Arrested At Suvarnabhumi Airport

I would like to give a word of caution to people passing through the new airport at Suvarnabhumi in Samut Prakan Province. Do not be tempted to steal anything from the King Power Duty Free shops. Don't even do it as a joke. Some people have done it on purpose as they didn't have enough money. Others just got distracted and just forgot to pay. But what they all have in common is that they were all prosecuted by King Power AND sent to prison. It doesn't matter if you just stole some face wash or a watch (real cases) the courts in Samut Prakan are one of the harshest around and WILL sentence you to at least ONE YEAR in prison. You are advised to plead guilty even if you stole something by mistake. If you plead guilty the court will usually half your sentence to SIX MONTHS.

The other most common arrest at Suvarnabhumi Airport is for passport problems. Either forged passports or fake visa stamps. On average, the length of sentence to serve for passport problems is ONE YEAR. Recently I have been following the case of an American who had two fake visa stamps in his passport. He was stupid enough to lend his passport to a friend who, without telling him, got two fake stamps. The American was sentenced to SIX YEARS, though as he decided to plead guilty this was halved to THREE YEARS.

Another case I am following at the moment involves a guy from the United Kingdom. In a state of deep depression (he was having problems with a Thai girlfriend who just stole all his money) he got drunk in one of the bars at the airport. The waiter was verbally abusing him (according to witnesses) and the UK guy picked up a knife from the counter top and stabbed the waiter. The Thai man was in hospital for four days and has now fully recovered. The UK guy was charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER. This happened back in October 2006. His courtcase has only just started and he has been in prison up until this time. He hasn't coped at all with the prison ordeal and often isn't aware of what is happening around him.

Samut Prakan Central Prison is probably one of the better prisons around. There is certainly overcrowding with over 50 prisoners in a small cramped cell. However, most of the guards are decent and generally leave the foreign prisoners alone. However, as this prison is in the middle of no-where (it is in Klong Dan District in the Eastern extreme of Samut Prakan Province), the foreign prisoners are often forgotten and rarely visited. The big prisons in Bangkok like Bang Kwang get plenty of visitors passing through. But not Samut Prakan Central Prison. The Thai prisoners have work they can do during the day. The foreigners can only sit around with absolutely nothing to do. No books, newspapers or any form of entertainment. What we have been trying to do is arrange regular visits for them. We have also been collecting books and games such as chess to send to the prison. If anyone here can help in a small way by sending a used newspaper, a novel you have finished reading, or maybe even a crossword puzzle book, then you will greatly help these prisoners.

I know that some people here will condone these people for the crimes they have done. I can understand why sometimes you may not want to help anyone that has done crimes against society. But, this is not a maximum security prison. Any drug runners caught at the airport end up in prisons in Bangkok. At Samut Prakan Central Prison there are only minor offences. Many of these guys haven't even been convicted yet. Some can be in prison for up to a year awaiting trial. Others have finished their trial and were given a fine that they couldn't afford. So, they had to serve sentences instead.

I will leave below the website address for the support group for Samut Prakan Central Prison. I am not sure if the moderators will allow for the link to remain, if not, you can always google "Samut Prakan Central Prison".

Any help or support you can give these people (there are presently about 500 foreigners in the prison) will be greatly appreciated by all. Visit this website for the address of the prison where you can send books. Please be aware that anything with metal items (like staples and silver foil stickers) will set off the alarms at the prison and the items will be returned. More information on this on the website.

Thank you for reading this.

**link removed per forum rules not allowing sites that solicit funds***

Edited by sbk

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, That’s Interesting :o

Good Job I don’t Steal, Have Fake Stamps or get Drunk :D

Maybe I will be OK ?

:D

I would like to give a word of caution...
Edited by Maestro
Font formatting (size 5) for entire post removed. Nothing in the post warrants screaming. Quoted text reduced.

