Thai Hom Mali Rice Named World’s Best Rice for Second Consecutive Year

snoop1130

a8b623afa81357cf7134279b0901b983_small.PNG

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s fragrant jasmine rice has won the World’s Best Rice Award for the second consecutive year.

The 13th World’s Best Rice award ceremony was held from December 7-9 in Dubai by the United States Rice Traders Association. 11 types of rice from Thailand, the United States, China, India, Vietnam and Myanmar were nominated this year, with Hom Mali 105 rice grown in the Northeastern parts of Thailand being crowned the world’s best rice for 2021.

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said winning the title of the world’s best rice demonstrates Thailand’s commitment to continuously improving the quality of its rice over the years. He added that the honor was the result of a collaborative effort between farmers, agricultural associations, exporters and government agencies, particularly the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and Ministry of Commerce.

The commerce minister said he expects rice exports this year to hit the ministry’s target of 6 million tons, while projecting that next year’s exports will reach 7-7.5 million tons. This means Thailand could overtake Vietnam as the world’s second-biggest rice exporter, trailing only India, currently the No. 1 exporter.

nnt.jpg

quote from the OP: "..... 11 types of rice from Thailand, the United States, China, India, Vietnam and Myanmar were nominated this year....."

I have actually never tried Hom Mali 105 because I did not see it on display anywhere. Maybe its really good.

But they seem to have missed two important criteria: Japan as a further contender and from the US entries "Kokuho Rose Rice" (medium grain), which is produced in California and is by far the best rice I have ever tasted. So I am inclined to cast a bit of a doubt on this title "World" Champion.

I know a Japanese guy by the way who brings with him rice from his home country when he travels.

I do not know of any Thai rice that stands out taste-wise. In our home here we use both short grain Japanese Rice (for me) and Thai Perfume Rice (for my wife).

Would love to try Basmati Rice, too, but I have never seen any on sale here. The brand that was recommended once for sale online is always sold out.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And does China have any issues or restrictions on imports of it?

China only buys low-end and medium quality rice for import, and only at prices lower than their domestic producers.  Their importation will definitely increase as they continue to screw-up their farmlands from bad land management, but will likely take a larger share of India's rice over expensive Jasmine rice.

• Thanks 1

Maybe it is just me but 30+ years ago, when I moved here, the jasmine rice was definitely the loveliest complementing delight to any Thai dish. Wonderful flavour, consistent consistence - a culinary treat. 

Today you can literally buy any "jasmine" rice which, to my limited knowledge, seems to be a hybrid version of the previous perfection. Manipulated gens, crossings with cheaper crops and the monopolized rice trade in Thailand has sent also this subject down the tube. 

I - for one - resort these days to Indian basmati or Italian risotti; there is no first class Thai jasmine rice anymore ???? 

1 hour ago, law ling said:

Well, I'll look again when next out shopping, but I don't ever recall seeing "Hom Mali 105 rice" on the shelves.

Until then, I'll stick to basmati.

Some of you say ....I'll stick to Basmati. But where are you buying it ? Do you all live in Bangkok ? I am in Pattaya and in the picture below is what was the Basmati brand that came very recommended. However, it is not available at any place I know ond even online it says "sold out":

Gate Basmati Classic.jpg

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Some of you say ....I'll stick to Basmati. But where are you buying it ? Do you all live in Bangkok ? I am in Pattaya and in the picture below is what was the Basmati brand that came very recommended. However, it is not available at any place I know ond even online it says "sold out":

Gate Basmati Classic.jpg

Where I buy basmati rice in Pattaya: There's an Indian supplies shop just next to the Indian Temple, not far up Soi 17 off Second Road. They have many brands - I get  what the chap on duty there recommended: the "Nature's Gift" brand (B90/one kilo bag). Don't know if they have the brand you mentioned.

I also get ghee/clarified butter there (which I've not seen elsewhere) - also many brands available. (A fascinating shop jammed packed with exotic spices, etc.)

A little further up Soi 17, (towards Tukcom, away from Second Road) on the same side of the soi is another (smaller looking) Indian supplies store ... but I've never ventured into it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, law ling said:

Where I buy basmati rice in Pattaya: There's an Indian supplies shop just next to the Indian Temple, not far up Soi 17 off Second Road................

Thank you really very much for that. I was looking for an Indian store for quite some time. You are right, Ghee is as well not easy to find, but  finally found out that Makro has it after we did always bring some from Bangkok. Maybe I am even lucky with Curry Leaves - another rare item. We love cooking and sometimes ingredients are hard to find for various cuisines - we are more than curious to try out your shop recommendations.

Soi 17 from Second Road - hope we can find it and they have a parking somewhere nearby.

Edited by moogradod

24 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Soi 17 from Second Road - hope we can find it and they have a parking somewhere nearby.

I tried to locate it using Google Maps. I did not succeed. Do you have by chance the exact adress, name or coordinates or a picture from google maps ? And actually there is no Indian temple in the vicinity as far as Google Maps shows..

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

quote from the OP: "..... 11 types of rice from Thailand, the United States, China, India, Vietnam and Myanmar were nominated this year....."

I have actually never tried Hom Mali 105 because I did not see it on display anywhere. Maybe its really good.

But they seem to have missed two important criteria: Japan as a further contender and from the US entries "Kokuho Rose Rice" (medium grain), which is produced in California and is by far the best rice I have ever tasted. So I am inclined to cast a bit of a doubt on this title "World" Champion.

I know a Japanese guy by the way who brings with him rice from his home country when he travels.

I do not know of any Thai rice that stands out taste-wise. In our home here we use both short grain Japanese Rice (for me) and Thai Perfume Rice (for my wife).

Would love to try Basmati Rice, too, but I have never seen any on sale here. The brand that was recommended once for sale online is always sold out.

It's here in Pattaya in the Sikh shop by the Gudwara on Soi 18

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's here in Pattaya in the Sikh shop by the Gudwara on Soi 18

Thank you. Indeed there seems to be - unnoticed by my Thai wife and myself for years - an Indian Sikh temple (Gudwara, Gurdwara, Gurudwara) in this vicinity (hidden in Google Maps but displayed in Google Earth) and near to it is a shop called "Punjab Store" (Old Ravi Store). This seems to be the one ????

Happy cooking everyone.

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

Thank you. Indeed there seems to be - unnoticed by my Thai wife and myself for years - an Indian Sikh temple (Gudwara, Gurdwara, Gurudwara) in this vicinity (hidden in Google Maps but displayed in Google Earth) and near to it is a shop called "Punjab Store" (Old Ravi Store). This seems to be the one ????

Happy cooking everyone.

Yes. I get my spices from there.

• Like 1

@law ling and @The Hammer2021 Thank you both.

Today we visited the shop. It is on the right side of the soi if you come from 2nd road. The entry is just opposite Soi Diamond. Parking is possible on the street near the wall of the opposite school. Do not drive too far into the soi, it is quite easy to miss for the shop is not huge. There is a coffee shop just before it on the same side of the road which may serve as an indication when it is time to park.

The owner is a friendly man and we could get Ghee, Basmati Rice, fresh Curry Leaves and Naan Bread. To the delight of my wife they have indeed some quite uncommon spices as well. Not the last time we will visit there.

• Thanks 1