10,000 Anti-coup Demonstrators Expected At Sanam Luang Rally

george

10,000 anti-coup demonstrators expected at Sanam Luang rally

BANGKOK: -- Some 8,000 to 10,000 persons, including former members of the now disbanded Thai Rak Thai party, are expected to join an anti-coup rally organised by People's Television (PTV), an alternative broadcast media organised by associates of discredited prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who claims he has left politics.

Only 200 police have been assigned to crowd control duties at Sanam Luang, the Thai capital's traditional venue for anti-government demonstrations, to maintain law and order, according to senior police officers. The government is committed to preventing violence from taking place, and to not encouraging altercations by fielding too many security.

Bangkok police chief Pol. Lt-Gen. Adisorn Nonsi said he expected a substantial crowd, including many ex-members of the Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party which Mr. Thaksin founded and used as his political power base, in Saturday's demonstration against the Council for National Security and the interim government of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

The TRT was ordered to dissolve following last week's ruling by the Constitution Tribunal that party officers committed electoral fraud in the lead-up to the April 2, 2006 general election, which was declared null and void later.

111 senior executives of the party, including Mr. Thaksin, were banned from all political activities for the next five years.

The executives and founders of PTV are former members of Thai Rak Thai party. It is unknown what action would be taken against senior executives of the party if they join in the rally to be held at Sanam Luang Saturday evening.

Officers from police stations throughout the capital are urging the public to remain at home in response to concern that violence could erupt.

--TNA 2007-06-09

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's all going to end in tears ,

I pray there's no blood as well .

I don't think it will happen unless things get really out of "control". It would be extremly stupid to use force now. Let's hope everything will be fine.

The executives and founders of PTV are former members of Thai Rak Thai party. It is unknown what action would be taken against senior executives of the party if they join in the rally to be held at Sanam Luang Saturday evening.

Can someone tell me what unpleasantries will be bestowed on the moths mentioned above if they become too tempted by the flame and become political during the rally?

I pray that the police and army will remain Jai Yen, cool hearted.

I hope so too.

The bigger problem though might be provocateurs from the other side, such as a women last week which has thrown a bag of feces against one of the demonstrators. Not reported in the English language media, but in the Thai papers it was on the cover.

they expect 10,000 :o

it will end with a few hundreds of people protesting, and maybe a taxi driver that will slam his car in protest.

tomorrow TRT will say that it was over then expected and that there were over 10,000. :D

The bigger problem though might be provocateurs from the other side, such as a women last week which has thrown a bag of feces against one of the demonstrators. Not reported in the English language media, but in the Thai papers it was on the cover.

Provocation is indeed a worry. It is a very old tactic to hire some thugs to pretend they work for the other side. These protests hve reportedly had their own thugs to police thmselves and have been trying to start a fight with police too. It could be eplosive.

I pray that the police and army will remain Jai Yen, cool hearted.

I hope so too.

I have to reverse my statement - this is definitely going to end in tears.

Tonight were more than 20 000 demonstrators, and a bit of violence as well. Fortunately the cops were extremely disciplined, so nothing serious happened.

But this will not go away.

Back in my day, 20,000 people in one place was called a Rave, no police were ever needed for that, unless of course they wanted people to stop enjoying themselves. But this is different, saw it on the news, didn't look good.

post-27080-1181419622.gif

In Thailand nearly everyone from the cities to the Isan villages knew that Thaksin was corrupt. Thaksin's corruption was intolerably oppressively excessive and extremely disturbing.

-----------------------------------------------------

ANTI-JUNTA RALLY

Protesters target Army

Anti-coup protesters last night marched from Bangkok's Sanam Luang to the Army headquarters on Rajdamnoen Avenue, demanding the resignation of the Council for National Security (CNS).

Metropolitan Police chief Pol Lt-General Adisorn Nonsee said all personnel had been ordered not to carry any weapons in a move aimed at preventing untoward incidents.

post-27080-1181417914_thumb.jpg

A supporter of PTV holds a picture of exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra during anti-coup rally.

Police used only anti-riot shields in dealing with the protesters, who were led by Veera Musikapong, a former Thai Rak Thai Party figure.

Weng Torjirakan, another rally leader, said last night that the protesters would not cause any unrest, despite the fears of the police.

CNS chairman General Sonthi Boonyaratglin said he had no concerns, as even some of his relatives were among the protesters.

post-27080-1181417540_thumb.jpg

Police mobilised more than 1,350 personnel to control the rally.

"The police are in charge and we'll strictly follow the law," the CNS chief said.

At around 10pm, an estimated 10,000 protesters reached a police checkpoint at Democracy Monument heading towards Pan Fa Leelas Bridge and the Army headquarters opposite Rajdamnoen Boxing Stadium.

