UK Spouse Visa

Hello. I’m preparing a UK spouse visa for my wife. I’m the sponsor. For uploading documents on the VFS website, if I have a digital version of a document upload it and if I have a paper version of a document scan and upload? Is that of if some are digital copies and some are scanned paper copies? Is it better to pay for the VFS scanning service?

for list your shared financial responsibilities. She put.

As we are currently not living together we do not have any shared financial responsibilities, however my husband helps with my rent by sending money almost each month as can be seen by the invoices provided from Western Union and World Remit. 

Do I also need to print the credit card invoices I to show how I paid or would the Western Union and World Remit invoices be enough? I did not use my bank account to pay for sending support just my credit card.

My employment letter will not include how long I’ve been getting my current salary, I’ve included a copy of my letter, if anyone could give some input please.

And finally 

I just got my bank statements today and got every page stamped but the stamp is a bit faded at the bottom, guess they were running out of ink. For example if the branch of the bank was “Rainbow Road” it’s hard to see. Everything else is clear though, like date, sort code and bank name.I just got my bank statements today and got every page stamped but the stamp is a bit faded at the bottom, guess they were running out of ink. Everything else is clear though, like date, sort code and bank name.

I know that’s a lot of questions but I’m very stressed at the moment and would appreciate advice or experience anyone is willing to share.

Thank you

3DD09585-E19B-4B58-93CF-A61F5A65B5AB.png

Edited by MisterMr

Do I also need to print the credit card invoices I to show how I paid or would the Western Union and World Remit invoices be enough? I did not use my bank account to pay for sending support just my credit card.

I can't offer any official advice on this one but, if the WU and WR invoices do not give an indication of where the money comes from (ie, that it's not clear it is from you) then I'd suggest sending your credit card statements too as they'd have matching dates / sums

Re the letter from the employer - that's a tough one if you are hitting company policy.  Seems like companies are getting pretty hot around the GDPR rules and are very reluctant to release any protected data about their employees.  Looking at the specifics of the required evidence there needs to be an indication of how long you have been on that salary.

image.png.5ad7f80348fd529c96f36912b0ca77be.png

If possible you could have HR take a look at the guidance 2. (b) (iii) and maybe bend the rule?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, globalThailand said:

I can't offer any official advice on this one but, if the WU and WR invoices do not give an indication of where the money comes from (ie, that it's not clear it is from you) then I'd suggest sending your credit card statements too as they'd have matching dates / sums

Re the letter from the employer - that's a tough one if you are hitting company policy.  Seems like companies are getting pretty hot around the GDPR rules and are very reluctant to release any protected data about their employees.  Looking at the specifics of the required evidence there needs to be an indication of how long you have been on that salary.

image.png.5ad7f80348fd529c96f36912b0ca77be.png

If possible you could have HR take a look at the guidance 2. (b) (iii) and maybe bend the rule?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Hi thank you so much. I know it’s not official advice just some input and experience shared is great. Your reply helps a lot, I appreciate it. I’ll ask them and show the guidance.

The required confirmation of the period at which you have been paid at the current salary is to evidence that your salary hasn't been raised just to let you meet the financial threshold requirement (and might possibly be reduced after the application is made). If you have other evidence (maybe wage slips for a considerable period of time, or a contract, confirming your starting/continuing salary), then mention all of this in a supporting letter and in the "any other information" section of the application form, and submit the evidence of that.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:01 AM, Tony M said:

The required confirmation of the period at which you have been paid at the current salary is to evidence that your salary hasn't been raised just to let you meet the financial threshold requirement (and might possibly be reduced after the application is made). If you have other evidence (maybe wage slips for a considerable period of time, or a contract, confirming your starting/continuing salary), then mention all of this in a supporting letter and in the "any other information" section of the application form, and submit the evidence of that.  

Thank you very much too. Hi, I also have a pay rise letter from the the company, it has the date. Would that help?

