which airline do you fly and why?

World Traveller2

Trying to contact by phone all the airlines that fly Bangkok->PNH (in order to learn luggage allowances and how much for extra bag). Unable to get through even on the so-called boutique aurline Bangkok Airways.

And I thought over an hour to reach an airline (Air Canada) was just in Canada. Apparently economics circumstances +COVID?) has adversely affected customer service for all airlines. I am happy to pay more for a ticket (well, maybe not as much as Thai Airways charges...) but it becomes ridicoys if it is faster to go in person by bus to the office.

Anyone know if a premiere service airline operating in Thailand for flights to Cambodia? Generally, I fly BKK AIRWAYS but this recent experience has me pausing to consider.

Apparently airlines, like every industry in every country is cutting back on customer service compared to ten years ago.

Cranky old man

If I may narrow this question down...

Of the airlines currently (or even normally)  flying direct from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, which do you prefer...

1. Bangkok Airways

2. Thai Smile

3  Thai Airways (no flights)

4. Lanmei Airlines

5. Cambodia Airways

6. Etc

Edited by World Traveller2

1 minute ago, World Traveller2 said:

Better than Emirates?

Depends on where you go.

Europe <---> Asia

1. As a general rule the Business Class on Emirates was the best... 20 years ago ???? I used to do LHR DXB SIN 2 or 3 times a month with them!

2. Now, amongst the "Gulf Airlines" Etihad & Qatar tend to lead... Oman was pretty good. All of them are OK if you don't mind a stop just in the middle of your long flight.

3. If you consider non-direct flight Singapore Airline is top, as well.

4. Finnair, Austrian, Swiss could be good (on Business) or OK (on Economy)

Asia Regional

It's all about what is available for your destination.

When based in Shenzhen (pre-covid) and flying out from Hong Kong, I used Cathay Pacific a lot (for Regional & Long Haul to Europe).

Hope it'll help

35 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

Trying to contact by phone all the airlines

Jeez, the 1980's called looking for you.

These days most info is provided via this interwebs thingy.

Bangkok Airways (PG) has three fare buckets for BKK-PNH: Web Promotion, Web Saver and Web Freedom. All three show 20 Kg baggage allowance.

Extra bag: https://www.bangkokair.com/baggage-allowance

Just do a dummy booking.

But I do see this:

Free baggage allowance is extended to 30kgs for Economy Class and 50kgs for Business class traveling until 26 March 2022

pgbkkpnh.jpg

Edited by mtls2005

When I first started going to Thailand regularly in 2004 I flew Thai airways for about $1100 to $1500 return from Melbourne Australia. Then the discount airlines started and I started flying Air Asia which wasn't that flash but OK. I was going to Phuket in those days so I had to stop somewhere. That was supercheap and I found the legroom was the same as Thai Airways. Thai airways filled you up with food but it was often a late night flight so who wants a big meal.

Then I started with Jetstar who are excellent for what I want. Direct flights to Bangkok and Phuket. Pay a bit extra for legroom and meals if you want it. Often $400 to $600 return. Save and stay at nice hotels. Got a booking in February for $300 return. This is all AUD of course. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

3 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Depends on where you go.

Europe <---> Asia

1. As a general rule the Business Class on Emirates was the best... 20 years ago ???? I used to do LHR DXB SIN 2 or 3 times a month with them!

2. Now, amongst the "Gulf Airlines" Etihad & Qatar tend to lead... Oman was pretty good. All of them are OK if you don't mind a stop just in the middle of your long flight.

Asia Regional

When based in Shenzhen (pre-covid) and flying out from Hong Kong, I used Cathay Pacific a lot (for Regional & Long Haul to Europe).

My waittimetime was only 3 hour in Doha.I came from norway(oslo)

Hope it'll help

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Bangkok Airways (PG) has three fare buckets for BKK-PNH: Web Promotion, Web Saver and Web Freedom. All three show 20 Kg baggage allowance.

Just do a dummy booking.

But I do see this:

Free baggage allowance is extended to 30kgs for Economy Class and 50kgs for Business class traveling until 26 March 2022

pgbkkpnh.jpg

Yeah, I saw that deal and was about to jump on it. But I hesitate for two reasons ..

1. Maybe e-visa requires a return ticket (Cambo website doesn't explain) so I need to talk with a human being.

2. Couldn't find price for extra bag on their website. Maybe 30Kg means *in one piece*

Called twice and gave up after 15 minutes - in my phone plan "unlimited" means max 15 minutes per call. At least Air Canada calls you back, albeit 48 hours later!

