Grim economic outlook in Thailand if an Omicron outbreak drags on for months

snoop1130

If people are sick with such a contagious virus, they will not be working, whether

they are sick with the delta or omicron variant. If people are not working, then businesses

will not be doing well.  I guess the only good thing about Omicron is that is may not kill off as many

people as Delta has and is still killing off people.  There is still Delta cases in the city I live in, and my one

friend who works at the hospital is so tired of telling people this information.  He is burned out, and if he did

not have children, he would quit his job.  We will all be glad to have this pandemic over with, but it is not 

over yet.  The long COVID cases are not fun for the people who have caught COVID and are still not able to

get back to work.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:09 AM, Capella said:

I hope your daughter recovers very soon. As you say, it's everywhere and it so easy to catch. I caught it from my wife - she and four of her colleagues went to an event that was a hotspot. Four out of the five attendees caught it. Omicron spreads like wildfire.

Here in Australia, the government now says that everyone will probably catch it, and the focus is now on helping people with serious symptoms rather than containment.

Whilst Omicron certainly isn't pleasant - I had a fever with it - it does pass relatively quickly. That said, your daughter should talk to a doctor if she has severe symptoms. 

Thank you , she is doing much better, her fever is down and she is feeling better overall,  Her room mate who also gat it, is having a bit more of a hard time with it and they went to the hospital to have a chest ex ray , but the results are good and they are both resting at home.

It is easy to be academic about it and theorize  when it is happening to somebody else, until it happens to you and yours. 

I am glad to hear that both you and your wife had a mild case, and recovered relatively quick, but I am sure initial it must had been scary not knowing how it was going to progress. Let's hope it is mild for most people and this pandemic burns out. ???? 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, Knocker33 said:

Opening too soon . What do you recommend. Wait 10 years. Sick of all this doom and gloom get on with your life . Take off your tin hats and stop hiding under your beds

Amen to that. While it’s worth being guarded at first, things need to normalise as much as poss or they’ll be much more hardship and death. Sadly, unnecessary ubiquitous outdoors mask wearing is here to stay in Thailand along with unnecessary regulation. Also, gov would prefer a 10 year plan. You see, they are already rich. Having to open the country in earnest to foreigners doesn’t matter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you , she is doing much better, her fever is down and she is feeling better overall,  Her room mate who also gat it, is having a bit more of a hard time with it and they went to the hospital to have a chest ex ray , but the results are good and they are both resting at home.

It is easy to be academic about it and theorize  when it is happening to somebody else, until it happens to you and yours. 

I am glad to hear that both you and your wife had a mild case, and recovered relatively quick, but I am sure initial it must had been scary not knowing how it was going to progress. Let's hope it is mild for most people and this pandemic burns out. ???? 

Good news about your daughter, and I'm very glad she's on the mend. I'm fine now, and so is the wife. Thank you for asking. 

With all its negative press, catching covid is unnerving and unpleasant, especially over the festive season. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was in thailand last year the airport welcome or not welcome is disgraceful been in and out of several airport in spain is normal except for masks.

The devastation in bankok and more so in pattaya is far worst than I have seen anywhere I think the junta have broken the will of the people.

But some business is doing well, low paid manufacturing is this a chosen replacement for hospitality & entertainment businesses.

We open up a week ago (Ireland) after a long 2 years, being to a resturaunt and bar but the difference in people smiling and relaxed after a week is amazing, still a mask mandate for 3 more weeks then its up to you by the summer it will be all forgotten.

Thailand's omicrom is behaving different to other parts of the world constant under 10k unbelievable for its 70m pop.

Edited by tomyami

Was chatting to a savvy British doctor as he casually stitched up my latest facial cancer excision, he said Omicron is the most contagious virus in human history. No country is adequately prepared. He said calling it mild is foolish. 

It simply kills less and does it's dirty work faster, but it's not "mild". The said the R factor will make it the deadliest by virtue of exponential spread, especially where the vaccine is non existent. Even though Omicron waves pass quickly they are the most infectious bug in human history bar none.   

So he concluded, opening or not opening, or masks or social distancing are all just  theatrics delaying the inevitable now. The idea of curve flattening is old hat. Only vaccines matter at this point.

That's what he said. 

I'd like to add that Delta killed a vaccine denier I knew 4 days from symptom onset. So a fast wave, that rips thru almost everyone who is near anyone, who has Omicron, doesn't look good at all. 

Edited by chalawaan