What Would You Do ?

mikethevigoman

A thai freind of mine that does work for me ocasionally came to see me today, a neighbor of his is a thai lady and she has told him she has had a serious fall out with her english husband and she wants to sell the house quick,,.he has retufned to the UK , .now im no estate agent but i went to look at it tonight, its a 2.5 mill house all day i guess, she will take 1.4, its 3 years old ,a bungalow on not a bad estate,. problem is i saw photos of him with her, he looks like about 70 year old and not in the best of health,..if this is what we will all assume and he comes back and finds new owners in his property it could finish the old boy off,. i am a businessman and ill always look at something with a profit in it, however i have a gut feeling and feel bad here,. what would you do ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thai freind of mine that does work for me ocasionally came to see me today, a neighbor of his is a thai lady and she has told him she has had a serious fall out with her english husband and she wants to sell the house quick,,.he has retufned to the UK , .now im no estate agent but i went to look at it tonight, its a 2.5 mill house all day i guess, she will take 1.4, its 3 years old ,a bungalow on not a bad estate,. problem is i saw photos of him with her, he looks like about 70 year old and not in the best of health,..if this is what we will all assume and he comes back and finds new owners in his property it could finish the old boy off,. i am a businessman and ill always look at something with a profit in it, however i have a gut feeling and feel bad here,. what would you do ?

First stop .... land office to check for leases/debts/encumberances on the house .... it aint a deal at all if she sells you a place with 27 years on a 30 year lease that has been paid already.

But mainly ... walking into domestic problems? no way!

If you dont buy i am sure somone else will if its such a bargain - so the old guy gets it anyway.  Wont be the first :o   (unfortunatley)

Stay out of it!

mark

im sure its all in her name to sell, shes a fourty yr old expericened one this one,.you are ( so far ) telling me what i already think, but i know some unscruoulous sod will charge right in and buy it and make a mill,. but at least i can sleep,.

What if he's a member of this forum for example and comes on here in a month asking what to so about this thai wife that done him over and now he has nothing?

she's out to get him and you shouldn't get involved!

Get a concience!

Mark

Edit: i'm all up for making the cash mate but this is wrong.... big time

Edited by markr

What if he's a member of this forum for example and comes on here in a month asking what to so about this thai wife that done him over and now he has nothing?

You shouldn't get involved!

Get a concience!

Mark

i have a conscience,.thats why im asking what you lot would do, ive made my decision ,.

The money is all good and that, I'd be tempted but it just aint right, I know someone will buy it anyway but as you said you'll be able to sleep at night!

Mark

I must be getting old,and soft in my old age, .didnt like the feel of it at all,. some guy coming in the morning at 10 she tells me,.

huh?

If I knew the property was hers ... and unencumbered ... and a real value? <I mean a REAL value so I knew I could turn it fast? That's what people do! No shame in that. My issues are with the drama of domestic issues ... but if I could turn it fast why not? Make 1,000,000 in a week or 3? The big issue is knowing the land!

huh?

If I knew the property was hers ... and unencumbered ... and a real value? <I mean a REAL value so I knew I could turn it fast? That's what people do! No shame in that. My issues are with the drama of domestic issues ... but if I could turn it fast why not? Make 1,000,000 in a week or 3? The big issue is knowing the land!

As i said im sure its all kosher and in her name and free to sell etc,. and yes a million cash injection would be all very nice, but if i ever saw the old boy i know i couldnt live with myself knowing i had assisted in fleecing him,.,

How would you have assisted in fleecing him? It's the woman you'd be fleecing .... SHE's fleecing him :D
How did you arrive at that ? she asked me for that amount, i didnt make an offer. .should i say, oh no i couldnt possibly pay that its worth much more !. ill remember that one when i buy my next car :o Edited by mikethevigoman

PM me , I'd like to see the property.

Sorry jimmy, if you ended up buying it it would be the same as if i did,.the info would have come from me, ill let sleeping dogs lie,.

Sorry jimmy, if you ended up buying it it would be the same as if i did,.the info would have come from me, ill let sleeping dogs lie,.

Maybe in the current housing market it is only worth approx. what she is asking ?

East Pattaya is loaded with 3 bedrooms.

How would you have assisted in fleecing him? It's the woman you'd be fleecing .... SHE's fleecing him :D
How did you arrive at that ? she asked me for that amount, i didnt make an offer. :D .shoud i say, oh no i couldnt possibly pay that its worth much more !. ill remember that on when i buy my next car :o

:D LOL ...

