riding motorcycle without license (in a rural setting)

BananaBandit

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Is that right? I always wondered about that.

You do not need a drivers license because they are not legal for use on the road.

So the same criteria applies - no DL, no insurance. Hope you have deep enuf pockets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

A recently lowered 200bt fine for not having a licence? ABSOLUTE SHEER STUPIDITY! The fine should 10,000bt for a first offence, doubling for every subsequent offence.

Why would anyone want to go through all the difficult and time consuming procedure of obtaining a licence when the risk of getting caught without a licence is so low, and at worst it will cost you 200bt!

Most kids parents couldn't afford 10k come on Nick this is Thailand. ????

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Is that right? I always wondered about that.

The link is to an electric bicycle ( it has pedals ) not an electric motorcycle. 

These are ok for around the village but no good for long journeys.

• Like 2

It's strange the cry of no DL no insurance same old. 

Hospital because of accident bla bla etc etc. 

I would like to have more cover on my old bike as well as CTPL which is perfectly road legal but cannot get a Thai insurance companies to insure it. 

It's a chance I take because I don't want to buy another bike so my choice.

15 hours ago, DuckBumble said:

I absolutely enjoy driving moto and car in Thailand. Turn up the music in the truck as loud as it goes, driving drunk off lao kao with 3 or 4 in the cab and a few in the truck bed. Police don't even notice I'm a foreigner at that point. I do somewhat similar on thr motorcycle and never been bothered.

Ah, 3 or 4 in the cab and several in the back.  One vacation trip I rode in the back of a pickup with luggage and 3 or 4 others.  From BKK to Loei!  Hot as Hell, dusty and noisy most of the way.  Until the last hour - it rained and we about froze. 

On family trips like that, we'd stop briefly to pee, get ice cream for the kids and a beer for the adults.  Sabai.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:17 AM, Damrongsak said:

I have a valid lifetime motorbike license I bought 43 years ago in Loei.  (Test?  What's that?)  I can't recall if I got a licence plate, LOL.  Insurance - what's that? Got stopped only once at a permanent outpost/checkpoint north of town.  They just wanted to chat awhile.  Never produced a license or any paperwork.  A kid stopped by at the time and accused me of stealing his bike.  Cops ignored him.  Met an old monk who was pretty cool. 

But that was then and farangs were a novelty. A time or two cops invited me to an all-night card game at a local hotel.  Don't go there.

Ride gently and be nice ...

P.S.  Same place two kids road across the road and I hit them broadside.  Damn that hurt the next few days.

Valid lifetime license? Let's have a look at the dates, just blank out the personal information.

Cheers

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2021 at 4:25 PM, scorecard said:

So that brings the question, does the mocy have a vehicle registration and book and is the land tx up to date, if yes that usually means that the third party is also up to date. 

You need the book or a copy to get CTPL and the bike is govt insured you don't need anything else. 

On 12/22/2021 at 12:07 AM, Burma Bill said:

Unfortunately when I was stopped driving my pick-up, the Highway Policeman understood English and fined me 1,000 baht for driving on a UK driving license. Through contacts I got my first Thai driving license and the latest extension of this is valid for driving here in Cambodia.

How long had you been in the country if not more than 90 days and passport proof the policeman might have spoke English but he didn't know the law of his own country typical.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Here you go. Top middle box says "motorbike talot cheep" meaning lifetime. ตลอดชีพ  Note that there isn't an expiration date to the right of the issue date of June 12, 2521.  It's a great big green paper thing.

(Edit:  Maybe if I get killed in a motorbike accident they'll fill in my expiration date.  555)

image.png.c47b1ccfb3677b1c6232415dccfece3f.png

Do you look the same. ????????????

Surprised people don't know of lifetime DL's.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Do you look the same. ????????????

Surprised people don't know of lifetime DL's.

Sorta the same.  Just changed the color scheme a bit.  For some reason, I wasn't wearing my glasses in the license photo.

image.jpeg.4770ad823942a9679d55f60aaf494e6d.jpeg  image.jpeg.3bd8686f5fcd4ee038a33b4e240053a9.jpeg

PapaAl, I made that Icon years and years ago.  Started out with a doodle using a marker.  Then it got scannned and tweaked in Paint Shop Pro.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Sorta the same.  Just changed the color scheme a bit.  For some reason, I wasn't wearing my glasses in the license photo.

image.jpeg.4770ad823942a9679d55f60aaf494e6d.jpeg  image.jpeg.3bd8686f5fcd4ee038a33b4e240053a9.jpeg

PapaAl, I made that Icon years and years ago.  Started out with a doodle using a marker.  Then it got scannned and tweaked in Paint Shop Pro.

Nice one,  my wife has a lifetime DL and her older sister has one her sister paid 500 baht for it. ????