old earthing of sorts.

Kwasaki

Bought a new water pump and the old earth seemed OK just wired onto the car port steel frame. 

Question :-

Would proper electrician improve it or do think it will be still be OK left alone.??? 

16396278260361467642707.thumb.jpg.5f26d009c5c70c7519ad8a4d3209c7e9.jpg

Edited by Kwasaki

It's probably a pretty good earth. Of course it would be better if the earthing was run back to your distribution board, but I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

You do have earth leakage protection don't you (RCD / RCBO / Safe-T-Cut).

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's probably a pretty good earth. Of course it would be better if the earthing was run back to your distribution board, but I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

My house only earthed on the water pump and the electric showers each of which has another on wall chang trip switches being powered from trip switches from the consumer unit.

My electric comes in house on Chang swing arm switch which then goes to the T cut,  which then to the consumer unit which then goes by wire to all other trip switches before showers etc if you get it. 

So my earthing consist of house steel frame and car port steel frame.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, Muhendis said:

A brief word about Safe-T-Cut mentioned above which is oft used for shock protection.

Please follow the rule and test regularly. Monthly is recommended.

I just replaced mine because the test didn't work.

Curiosity being what it is, I dismantled the faulty unit which, at ten years old is well out of guarantee.

Cause of failure was the solenoid which was pretty well jammed and could not possibly have saved any poor soul in the event of an electrical fault.

Reason for the jam was the plastic coil former tube had shrunk over time and was firmly gripping the armature preventing it from moving.

Thanks my old T cut has proven to be reliable and trips out on test or faults.

My main concern was no earthing fitted to showers Or water pump,  washing m/c , computer plug in point so they something I rigged up. 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:10 PM, Crossy said:

If I put a earthing rod in a place where the ground is nearly always wet is that a problem. ???

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

If I put a earthing rod in a place where the ground is nearly always wet is that a problem. ???

Sounds like a good spot for a rod.

BUT

There are potential problems when you have multiple independent rods which are not bonded together (by your building steel for example). In normal operation there's no issue but if you get a close by lightning ground-strike you could end up with a large potential between your "earthed" objects. It's not very likely, but we've got at least one member where it killed an aircon. It's one of those things that's not a problem, until it is.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Sounds like a good spot for a rod.

BUT

There are potential problems when you have multiple independent rods which are not bonded together (by your building steel for example). In normal operation there's no issue but if you get a close by lightning ground-strike you could end up with a large potential between your "earthed" objects. It's not very likely, but we've got at least one member where it killed an aircon. It's one of those things that's not a problem, until it is.

On considering the position of the earth rod in a sheltered area under carport roof it's not a large open area to anywhere else I'll go with it. Where bottle is. 

1639807918306652122950.thumb.jpg.673b5f0754999864ce0867fb25af6fc5.jpg

I've found a problem with the carport steel seems like something has nibbled at some wires running around the car port steel it's a wire running to a fence light. 

The fence light works OK and when I touch the car port steelework in a clean place I don't feel anything. So kinda weird.

The thing is when I connected the old earth wire used on the old pump to the 3 point wall socket that has no power going to it unless it's switched on which it wasn't the T cut in the house tripped out all power. 

I guess it's obviously the earth wire connected to the car port getting a live touch, its been a bad week so far. ????????

1639808048777-1524004350.thumb.jpg.ee14c0f0ac2b6ca64bb97b2e57e630fd.jpg