• Like 1

Maybe 30Kg means *in one piece*

Yes, it does.

Couldn't find price for extra bag on their website.

https://www.bangkokair.com/baggage-allowance

39 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

but it becomes ridicoys if it is faster to go in person by bus to the office.

Yeah, good luck with that.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Good question.

I have been a Singapore Airlines fan for over 20 years. When Emirates started flying out of Stansted I used them. I got stuck in Bali when the Covid poo hit the fan in March 2020. The only flight I could get out was with Qatar. I flew back to Thailand with them in May. They really are very good and will have my business if schedules suit (I am paying myself and sit in the back of the bus)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

Better than Emirates?

I always fly Emirates long haul as they fly from Nice( France) which is 20 mins drive from my home. It’s a very good airline, no complaints . I prefer Singapore airways but I’d have to go to Paris to board . If flying to Bali , Australia, Auckland, I would book them. If flying to Myanmar ( not any more) Phuket, Cambodia,Vietnam, Malaysia etc would take Air Asia or Bangkok airlines. No problems either. South America, British airways or KLM. 

20 minutes ago, geisha said:

I always fly Emirates long haul as they fly from Nice( France) which is 20 mins drive from my home. It’s a very good airline, no complaints . I prefer Singapore airways but I’d have to go to Paris to board . If flying to Bali , Australia, Auckland, I would book them. If flying to Myanmar ( not any more) Phuket, Cambodia,Vietnam, Malaysia etc would take Air Asia or Bangkok airlines. No problems either. South America, British airways or KLM. 

Before i fly thai airwas and SAS.After thai airways refuse to refund my tickets 2 year ago i will never ever use them.

55 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Depends on where you go.

Europe <---> Asia

Asia Regional

Hope it'll help

Agree, except:

Oman Air: Had maybe the best BC 7,8 years ago. Sharp decline in service price/value since 2018 or so.

Swiss: I flew first time with them in BC in mid November MUC-ZRH-BKK. The BC seating feels more like a Eco plus, service on flight ok, but more than one hour late from ZRH.

This week I had to rebook the return. It was impossible to change the flight date on their website (impossible to change the expiry date of a credit card). eMail was not answered, so I had to call them, to get a payment of -yes! - 1.28 Euro done. The promised confirmation eMail never came though I can see on the Swiss site that the rebooking is done.

To pay a laughable fee of a bit more than 1 Euro cost me about 50 for the phone call.

Never again.

1 hour ago, World Traveller2 said:

Yeah, I saw that deal and was about to jump on it. But I hesitate for two reasons ..

1. Maybe e-visa requires a return ticket (Cambo website doesn't explain) so I need to talk with a human being.

2. Couldn't find price for extra bag on their website. Maybe 30Kg means *in one piece*

Called twice and gave up after 15 minutes - in my phone plan "unlimited" means max 15 minutes per call. At least Air Canada calls you back, albeit 48 hours later!

Hey whinger, better do it more than 4 hours before because scheduled flight time because last minute it will cost even more.

Zone 1 (Thailand) to Zone 2 is $11 per kilo. So, that 20 kg bag you want to haul to PNH is 'gonna cost'ya $220 USD, much more than the flight!

On 12/15/2021 at 5:59 PM, mtls2005 said:

Extra bag: https://www.bangkokair.com/baggage-allowance

Just do a dummy booking.

But I do see this:

pgbkkpnh.jpg

Well, I am on the very webpage you mention (not yet done a dummy booking). Strange that they don't advertise before getting that far about the 50% more luggage allowance.

When i started coming to Thailand i used to take direct flights from Amsterdam , with EVA or China Airlines . After i came more , so i started looking in the better frequent flyer program of the 2 and i signed up for China Airlines . I travelled multiple times in business class with them on miles or just for free ( the upgraded me on the counter without me even asking for it ) . A few years ago the direct route was cancelled , so i started looking different options .

Left on the choice was

Qatar , Etihad and Emirates . , all about halfway of Brussels-BKK . so a nice stop in the middle , which i found attractive ( and still do ) . Qatar was the 1st 1 out since i did read about strong alcohol rules in Qatar , idk if it is true , but if im in a airport waiting for a few hours , i'd like a few drinks .

Left over was Etihad and Emirates . Between the 2 i did choose Etihad because of the slightly better FF program . If i can come again ( hopefully not too long from now ) i will try to book with Etihad again , starting again where i left off ( because of covid ) .