new?). If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we unbored Bendix for a minute and we know what to get Dirk for his birthday: golf tees. Are we still friends, t.s.? :o

jet, i just checked my profile, it seems i have no friends.

I want to go to Vancouver! <I'd really be a newbie there! have to learn the difference between a loonie and a twonie all over again!!!>

:o Lovely, JD. Welcome! Then, after you give me all your loonies and toonies to examine, I'll teach you fin, sawbuck and C note.

after a half-sack and a mickey.

Man .... I'd kill for a moosehead right now .... a bit too sweet for me normally but!

&lt;deleted&gt; is a moosehead?

Is it the same as a black and tan?

Canadian beer ... nowhere NEAR as good as a black and tan

As much as people seem to have a problem with newbees how about the 'been there, done that, wasnt as good as it was 10 yrs ago" brigade.

As has been said before anyone who claims to know it all about any topic or country, be it after 10 weeks or 10 years has much to learn.

This is wonderful! Some lovely word groupings: "oxygen thieves", "ear time", "thick as pig poo". :D

On second thought, not that I ever had a first one, maybe I should have just said people in general rather than newbies (what constitutes a newbie? um, someone new?). If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we unbored Bendix for a minute and we know what to get Dirk for his birthday: golf tees. Are we still friends, t.s.? :o

jet, i just checked my profile, it seems i have no friends.

&lt;deleted&gt;? How long you been here, t.s.? You gotta add your friends, you dufus. Click on the avatar of somebody you like and it has a line "add as friend" you monkey elbow. grrrrrrrrrr. You been on my friend list for two minutes now. You check somebody's profile and you can see who their f**ing friends are, too. You buy the next round.

....perhaps some people consider a person a newbie another person just because of age or number of posts or joined date......

not knowing 99% of the poeple here directly, I feel very difficoult to understand who is really new in LOS and who is not.

...also there are people living here from 20 years who know less than someone arrived 20 days ago, matter of interests, culture, brains, ......

I live in SE Asia from 4 years (expat), I have an asian wife, but I gave up with the feeling "irked" or "pleased".....the FAUNA of good and bad people (expats, foreigners, locals) I met during these years made me impossible to generalize and define a person as newbie or oldtimer......., and I don't feel better or worse in meeting any of those

Nobody knows everything. You can be a know it all about Thailand no matter how long you've stayed here, and still be wrong. I met a guy who has been in Thailand 20 years and barely speaks Thai. Is he still a newbie?

Nobody knows everything. You can be a know it all about Thailand no matter how long you've stayed here, and still be wrong. I met a guy who has been in Thailand 20 years and barely speaks Thai. Is he still a newbie?

JR Texas: Uh.......well.......doh!

Eight pages in and we still do not have a definition of a 'newbie'. Yes, it was clearly a case of reaching for the wooden spoon (because surely the OP could not be that arrogant?), and it is almost trite to note that 'know-it-all-farangs' are to be found at all levels of Thai experience. Perhaps this is why no clear definition of 'newbie' has been forthcoming? I especially like the post about people avoiding newbies - or worse, being newbies themselves if they happen to meet newbies. The poster neatly ties this in with the 'know-it-all newbie' bit. In other words, 'George is a know-it-all. George is a newbie. Therefore, all newbies are know-it-alls' ...I LOVE the logic. This, of course, proves the point that 'Sam is a long-term expat. Since Sam is not a newbie, he therefore cannot be a know-it-all.' (This completes the circle - read again from the top of this paragraph.)

But seriously, though... ummmmm... aahhhhhhhh...

I think the OP went like this...

(I always gave info when asked, but newbies spouting the right and wrong ways of doing things in Thailand always irked me.

They've been in Thailand ten minutes, and they already know the whole landscape. Especially why you got ripped off and they

did not. Please contribute your views and make this a wonderful and exclusive mutual admiration society by denigrating all

those rabble, lower-caste tourists and newly arrived expats).

I am not suggesting the OP was a flame, but it was close to the fireplace. :o

I think this thread is not about newbies or old asia hands - but more about morons that get on your nerves, & then proceed to iritate you like an annoying mosquito that gets into your ear while you are sleeping.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I am not suggesting the OP was a flame, but it was close to the fireplace. :o

As near as d4mmit! :D She's been known to catch a few on her line from time to time.

Edited by Robski

I have a friend, who came here in 1958, so he's been here 49 years. He has The Order of The White Elephant, and knows a hel_l of a lot about Thailand, being an ex diplomat. I was in his car once when he asked me to tell his wife's driver to turn left. Not knowing Thai means nothing about knowing the country, although knowing Thai language obviously helps most people.

LOL ... Neer ... great point! If the guy gets lost all he has to do is ask someone ..... no wait find someone that speaks Thai to .....

Not knowing Thai does imply a lack of knowledge in many ways :D

but hel_l I love guys that have been here 20 years and can't speak read or write! Illiterates are sexy! :o

Edited by jdinasia

Yeah I would have to say Chanchao really said it best "If you still meet newbie foreigners then you're still too much of a newbie yourself. smile.gif

" I don't really even run into those kind of people any more. Except when I'm outside of Thailand. I usually just let them go on about what ever and pretty much tune them out. Though I do find the need to sort them out when they say silly crap like derogatory remarks about Thai women in general, or assume it's a poverty stricken 3rd world country, or assume it's a haven for pedo's or something equally as moronic.

Or............"they eat dogs there!!!!"

That one REALLY pisses me off :o

Penkoprod

And rats ,cats and anything that walks.hops,slithers,swims and flies.

I liken offering help/advice on thailand to friends is like offering help to a friend with a marriage problem, it goes in one ear and out the other,and they will do exactly what they want and will not thankyou for it,.i jumped on a guy that was beating his girlfriend up back in england years ago, as i got the better of him she takes a shoe off and starts to attack me !,. i walk the other way now and say nothing ,.

Geez, sorry to hear that Mike. You OK? I mean seeing that nervous tic in your writing and all uhoh, I hear the hammer falling...

Nervous tic , wossat ? hammer falling ?is there an auction on ? :o

I always gave info when asked, but newbies spouting the right and wrong ways of doing things in Thailand always irked me.

They've been in Thailand ten minutes, and they already know the whole landscape. Especially why you got ripped off and they did not. Experiences, posters?

Be honest now. Are you actually living in Thailand?

If so, why?

I always gave info when asked, but newbies spouting the right and wrong ways of doing things in Thailand always irked me.

They've been in Thailand ten minutes, and they already know the whole landscape. Especially why you got ripped off and they did not. Experiences, posters?

Be honest now. Are you actually living in Thailand?

If so, why?

LOL ... well she's not living in Cambodia :o

Mostly anyone who lives more than 60 minutes(not 10 minutes as the OP claimed) :o can give you a cultural insight lectures about Thailand cause most ppl can interact by speaking smiles in the land of smiles!!! :D

ps;NO need for Thai language or reading about this country required to talk BS :D