New Year Resolution: Let’s be more environmentally friendly and encourage Thais to do likewise

rooster59

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just get them to use the trash cans that line the streets like in other countries around the world, oh wait watch trash cans, ergo why they just throw the wrappers and empties on the ground in an empty field or any Klong.  You can not fix this no matter how hard you try.  

Sometimes you have to dig deep.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just get them to use the trash cans that line the streets like in other countries around the world, oh wait watch trash cans, ergo why they just throw the wrappers and empties on the ground in an empty field or any Klong.  You can not fix this no matter how hard you try.  

But its worth trying. 

• Like 1

Happy New year Rooster, a pleasure not having to read anything Covid related for a change, my reading radar gets activated whenever it detects Covid this or Covid that, variant number nine et etc etc.   Year of the Gold Tiger, my year born 1950, hope to get back to LOS soon.  Swasdee Pee Mai

Edited by TunnelRat69

I remember growing up in Australia in the 1960s and 1970s. People threw rubbish wherever they wanted. But this slowly changed such that by the 1990s it was no longer socially acceptable.

When a Thai visitor casually empties the rubbish from their car onto the street I ask whether they would do so if it was Royal property? Who is responsible for their rubbish on public property? 

Maybe a campaign saying that littering is like throwing rubbish onto Royal land or land dedicated to Buddha. It is an insult and disgrace to the whole Thai nation.

Of course, increasing the number of public rubbish bins would be an excellent start.

In Thailand I am often wandering around with a handful of rubbish looking for a public bin. In Australia there are bins everywhere. Mind you, in Australia I am often wandering around looking for an ATM. This is not a problem in Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Environmentally friendly.  <laughs>

It's January so I expect we have  another month of clean air up here in Northern Thailand before the heat sets in and the Thais head for the hills with the express intent of burning them down - year, after year, after year. 
Hell, by that time of year my solar cell probably work at half-capacity as the entire North is shrouded in PM2.5 and PM10 so bad that yearly we have "The Worst Air Quality In The World."  Like on the days I can't see the other side of our mountain valley 10 km away.

Well you could conversely say that Thailand is Number 1 in The Worse Air Quality in The World to go along with having the Number 1 Most Dangerous Roads in The World. 

• Like 2

There is so much garbage everywhere I have gone in this country over the last 15 years.  Side of the road, in a field, on the beach.. the way it gets dumped into the environment here is heart breaking.  There is an island of trash floating in the Gulf of Thailand thats many KM long.  Happy to see the reduction of plastic bags at 7 and such, but it would take education and decades of clean up to really turn things around here... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seriously I thought must be a joke.. in these day and I’ve never seen so many people litter throw trash on the ground thinking someone else will clean it up... eat something just drop it on the ground.. I just

looked in my front yard four styrofoam food containers thrown on the ground.. well should I credit them for feeding the dogs or face value lazy and or ignorant... 

It should be taught at home at schools and policed and fined.. IMO the mentality at least in NE oh

one won’t matter.. but it’s not one.. it’s thousands of people....end of rant .. uhhh wait teach to wash knives instead of using the same one to cut meat for a week ... without washing.. 

• Like 1

I would agree with all the post except the EV part.

No point for the next 10 years in Thailand investing in one.

Apart from chargers being so hard to find out of the main cities, the energy you use to recharge is

90% fossil made anyway including coal & even dirty lignite plus the transport loss may even exceed 10%.

Happy New Year to one & all

Question while I am here, How is the Government of the Day going to recoup all the fuel tax 

lost to EV's.?

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I always had the impression that Royal Parks / Royal land /buildings were immune from the trash and bad behavior. So if Thais can be taught not to do it in Royal parks, surely they can be taught to behave in other places.

• Like 1

The first time I came here In 2006 I spent a week riding in the back of a pickup with my wife and and her nieces we had bought some lumyai from a street vendor after eating I threw the seed out the back and her niece got all over me for doing it now I see people throwing their trash out of their cars like it don't matter 

21 hours ago, xenophon said:

'encourage Thais to do likewise'

Is this a tad patronising? e.g. lets show some commonsense and encourage ....... (brits, americans, indians, germans, etc. fill in the space) to do likewise

I think the point is that now westerners do that already and don't need the encouragement.

We already went through our transition of being litterbugs to decent citizens (as detailed in the OP).

Ten years ago was my first visit to Thailand in 50 years, and nothing has changed. I commented to my Thai wife, it was a shame the Thai people are not better stewards of their land. At that time walking around Bangkok everywhere you looked there were plastic bags with empty food boxes that were thrown to the gowned, and dog pop everywhere. I now live in a small city and it is the same. Garbage collection is a joke, animal control is also a big joke, the rice farmers still burn their straw. I could go on with the many environment abuses but why should I. If the Thai government is going to implement this they need to enforce it. 

It has been said, and it good advice for all "If you are going to make a change you have to look at the man in the mirror" This is a very profound statement, but the Thai people have no mirrors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We should all try to be cleaner. I have found that many places in Thailand does not have trash cans or such 

too handy. I tend to pack my garbage around for a while before finding a place to put it.  My Thai family are pretty good with

recycling, and since they have a stall in a local market, they are very aware of the importance of being clean.

When I ride my motorcycle around the Hua Hin, city and area, I have seen many illegal places used as dumps.

It does make the place a lot less attractive.  Happy New year to all.