Are there any Grab cars running in Samui?

I tried to get one a few days ago from Crystal Bay to Lamai but didn't get a driver and didn't see any cars on the map. Tomorrow I want to go from Lamai to the ferry pier. The Grab app shows it costs just over 200 baht which seems surprisingly good value but do you think I'll actually get a car/taxi? I don't want to risk missing the ferry but I don't want to get ripped off by a taxi driver. I've heard about Navigo but can't get it from the Google play store.

Grab is still operating but at peak times there will no spare cars.

Guests are telling me of the same problem.

Many cars are waiting at hotels and the ferries now.

Loads waiting in Bangrak at the ferry terminals!!!

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

I felt a bit better when I got a joint ferry and bus ticket at the Seatran ticket counter for 390 baht. The bus was a nice big one and picked us up with no waiting and took us straight to the airport. The whole journey from Nathon to Surat Thani airport took 3 and a half hours. 

What would be good would be a recommendation for an honest motorbike rental shop in Nathon that's open right now. The roads seem a lot safer now they're so empty.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Has Grab improved on Samui since the OP posted? I'm going there for a break, and the hotel quoted THB2000 for a van pick up, to Banyan Tree.

Thought I'd get a taxi, or Grab, but I just don't want to start the short break with hassles, and will probably just pay the hotel's THB2000 charge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samtam said:

Has Grab improved on Samui since the OP posted?

Just a couple of observations re your comment.

Short answer is no. The 'taxi mafia' is back.

There are GRAB cars but my advice to guests is do not try GRAB if it is time critical.

I seem to remember being told that GRAB and non-booked taxis could not come into the airport area.

There are 'airport' taxis available. Usual mafia prices but should be cheaper than the hotel car.

We use the same taxi for all of our airport transfers and she is a regular 400 baht airport-Plai Laem or Plai Laem-airport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

GrabBike - No... There are plenty of mototaxi’s around, but when trying to order on Grab, no Grab available (100 baht to get anywhere)

GrabTaxi - No... No taxi’s take the ride (forced to use GrabVan or the SongThaew)

GrabVan - Yes.. they are available, generally about 500-700 baht to get anywhere. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, RickG16 said:

That sounds ridiculous. 

That's Samui...I was chatting to people who got charged 400 baht for 1.5 km distance. On the way back they just walked.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 8:52 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Conclusion: stay away from Samui unless you've got your own wheels. 

That was our plan - buy a car on Samui.

But now even good long term rentals are as hard to come by as a fair taxi price. Not so sure now...

2 hours ago, ding said:

That was our plan - buy a car on Samui.

But now even good long term rentals are as hard to come by as a fair taxi price. Not so sure now...

Cars are more expensive on Samui. You will save money by buying one on the mainland.

Long term rentals are available from local car rental people. (One neighbour has rented one for more than 7 years.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Cars are more expensive on Samui. You will save money by buying one on the mainland.

I think that is a conclusion from the past, last time I bought a new car it was the official list price from the factory outlet on Samui, and a small discount plus free stuff could be negotiated. Second hand cars might however be cheaper on the mainland...????

• 8 months later...

My wife and I live outside Bangkok and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd place on Koh Samui. I've been to Koh Samui multiple times but that was years ago. I don't drive and I'm wondering how it would be getting around by walking and bicycling? I would try to find a place that is near shops, restaurants, beaches etc.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, eddyod said:

I don't drive and I'm wondering how it would be getting around by walking and bicycling? I would try to find a place that is near shops, restaurants, beaches etc.

All of the major shops are in the Chaweng area, but that is touristville. Not really a place to live depending on your circumstances. (Age, mobility, how do you spend leisure time etc)

Lamai could be a good halfway house.

Northern beaches seem to be favoured by ex-pats and locals (Choengmon, Bangrak, Maenam) but taxis would be needed for major supermarket shopping.

Grab is still here but it is unreliable. Cars do not turn up when they see a 'higher fare' on the way to the pick up.

Taxis are bandits (same as Phuket, Koh Phangan etc) but you would soon find a good one who gives special rates for loyalty.

In the towns there are some motorcycle taxis but rare in the villages.

Cycling is OK but parts of the island are very hilly. (Especially where I live.)

Most locals/ex-pats seem to prefer scooters but unless you are an experienced rider, do not do it. (Four large private hospitals with a fifth one opening soon. Only 50,000 official residents!)

We are all different. Others, hopefully, will give you a different aspect on living here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:47 AM, eddyod said:

My wife and I live outside Bangkok and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd place on Koh Samui. I've been to Koh Samui multiple times but that was years ago. I don't drive and I'm wondering how it would be getting around by walking and bicycling? I would try to find a place that is near shops, restaurants, beaches etc.

Thanks!

In some areas there are plenty of local shopping within walking, or bicycling, distance, however depending of what is needed.

I can as example mention where I live, and there are quite similar possibilities along the northern part of the Ring Road – the main road around the island – depending of how close you wish to to a beach.

I live in Maenam and have numerous restaurants, pharmacies, dentists, mom & dad grocery stores, 7-Eleven, Mini BicC and Lotus's Go Fresh supermarkets within a few hundred meters distance; and expanded to about 500 meters even banks, pet shops, a building construction market, and much more.

You can find similar in Bo Phut-area, both close to beach or further from one in the area with the hypermarkets and shopping malls, i.e. BigC, Makro and Lotus's with HomePro, even three of the international hospitals are in that area.

Transportation is relative expensive – but even overpriced it might be cheap compared to some European countries – taxi prices range from 200 baht for a very short distance (almost round the corner) to about 600 baht for longer distance of about 10-15 kilometers. As @Tropicalevo says, you might find a reliable driver you can call. In daytime between 6 am and 6 pm, song thaew cars run around the island with fares from 20 baht to 100 baht per person depending of distance...????

• Like 1