Can I go to VFS and scan my documents in the UK and my wife scan her documents at VFS in her country? I was thinking of sending my documents to her by Fedex actually. I don’t have a scanner and the scanner app on phones don’t work well.

8 hours ago, MisterMr said:

Can I go to VFS and scan my documents in the UK and my wife scan her documents at VFS in her country? I was thinking of sending my documents to her by Fedex actually. I don’t have a scanner and the scanner app on phones don’t work well.

I don't know if that has ever been tried, but my feeling is "no".  Why don't you upload the documents yourself online, and your wife do the same in Thailand.  I'm sure any internet cafe/shop will assist in scanning and uploading for you.  However, having said that, maybe it is possible to upload some documents at VFS in the UK. Costwise, it's probably cheaper to send all of the documents to your wife in Thailand (scanning at VFS in Thailand is around 60 GBP and, I think, around 75 GBP in the UK).  You could try asking VFS (and let us know the answer, please) :

[email protected]

Edited by Tony M
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tony M said:

I don't know if that has ever been tried, but my feeling is "no".  Why don't you upload the documents yourself online, and your wife do the same in Thailand.  I'm sure any internet cafe/shop will assist in scanning and uploading for you.  However, having said that, maybe it is possible to upload some documents at VFS in the UK. Costwise, it's probably cheaper to send all of the documents to your wife in Thailand (scanning at VFS in Thailand is around 60 GBP and, I think, around 75 GBP in the UK).  You could try asking VFS (and let us know the answer, please) :

[email protected]

Hi Tony

Thanks a lot. 

My wife recently updated passport. The thing is, the old one has all travel history and stamps etc, should we just include this in extra information?

11 hours ago, MisterMr said:

Hi Tony

Thanks a lot. 

My wife recently updated passport. The thing is, the old one has all travel history and stamps etc, should we just include this in extra information?

Just put copies of her previous passport pages in with the application.   The application form asks for details of some previous travel.

• Thanks 1

Hi thank you. I’m about apply, my last payslip was from 21st December 2021. I heard something about the last payslip can’t be more 28 days old is that true? Also I was told not to user a highlighter on bank statements but how can I make it easier for the ECO, use a pencil?

I think that may well be true.  My lawyer made an offhand comment about our application saying any day after the 19th means I'd need another payslip.  I didn't pick him up on why at the time but it makes sense as I too had the early Xmas payslip

As for marking the statements - would suggest not trying to direct the ECO attention anywhere and leave things unmarked - it's what they are paid to look at after all (and the amount these visa's cost let them earn their crust ???? )

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, globalThailand said:

I think that may well be true.  My lawyer made an offhand comment about our application saying any day after the 19th means I'd need another payslip.  I didn't pick him up on why at the time but it makes sense as I too had the early Xmas payslip

As for marking the statements - would suggest not trying to direct the ECO attention anywhere and leave things unmarked - it's what they are paid to look at after all (and the amount these visa's cost let them earn their crust ???? )

Ok great, that you. ???? 

Because I’m living with my parents I need to show land registry and mortgage payments. The mortgage statements come from April 2020 to March 2021. They don’t send monthly ones. Should I ask for mortgage statements from this month going back 6 moths?

Edited by MisterMr

While it doesn't follow the guidance to the letter you can of course infer from the information you will provide (bank statements / payslips etc) that you are earning the required amount in the required time frame.  That said I wouldn't want to give any definitive answer here - there may be others on the forum in a better position to answer or, perhaps you could contact an immigration lawyer for proper legal advice?

One thing I can say from experience - I had previously (for the FLR) asked my employer to write this confirmation of employment letter and a separate letter verifying the payslips as this was what I had gathered from the guidance notes was the requirement.  BUT I have been told by an immigration lawyer for our ILR that a single letter for both things, as you have, is sufficient. 

• Thanks 1

Global Thailand thank you very much.

My latest payslip was from yesterday. If I provide payslips from January 2021 to January 2022 that’s 13. Or should I just give from February 2021 to January 2022? Providing an extra one can’t be as bad as providing less?

