10,000 Anti-coup Demonstrators Expected At Sanam Luang Rally

george

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t fear Thaksin, I think my point has been made in several posts. But to refresh you, when a head of state starts making blanket degrading insults that included me and other professionals that have spent a significant part of their life in schools and universities acquiring their education, I took notice to that. One of the other reasons was when his self-serving policies started to have a negative effect on me.

Unlike SJ I would be content to see Thaksin serve some jail time. I think the difference would be along the lines of how lone we have each spent in Thailand. SJ was here longer and was more emotionally effected by the E.J. killings and other things where I was not exposed to them.

I don’t feel what I am doing is anti Thaksin propaganda. I view it as helping the people who may not know about Thaksin see things for what they are without trying to put too much spin on them. You have see the posts from new TV members who really don’t know and are applying some other standard to render their opinions. I also try to rise above the emotions and lay out some ground word for debate, and make predictions based on how the players would respond.

I do however admit I enjoy watching Thaksin wiggle and squirm why trying to get out of things. There was a very clear shift from offensive to defensive when the TRT was dissolved. Any more PTV rallies I would see as dying gasps of a few looking for a way to stay out of jail. Sooner or later their name will be on the top of the list of people being investagated.

PM shows no worry over new form of protest

The Prime Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont, says he is not concerned over the new demonstration's pattern in Sanam Luang, and insists that the officials will take serious measures if the demonstrators are engaging in illegal activities.

Gen. Surayud says he is not worried if the rally members have decided to scattered and voiced their expressions in department stores and other public places. He sees that the demonstration is being carried out legally.

As for the demonstrators who have accused the Statesman and President of the Privy Councilor, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda, including the Council for the National Security (CNS) members, many parties have considered such allegation as inappropriate. Prime Minister Surayud says it would depend on the facts, and members of the public can examine and prove them.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 June 2007

This is quite interesting. The PTV boys are not that popular in Bangkok and they are going to split into small groups and go to department stores. This is going to not only expose them to the largely unsympathetic people of Bangkok but also expose them in areas where people have gone to relax. One wonders if PTV are actively seeking confrontation.

democracy is the real loser as long as this side show continues , and it will continue for exactly the length of time that it suites the junta's needs.

don't believe me , see who the appointed senators are when the dust settles .

Edited by Mid

I don’t fear Thaksin, I think my point has been made in several posts. But to refresh you, when a head of state starts making blanket degrading insults that included me and other professionals that have spent a significant part of their life in schools and universities acquiring their education, I took notice to that. One of the other reasons was when his self-serving policies started to have a negative effect on me.

Unlike SJ I would be content to see Thaksin serve some jail time. I think the difference would be along the lines of how lone we have each spent in Thailand. SJ was here longer and was more emotionally effected by the E.J. killings and other things where I was not exposed to them.

I don’t feel what I am doing is anti Thaksin propaganda. I view it as helping the people who may not know about Thaksin see things for what they are without trying to put too much spin on them. You have see the posts from new TV members who really don’t know and are applying some other standard to render their opinions. I also try to rise above the emotions and lay out some ground word for debate, and make predictions based on how the players would respond.

I do however admit I enjoy watching Thaksin wiggle and squirm why trying to get out of things. There was a very clear shift from offensive to defensive when the TRT was dissolved. Any more PTV rallies I would see as dying gasps of a few looking for a way to stay out of jail. Sooner or later their name will be on the top of the list of people being investagated.

I'm sure we all appreciate your generosity in sharing your immense wisdom with new TV members, but nevertheless if you don't mind me pointing out the head of state in Thailand is HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Veteran democracy fighters strongly deny backing Thaksin

Anti-coup rally needs facelift, say activists

Veteran democracy fighters joining anti-coup rallies are trying to distance themselves from misconceptions that they are supporters of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. They are pressing People's Television (PTV) executives and members of Mr Thaksin's now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party to make a major ''facelift'' to the demonstration, which many observers say now looks more like a pro-Thaksin rally than a protest for democracy. ''I will tell [PTV president] Veera today that we need to make it clear to the public that our goal is not to reinstate the deposed prime minister,'' Weng Tojirakarn of the Confederation for Democracy told the Bangkok Post yesterday. However, he said, it was difficult to stop himself and his organisation from being seen as pro-Thaksin because ''this rally originated with and is engineered by PTV''.