OK there's the nature of the domestic issues .... she's willing to sell for what you say is FAR under current value. Her house her choice ... but her reasoning shows emotional reasoning and not prudent financial reasoning. If they were actually married the could get nailed for 1/2 of the assetts <just a guess ... but that is how it reads to me!>

If you bought your next car from someone trying to screw their partner or bereaved from a death etc <involving the car> and paid far under value for it, it would be similar .... but in neither case would it be illegal <questionable ethics? sure!>

again ... would I do it? Only if I thought I could avoid the emotional/domestic drama ... My peace of mind is more valuable than any other thing

How did you arrive at that ? she asked me for that amount, i didnt make an offer. :D .shoud i say, oh no i couldnt possibly pay that its worth much more !. ill remember that on when i buy my next car :o

:D LOL ...

OK there's the nature of the domestic issues .... she's willing to sell for what you say is FAR under current value. Her house her choice ... but her reasoning shows emotional reasoning and not prudent financial reasoning. If they were actually married the could get nailed for 1/2 of the assetts <just a guess ... but that is how it reads to me!>

If you bought your next car from someone trying to screw their partner or bereaved from a death etc <involving the car> and paid far under value for it, it would be similar .... but in neither case would it be illegal <questionable ethics? sure!>

again ... would I do it? Only if I thought I could avoid the emotional/domestic drama ... My peace of mind is more valuable than any other thing

Thankyou ,my feelings entirely,.and every time i look at my daughter i want to know she is looking up to me as decent dad,.

Maybe in the current housing market it is only worth approx. what she is asking ?

East Pattaya is loaded with 3 bedrooms.

I did put in the details she asked me 1.4, it is listed with an estate agent for 2.9, shes including all furniture etc and a quite nice aquarium Edited by mikethevigoman

A foreigner cannot buy land. So you would be buying a bungalow on somebody else’s land. Then you want to sell the bungalow again. What are the possible complications? Do you have to buy a lease for the land on which the bungalow stands? Can you re-sell the lease without the land owner’s written agreement?

--

Maestro

A foreigner cannot buy land. So you would be buying a bungalow on somebody else’s land. Then you want to sell the bungalow again. What are the possible complications? Do you have to buy a lease for the land on which the bungalow stands? Can you re-sell the lease without the land owner’s written agreement?

--

Maestro

Good points Maestro.

When I loaned my wife the money to buy our house she had my name added to hers on the Land Office registration, but I cannot inherit the land for keeps - I have to sell within the year (or so she tells me).

On the other habd we have a loan agreement whereby I have lent her the money for the house (interest free) and then registered a 30-year lease where I pay rent slightly more than her repayments to me.

So if she sells I have two strings to my bow - she should repay the balance of the loan and I should still be able to enforce a lease from the new purchaser.

So it is a bit dodgy to purchase property in the middle of a domestic dispute. You may get a cheap property, but only derive a small income from it.

Has this guy gone back to UK for good? Maybe needs medical care on NHS or has family there that want him back?

None of us know the whole story - so stay clear is my recommendation.

After performing all due diligence required, if it still looks to be a good deal, & you want to proceed with the purchase (taking note of all foreign ownwership laws with regards to property in Thailand), buy it.

If the Thai owner wants to sell, what's the difference if you buy it or someone else?

If you personally know the older guy, & you think he may be getting scammed, well thats up to you as to how you'de handle it.

Cheers,

Soundman.

the unfortunate thing here is that you know the back ground, it certaintly would have been better not knowing anything and buy the house off a Thai woman at a bargain price for a quick sale. As already mentioned she is ripping this guy off not you, I would go through the paperwork very very closely, most falangs will own a share of a property in such a way it prevents its sale without his permission

What if the bust up story is bovine scatology and the guy has just gone back for medical treatment or see his familty and she is outright fleecing him? You buy the house, he comes back finds out he's been done and dies of a heart attack or joins the balcony divers club, how are you going to feel? You could be the hard nosed businessman about it as he's gonna get done anyway but the fact you came on this forum and asked shows you aint that type.

One mill is hard to walk away from but you can't hide from your conciense.

Buy the house. Beat her down on the price to a million, if shes in a hurry she might take it.

If the man dosent return youve got yourself a bargain.

if he returns and has indeed been mugged by his mrs, sell him the house at the price you paid. Its cost him something but you will have done the right thing, and you can sleep well at night.....! :o

Is this guy a loaner? if not he will have friends who may be able to contact him and advise him whats going on.

The real villains are those who advised him to buy in the wifes name, probably the person who sold him the property.

I doubt there is much he can do to stop the wife selling it even if he was sitting in it.

BB