I'm pleased I read this. I was planning to head out to the airport tomorrow to steal some perfume for my wife's birthday. I hadnt decided whether to deliberately or just accidentally steal it.

After reading this advice, perhaps I'll just buy some instead. I don't like the sound of that prison.

Thanks prisonguy. You've saved me from a lot of bother.

Many of the foreigners coming into Thailand have absolutely no idea what it is like to be on the wrong side of the law here.

For the many smart ass know-it-alls who break down when they realize that they are going to be incarcerated for very long times; for what in reality are minor crimes outside of Thailand

Thanks for bring this to my attention, I know I will be extra careful/respectful at Swampy

The website is a very interesting read

:o

I think it is a sad indictment of todays' society that people actually need to have these sort or warnings written down. Surely everyone knows that you shouldn't steal from Duty Free (or any where else for that matter).... as for false visa stamps.... doesn't the ''false'' bit give the game away?

Then again, nowadays you have to have warnings on coffee cups advising that the contents may be hot... and that cats shouldn't be dried in the microwave..... so what is going on here? are people just failing to think of the consequences of their actions or are we developing into a world of candidates for the Darwin Awards?

WOW, That’s Interesting :o

Good Job I don’t Steal, Have Fake Stamps or get Drunk :D

Maybe I will be OK ?

:D

Full quote deleted

Would someone please add a rule for posting: If you quote, strip your quote.

Thank you in the name of all dial-up readers (Yes, there are some).

shouldnt this posting be on the criminal tendancies forum ? :o

Umm, I tend to agree. It is easy to pay for goods should I make a decision to purchaseand I don't lend my passport to anyone.

I'm not quite sure what the OP is trying to say. "Do not be tempted to steal anything from the King Power Duty Free shops." Is it OK to steal from other shops then? "Don't even do it as a joke." Is it OK if I am serious? Sorry but I do not need anyone to tell me that breaking the law is wrong. The same applies to fake passports or visa stamps.

Now, there is a Brit who stabbed a waiter and has been accused of attempted murder (no need for capitals) and is now in prison. That is where I would expect to find him. Where do you expect him to be, put up in a five star hotel?

I'm pleased I read this. I was planning to head out to the airport tomorrow to steal some perfume for my wife's birthday. I hadnt decided whether to deliberately or just accidentally steal it.

After reading this advice, perhaps I'll just buy some instead. I don't like the sound of that prison.

Thanks prisonguy. You've saved me from a lot of bother.

:o:cheesy::D

So don't stab anyone at Suvarnabhumi. You know, it's things like this that irresponsible travel guide authors never point out to people. Fortunately, we have this forum to learn from. :o

For the many smart ass know-it-alls who break down when they realize that they are going to be incarcerated for very long times; for what in reality are minor crimes outside of Thailand

:o

Personally I am glad that stealing and stabbing people are not regarded as minor crimes in Thailand.

So don't stab anyone at Suvarnabhumi. You know, it's things like this that irresponsible travel guide authors never point out to people. Fortunately, we have this forum to learn from. :D

I did hear however, that stabbing at Don Muang is still acceptable. :o

people who are addicted to things tend to do strange things. that is why I try to stay away from people who I find out are addicted to something like alcohol, drugs, and/or gambling.

I remember this one guy who was addicted to drugs. he went around smoking pot like it was legal. and was always high on drugs. you could see it in his eyes. ..and this - in thailand - where drugs have dire penalties.

I feel sorry for the people who accidently walked out of King Duty Free forgetting to pay. That must be a nightmare, having to spend time in jail when you're genuinly forgot..... but, having said that, I do not have sympathy for petty thieves, Thais or farang. I had my battery charger stolen from my luggage at the new airport by crooked Thai baggage handlers once. Believe me, I wasn't too happy when I got home and realized that something was missing :o

people who are addicted to things tend to do strange things. that is why I try to stay away from people who I find out are addicted to something like alcohol, drugs, and/or gambling.

