Share the sectrets to buying wood

recom273

1 hour ago, mikecha said:

Rubbish   buy teak  not expensive  i live in phrae can get all i need planed on size door frames windows to the measurment easy and nice work

Maybe where you are, but since a moratorium on harvesting, probably illegal or expensive, and I try not to support such activities, and a bit expensive for OP's coup.  I myself would just use PVC or inexpensive steel. 

Not much teak in KK, as I lived in Udon Thani, and if having, you usually got a visit from PoPo.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I would buy Shera Wood or like in standard sizes from one of the major building material chains, and avoid decay and feeding termites...????

And after 2-3 years its broke!!! I saw it so much times. You can prepare wood very well against termites.

15-25 ml Cypermethrine on 20l water work very well. Let the wood soak it overnight and let it dry some days. You can say than: "Goodbye Termites"!!!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/35-cypermethrin-35-1l-i2895738339-s10580140121.html

Edited by snowgard
  • Thanks 1

Are you guys using metric numbers?  Or inches.  2x2 m. 12 m long?   3x5 and plane down to 2x2.  Can't be cm I don't think.  2cm x 2cm not big enough forany things 9 don't think.   

Edited by Elkski

42 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Are you guys using metric numbers?  Or inches.  2x2 m. 12 m long?   3x5 and plane down to 2x2.  Can't be cm I don't think.  2cm x 2cm not big enough forany things 9 don't think.   

IME - The timber shops around here (Sattahip) use inches for thickness and width, but metric for length. 

However, when I measure a 1" x 8" plank it is usually 3cm x 20cm.

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

Both. Thai wood yards use inches (or a Thai version) for the smaller dimensions and meters for length.

I generally use millimetres and meters centimetres are an abomination that I only use for length as long as it’s over a meter

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

What do you find most disgusting about cm?

They aren’t disgusting but are an abomination and an anathemar in wood butchering, no competent wood worker will use them due to the availability of errors. Amateurs will use them and many have fallen foul of the problems they bring.

• Haha 1