Edited by MisterMr

You seem to be complicating the matter.  What category are you under as a sponsor meeting the financial requirement ?   Salaried employment, non-salaried employment, Category A or B ?    If you are meeting the requirement as a "basic" sponsor (normally, in salaried employment for more than 6 months with the same employer) then the ECO  only requires 6 months of wage slips to calculate your income. But, if you are intending to also demonstrate your income over a period of time (to show that you have been paid at the same salary for a long period) then it doesn't matter how many wage slips you send over and above the required 6 months as long as it is evidencing your claimed income level. Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you fully understand the financial requirements for sponsoring a spouse visa ?  

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:32 AM, Tony M said:

You seem to be complicating the matter.  What category are you under as a sponsor meeting the financial requirement ?   Salaried employment, non-salaried employment, Category A or B ?    If you are meeting the requirement as a "basic" sponsor (normally, in salaried employment for more than 6 months with the same employer) then the ECO  only requires 6 months of wage slips to calculate your income. But, if you are intending to also demonstrate your income over a period of time (to show that you have been paid at the same salary for a long period) then it doesn't matter how many wage slips you send over and above the required 6 months as long as it is evidencing your claimed income level. Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you fully understand the financial requirements for sponsoring a spouse visa ?  

Hi Tony thank you, sorry I’m getting into a bit of a panic and mix up. Umm I have been with my employer for more than a year, so I think it’s category B. So I decided to cover a 12 month period of payslips and bank statements January 2021 to January 2022. But I didn’t see anywhere on the form where I could select category B.

Do we need to fill in Appendix 2 VAF4A? 

By the time we finish this process I would have aged 20 years ????

Thanks again

Thank you bigyin. I think I’ve made a big mistake.mwhen did the application form online and paid on the 20th Jan. But my latest payslip on the 21st of Jan and bank statement on the 21st. I just knew the oldest document had to be within 28 days. I’m worried they will fail us because I’ve just read it documents can be after the date of application.

Should I contact the home office to tell them? Or cancel and redo it with or without the refund?

Edited by MisterMr

My recent experience has been with ILR and citizenship And my opinion would be that if they require one more payslip and a bank statement then they will ask you for it rather than reject the application. They reject applications which clearly fail to meet the requirements but not normally for applications where it is simply a question of a missing document. Tony M was at one time an entry clearance officer so if he sees this he might be able to confirm that my understanding is correct. At the end of the day of course it has to be up to you as to how you want to proceed As I wouldn’t want you to take my advice and then have it rejected. As I say, however, my opinion is that it would  not be.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigyin said:

My recent experience has been with ILR and citizenship And my opinion would be that if they require one more payslip and a bank statement then they will ask you for it rather than reject the application. They reject applications which clearly fail to meet the requirements but not normally for applications where it is simply a question of a missing document. Tony M was at one time an entry clearance officer so if he sees this he might be able to confirm that my understanding is correct. At the end of the day of course it has to be up to you as to how you want to proceed As I wouldn’t want you to take my advice and then have it rejected. As I say, however, my opinion is that it would  not be.

No way, I would never blame anyone for giving me their input. I need to do my own research afterwards. I appreciate your opinion. 

I really hope that they have some understanding and grace as it’s just 1 day after the application. I’m super stressed and I think my head is gonna explode from worry.

I have been there 4 times(3 visas+citizenship) so I know exactly how you feel. I think the thing to remember is that there is no agenda in the Home Office to reject applications just for the sake of it. They are trying to stop people who are trying to abuse the system or just simply do not qualify and my experience is that genuine errors or omissions are normally dealt with by a request for further documentation. As I said before your decision obviously but in my opinion It will be fine and I don’t think they really would even ask for any further information.

13 hours ago, MisterMr said:

Hi Tony thank you, sorry I’m getting into a bit of a panic and mix up. Umm I have been with my employer for more than a year, so I think it’s category B. So I decided to cover a 12 month period of payslips and bank statements January 2021 to January 2022. But I didn’t see anywhere on the form where I could select category B.