Anti-coup rallies have been taking place every day at Sanam Luang for a week.

Besides Veera and Weng, the other leaders included Manit Jitjankab, a former judge, Prateep Ungsongtham, and community radio hosts Chinawat Haboonpad and Chupong Teetuan.

post-27080-1181417714_thumb.jpg

Protesters are blocked by police as they march from Sanam Luang to the Army headquarters on Rajdamneon Avenue.

These leaders said the protesters would meet tomorrow outside Parliament to oppose the new constitution drafted by a body appointed by the CNS.

Police said it had 600 personnel stationed in front of the Army headquarters, 300 at Democracy Monument and 400 at Sanam Luang.

Maj-General Manit Wongsomboon of the Metropolitan Police said personnel had been ordered to be patient in dealing with demonstrators.

"Our task is to look after the rally participants, not to disperse them. However, demonstrators who violate the law will be arrested," Manit warned.

General Montri Sangkasub, the Army chief of staff, said the situation would not worsen as long as there was no third-party intervention to spur violence.

post-27080-1181417468_thumb.jpg

An anti-coup rally organised by People's Television ( PTV ). :o

post-27080-1181416973_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417041_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417127_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417196_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417251_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417311_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417357_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417416_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417774_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181417866_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181424513_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418022_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418090_thumb.jpg

Former Thai Senator Kraisak Chunhawan was attacked by protesters. :D

post-27080-1181418157_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418217_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418281_thumb.jpg

People's Television executives consistently denied they have direct links or received funding from ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or his Thai Rak Thai Party. :D

post-27080-1181418376_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418435_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418482_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418619_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1181418566_thumb.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

The TRT was ordered to dissolve following last week's ruling by the Constitution Tribunal that party officers committed electoral fraud in the lead-up to the April 2, 2006 general election, which was declared null and void later.

Edited by asd

it will end with a few hundreds of people protesting, and maybe a taxi driver that will slam his car in protest.

tomorrow TRT will say that it was over then expected and that there were over 10,000. :D

howis the kool aid highdiver, still sipping it i see, koolaid.jpg well let me pour you another glass

you are right, it is not 10,000 it is more....

Thailand: 13,000 protest military-backed rule

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

howis the kool aid highdiver, still sipping it i see, koolaid.jpg well let me pour you another glass

you are right, it is not 10,000 it is more....

Thailand: 13,000 protest military-backed rule

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

in one post they said 20,000

in your post you said 13,000 however your link to jpost says 10,000

the nation also quates 10,000

bangkok post quates around 10,000

as I said before ....a few hundred protestors all dressed up and shouting led by a corrupt politician.

the remaing people are the ones who are usualy on the streets and are just following to see the action as there is nothing better to do.

as with any facts given about any rally in any country the figures are always exegerated as they make good headlines.

now run a long and get me that ale. and make sure it has a lot of ice... :D

This is clearly a paid pro Thaksin rally under the name of Anti Junta just by looking at what was said, what was worn and how they acted. The unfortunate part about this is they are pawns and in chess pawns are often sacrificed to save other pieces. In this case it looks like the pawns sacrifice will be blood in the streets.

I can not see the logic in this. All that they are demanding has already been set in motion before the rally. It is a bit like having a rally to make the stars appear in the sky at night. The only reason I can see is to disrupt the process of bringing Thaksin to justice.

Apparently next up is an attack on the constitution draft. At least that I can see the reason, the draft has some powerful language that will force the bad boys to be good boys and they want no part of that at all.

Probably a good time to stock up on Mamas noodles.

Despite what for Thailand is a reasonable sized rally, all the signs are....

1. The draft constitution will be passed at referendum

2. Elections will take place on time

3. the CNS and military will disappear into the hole from where they came...

Now that's an outlook a whole lot rosier than 3 months ago... we just have to keep our fingers crossed...

you sir are as irrelevant as your rose coloured glasses , industrial strength as they may be . :D

how's sales , Mr Agent ??

Despite what for Thailand is a reasonable sized rally, all the signs are....

1. The draft constitution will be passed at referendum

2. Elections will take place on time

3. the CNS and military will disappear into the hole from where they came...

Now that's an outlook a whole lot rosier than 3 months ago... we just have to keep our fingers crossed...

I have to agree with this. It reflect what the juntas plans have been all along. However you did forget item 4 being Thaksin will be forced to show his true colors one way or another. Either in a court of law or hiding in some country with some lame excuse what he can’t come back.

as I said before ....a few hundred protestors all dressed up and shouting led by a corrupt politician.

the remaing people are the ones who are usualy on the streets and are just following to see the action as there is nothing better to do.

as with any facts given about any rally in any country the figures are always exegerated as they make good headlines.

now run a long and get me that ale. and make sure it has a lot of ice... :o

Sorry, but you are very wrong there.