I remember this one guy who was addicted to drugs. he went around smoking pot like it was legal. and was always high on drugs. you could see it in his eyes. ..and this - in thailand - where drugs have dire penalties.

Musta been some good shit.

I guess he forgot both the privacy courtesy rule along with the substantial penalty phase for early withdrawl

His brain that is :o:D :D :D :D

I find it really hard to believe that if you genuinely forgot to pay, they wouldn't just accept your apology and money and probably a big tip to the main angry person.. surely you are not saying they would prosecute you even when you are being led off waving several thousand baht notes and saying "take the money! Take the money! Im sorry! Take as much as you want!"

If it was anyone but richardbarrow I would definitely not even bother replying.. richard please clarify!

Oh for goodness sake, give the OP a break.

He is only drawing attention to the plight of farang who have fallen foul of Thai justice, a parody of any penal code and one that anchors the Thai judicial system firmly in the dark ages. Regardless of the relative pettiness of the crime committed in this country by farang, one can safely assume that the punishment will be utterly disproportionate and generally meted out after an absurd delay designed to ensure that a guilty plea will ensue.

The post deserves better than the cheap jibes and adolescent derision heaped upon it to date.

But then, perhaps the OP's biggest mistake was misplacing his faith in a forum whose members seem to display all the wit and maturity of a freshly smoked kipper?

Oh for goodness sake, give the OP a break.

He is only drawing attention to the plight of farang who have fallen foul of Thai justice, a parody of any penal code and one that anchors the Thai judicial system firmly in the dark ages. Regardless of the relative pettiness of the crime committed in this country by farang, one can safely assume that the punishment will be utterly disproportionate and generally meted out after an absurd delay designed to ensure that a guilty plea will ensue.

The post deserves better than the cheap jibes and adolescent derision heaped upon it to date.

But then, perhaps the OP's biggest mistake was misplacing his faith in a forum whose members seem to display all the wit and maturity of a freshly smoked kipper?

Okay, what should be the penalty for forged passports and fake visa stamps?

And.....people who walk off without paying are arrested without first being allowed a chance to correct a possible innocent mistake.....BS I don't believe that part of the post. Does anyone on this forum besides the OP ACTUALLY have first-hand knowledge that such a thing has happened? I'd like to hear about it.

I find it really hard to believe that if you genuinely forgot to pay, they wouldn't just accept your apology and money and probably a big tip to the main angry person..

No, King Power has a policy of prosecuting anyone that steals, no matter how small the item. That was my purpose of the post. I want people to fully understand that you won't be able to talk your way out of it. I visited an old guy from Australia on Friday who was arrested for stealing at the duty free. He had a wallet fall of credit cards and ATM cards. He is 70 and desperate to get out. He said to me that he would even sell his house if it would help him get out. At present he is housed in the hospital as he is not coping well. If he is lucky he will have a trial within the month (no guarantee to have a lawyer that speaks English or an interpreter that will tell you what the judge says). He will most likely be sentenced to 6 months as he has already pleaded guilty. Just this morning, I received an email from someone whose uncle has just been arrested and is now at Samut Prakan Central Prison. Exactly same story. He stole something at the duty free. Can you now see why I felt a warning was needed?

Oh for goodness sake, give the OP a break. He is only drawing attention to the plight of farang who have fallen foul of Thai justice. The post deserves better than the cheap jibes and adolescent derision heaped upon it to date. But then, perhaps the OP's biggest mistake was misplacing his faith in a forum whose members seem to display all the wit and maturity of a freshly smoked kipper?

I fully expected most of the replies above. Last October, a news story was posted on this very forum about a Scottish guy who tried to kill himself after trouble with his Thai girlfriend. The replies on this forum went so over the top that the moderators, wisely, decided to close down that thread. Three days later that same guy was at the airport when an incident happened. He is now awaiting verdict while in prison. When I first visited him in prison last year I googled his name to see if I could find some background information. I found the Thai Visa forum and all those sarcastic comments. If I could do this, then I am sure his family and friends would have found those comments too. How do you think that made them feel?