Do we need to fill in Appendix 2 VAF4A? 

By the time we finish this process I would have aged 20 years ????

Thanks again

You are confused. I think.  It sounds like it should be Category A, and your "annualised" salary will be calculated on the income from the 6 months prior to the date of application (you say you submitted on 20th January). I say that it sounds like Category A, as the category can depend on your current income, or if you are in non-salaried, rather than salaried, employment. 

After the online application is submitted, you cannot add later - dated wage slips, etc. If there is a wage slip missing from the submitted documents, and it is the last wage slip or bank statement in a series, then the ECO might ask for you to submit it. If it is a wage slip(s) or bank statement(s) from somewhere in the 6 months of submitted wage slips, then the ECO might not/should not include that salary payment in his calculation of your annualised salary.

Yes, fill out the Appendix 2.  I'm not sure why applicants still need to submit this form, as most, if not all, of the information is now included in the online application form. It does, however, require you to state what category you are applying under.

If you are in a real panic, or now think that you don't met the requirement, then you can cancel the application and re-submit  at a later date. You can request a refund of the visa fee(s) but it will take a month or so for the UKVI to get the refund to you. You can still re-submit while you are waiting for the refund, but you will need another few thousand GBP to re-submit !

We don't know if you qualify financially or not. As said, it will probably depend on your income in the 6 months prior to the date of application (Category A). But if you want to give details of your income, then you can send me a private message with a copy of your latest wage slip (you can blank out your personal details, NI number , etc), and I will try to calculate your annualised salary.  If you don't get the same basic salary every month in the last 6 months, then let me know that also. 

Have you made an appontment for the applicant to attend to give biometrics ? What is that date ? You can postpone the appointment, if necessary, and you can submit documents up to the date of doing the biometrics (the date you paid the fee is the application date).  The ECO will, however, calculate your annualised salary on documents covering the 6 months prior to the date of application.

Thanks to others who have also commented here. All advice has been good !

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony M said:

You are confused. I think.  It sounds like it should be Category A, and your "annualised" salary will be calculated on the income from the 6 months prior to the date of application (you say you submitted on 20th January). I say that it sounds like Category A, as the category can depend on your current income, or if you are in non-salaried, rather than salaried, employment. 

After the online application is submitted, you cannot add later - dated wage slips, etc. If there is a wage slip missing from the submitted documents, and it is the last wage slip or bank statement in a series, then the ECO might ask for you to submit it. If it is a wage slip(s) or bank statement(s) from somewhere in the 6 months of submitted wage slips, then the ECO might not/should not include that salary payment in his calculation of your annualised salary.

Yes, fill out the Appendix 2.  I'm not sure why applicants still need to submit this form, as most, if not all, of the information is now included in the online application form. It does, however, require you to state what category you are applying under.

If you are in a real panic, or now think that you don't met the requirement, then you can cancel the application and re-submit  at a later date. You can request a refund of the visa fee(s) but it will take a month or so for the UKVI to get the refund to you. You can still re-submit while you are waiting for the refund, but you will need another few thousand GBP to re-submit !

We don't know if you qualify financially or not. As said, it will probably depend on your income in the 6 months prior to the date of application (Category A). But if you want to give details of your income, then you can send me a private message with a copy of your latest wage slip (you can blank out your personal details, NI number , etc), and I will try to calculate your annualised salary.  If you don't get the same basic salary every month in the last 6 months, then let me know that also. 

Have you made an appontment for the applicant to attend to give biometrics ? What is that date ? You can postpone the appointment, if necessary, and you can submit documents up to the date of doing the biometrics (the date you paid the fee is the application date).  The ECO will, however, calculate your annualised salary on documents covering the 6 months prior to the date of application.

Thanks to others who have also commented here. All advice has been good !

Thank very much Tony that is very kind of you. I will pm the details shortly. This is very much appreciated. My wife and I are both stressed out from this.