The crowd was massive, my guess is that it was around 20K, others may guess a bit less, whatever. It is very difficult to guess such large crowds. Additionally, there were reports that larger groups from upcountry were blocked from joining in the suburbs.

They were not led by one politician, but many smaller groups, both pro and anti Thaksin, have joined the demonstration (the majority of protesters though were clearly pro Thaksin).

The potential for violence is clearly there. The protesters have been mostly of a more blue collar background, and there was a lot of raw anger. The organizers tried to control the people, but that was only possible with difficulties.

This was a clear warning what might happen if there is no compromise found soon. Fortunately the police was very disciplined yesterday, otherwise this would have ended in a massive riot.

I am rather stunned at the under reporting of yesterday's demonstration.

In the past, during the PAD demonstrations of similar size there were constantly updated life web blogs in English language by the Nation, and here we have hardly anything at all, and the little published on it completely down played the affair.

:o

Edited by ColPyat

now run a long and get me that ale. and make sure it has a lot of ice... :o

Sorry, but you are very wrong there.

The crowd was massive, my guess is that it was around 20K, others may guess a bit less, whatever. It is very difficult to guess such large crowds. Additionally, there were reports that larger groups from upcountry were blocked from joining in the suburbs.

They were not led by one politician, but many smaller groups, both pro and anti Thaksin, have joined the demonstration (the majority of protesters though were clearly pro Thaksin).

The potential for violence is clearly there. The protesters have been mostly of a more blue collar background, and there was a lot of raw anger. The organizers tried to control the people, but that was only possible with difficulties.

This was a clear warning what might happen if there is no compromise found soon. Fortunately the police was very disciplined yesterday, otherwise this would have ended in a massive riot.

Your estimate of 20,000 people is reflected in this article from today's People's Daily:

Unnecessary for emergency decree right now: Thai army leader

Thailand's Assistant Army Commander Gen. Anupong Phaochinda said on Sunday it is unnecessary to announce emergency state right now although more than 20,000 demonstrators marched to the army headquarters Saturday night and clashed with police.

"We believe the police could control the situation," said Anupong, who also is a deputy secretary-general of the Council for National Security (CNS). He said he saw no necessary to impose emergency decree.

Meanwhile, Bangkok police chief Pol. Lt-Gen. Adisorn Nonsi said the police will keep on monitoring the situation as the demonstrators are still rallying at the central Sanam Luang Square Sunday morning.

More than 20,000 anti-junta demonstrators marched on to the army headquarters Saturday night, breaking through several police barricades to demand the resignation of the coup leader and the end of Thailand's "military dictatorship".

They demanded the resignation of Army Chief General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin who masterminded the Sept. 19 coup last year that toppled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.....

Edited by chevykanteve

In the past, during the PAD demonstrations of similar size there were constantly updated life web blogs in English language by the Nation, and here we have hardly anything at all, and the little published on it completely down played the affair.

Those same PAD demonstrations were also broadcasted live via S.L.'s satellite service and moreover repeated via Internet TV. Would that the present government gave PTV the same courtesy that Dr. Taksin gave S.L. in terms of non-interference and speech freedom.

Regarding the bias of the Nation, I for one am not stunned. This is typical. Remember when Dr. Taksin went to at-Samat? Remember the Nation's coverage of that event? Was it objective coverage? I wish I were an actual subscriber to that newspaper, so that I could cancel my subscription.

In all honesty even the highest estimates of this PTV (20K) rally are still lower then the lowest estimates of most of the old PAD rallies (50K - 100K depending on which one) at this stage but I do expect numbers to grow now that MPs are involved. People I know who, and this may sound bizarre but is true, were at both PAD rallies and this PTV one reckon the PAD were bigger although it is very hard for participants to guess numbers from their low vantage points admittedly. However, my main point is below as arguing numbers is not really a worthwhile exercise.

Downplaying the impact/size of a rally is a something all governments try to do. In this case if a very violent incident occurs it will look like it came from a relatively small group of extremists. That police are unarmed and the military not invovled will also make any very violent act look worse to the public when/if it does happen. Demonstrations and riots are all about public perception. If when violence happens it appears to be a realtively small group of zealots attacking unarmed police trying to do their job it looks very different from armed soldiers firing on an unruly group of marchers, and what a governmetn can get away with in how it reacts is set by the perception. Out of control zealots attacking unarmed police makes it easy to get sympathy fo actions like arresting ringleaders or declaring states of emergency. Conversely, soldiers firing on demonstrators leaves a government looking for resignations or even facing collapse. Dangerous times and dangerous games.