As there are many expats here, the chances are quite high that at least a few of them will either be wrongly imprisoned or find themselves guilty of a minor offence. Will they then regret their words typed on this thread? Will their tune change when I go to visit them in prison or send them a book to read to pass the time? It doesn't matter to me. I will help anyone that seeks help.

Hopefully this thread has now raised awareness of how easily your life could be turned upside down. I am thankful to the people that have already sent me a PM pledging help and support for these foreign prisoners in the form of used books and even prison visits.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

No, King Power has a policy of prosecuting anyone that steals, no matter how small the item. That was my purpose of the post. I want people to fully understand that you won't be able to talk your way out of it. I visited an old guy from Australia on Friday who was arrested for stealing at the duty free. He had a wallet fall of credit cards and ATM cards. He is 70 and desperate to get out. He said to me that he would even sell his house if it would help him get out. At present he is housed in the hospital as he is not coping well. If he is lucky he will have a trial within the month (no guarantee to have a lawyer that speaks English or an interpreter that will tell you what the judge says). He will most likely be sentenced to 6 months as he has already pleaded guilty.

If he really had all that plastic in his wallet he would surely have posted bail already and be out.

Yes, it's stupid to steal in Thailand, just like using illegal drugs. They have a very short fuse with such stuff here. Perhaps they ought to make that clear on the TM card :o

richardbarrow, why do you feel it is necessary to warn people that stealing is wrong? Do you also teach grandmothers to suck eggs? You mention someone who is in Samut Prakan Central Prison and that he stole something at the duty free. That is where I expect him to be, don't you? Please remember that we are in our host country and are subject to their laws.

What you regard as a 'minor offence' in your country and will merit either a 'slap on the wrist' or a token fine may mean a prison sentence here. The man who stabbed someone is charged with attempted murder - what would you call it?

If you want to recruit people for your prison visiting scheme or to give donations, you went about it the wrong way. If you want anyone to help, please don't patronise us.

A lot of people on this site also do charity work. Remember that doing a charitable deed is like urinating in a wetsuit - it gives you a warm feeling and nobody else knows that you are doing it.

If you want to recruit people for your prison visiting scheme or to give donations, you went about it the wrong way. If you want anyone to help, please don't patronise us.

I couldn't disagree more. I believe Mr. Hippo is promoting a Mr. Scrooge mentality.

Do a couple of TV searches with the word "hospital," "died," or "orphanage" and you will wake up to how many times the TV forum has been used to encourage charitable deeds among its members. This is a GREAT forum for that purpose.

Richard Barrow has done an invaluable service to the farang (and Thai) community in raising awareness about Thai prisons and what the average person can do to help the plight of prisoners (both innocent and guilty). Sure, most of them are getting their just desserts for crimes committed, but many are also deserving of encouragement and one-on-one respect as another human being who made a serious mistake, and is willing to own up to it, and make a better life in the future.

As a direct result of Barrow's blog on ThaiPrisonLife, I have been personally encouraged to visit a Thai acquaintance in an upcountry prison. I believe there's about a 75% chance of the prisoner's innocence (accused of a crime by a revengeful family member of dodgy character). Innocent or guilty, it has made me realize what difference I can make in the mental and emotional well-being of another human being. Further, when this individual is released in a few months, I also realized what a helpful role I can play in this person's rehabilitation and re-introduction back into the mainstream of society--mainly just by being a supportive friend.

I'm not looking for kudos or pats-on-the-back by relating these points, but just to remind the readers that we all can be a significant force for good in a society, system, or individual's life; despite them having made mistakes and bad decisions. People, especially, are salvageable. I think the bulk of TV members know that, and are good-hearted enough to actively meet a genuine need when it arises. I've seen it many times on this forum, and am glad to be a member of it, for that reason alone.