========================

One gets the feeling from this article that without the PTV'ers, the protester numbers would be back down in the hundreds.

Those attendees wishing to distance themselves from the "Return Thaksin To Power" angle are going to have a difficult time as that clearly, from the speakers to the posters, is the goal of the majority of the protesters.

I apologize for incorrectly predicting the plural.... instead of the actual singular, form of that word, "hundreds."

Downtown anti-junta rally flops

Fewer than 100 protesters joined a planned protest by the so-called Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship group led by Weng Tojirakarn at the toney Paragon shopping mall Saturday afternoon.

The group planned to stage mobile rallies at 51 locations throughout Bangkok to call for the military junta to resign.

They vowed to march to the residence of Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda on Sunday. The group claimed that Gen Prem was behind the Sept 19 coup.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=119817

======================================================

Well done, Doc Weng :o

I have to reverse my statement - this is definitely going to end in tears.

*tears of laughter perhaps, at the pathetic nature they've turned out to be....*

Tonight were more than 20 000 demonstrators, and a bit of violence as well.

*and tonight they had 20, and a large bit of boredom as well, I suspect.*

But this will not go away.

*sorry... but in less than three weeks.... it already has.* :D

Anti-coup group rallies in front of Siam Paragon

A group of 20 members of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship held a rally in front of Siam Paragon Saturday afternoon.

The rally was led by Weng Tojitrakarn and Jaral Disthapichai.

- The Nation

:o:D :D

Edited by sriracha john

I have to reverse my statement - this is definitely going to end in tears.

*tears of laughter perhaps, at the pathetic nature they've turned out to be....*

Tonight were more than 20 000 demonstrators, and a bit of violence as well.

*and tonight they had 20, and a large bit of boredom as well, I suspect.*

But this will not go away.

*sorry... but in less than three weeks.... it already has.* :D

Anti-coup group rallies in front of Siam Paragon

A group of 20 members of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship held a rally in front of Siam Paragon Saturday afternoon.

The rally was led by Weng Tojitrakarn and Jaral Disthapichai.

- The Nation

:o:D :D

...and a few dozen at the market in my area here in Bangkok, distributing leaflets, and i guess in many other areas of Bangkok as well.

And if you care looking at Thai newspapers, you can see, including photos, that yesterday was a violent confrontation in Rangsit between protesters that wanted to join the demonstrations at Sanam Luang, but were hindered so by police.

Additionally, there will be a symposium at Thamasat University, with many well known lecturers, journalists and pro democracy activists regrading the rejection of the constitution (i guess nobody sent you an invitation). And, even groups formerly part of the PAD are increasingly uncomfortable with the situation after the draconian ISOC laws have been included now.

Last Sunday's numbers at Sanam Luang was still 10 000 protesters, and given the blockade around Bangkok, and the military control in Bangkok's slums with a constant presence of army discouraging people from joining the protests, this is indeed very impressive.

But whatever, keep spreading ill informed propaganda picked up from junta mouth pieces posing as newspapers here that give a completely fake picture on Thailand's increasingly dire political and social situation.

It may satisfy simple minds to rave and rant about Thaksin, though they don't realize that, regardless of relentless propaganda of ideology and militarism otherwise, a constant barrage of 'patriotic' songs and speeches - Thailand is fast slipping into an era of severe instability that has very little to do with Thaksin, but has its roots in social struggles that started before Thaksin was born.

But yes, i should better leave you to your rants.

Yawn.

Perhaps more citizens will come out to protest in support of the katoey that didn't get into CM2 disco than to protest against the junta's destruction of democracy in Thailand. Most Thais realize how futile it is to protest against the ruthlessness of the military. At least they felt comfortable enjoying large protests in the Thaksin era. That was then, this is now. Don't expect much of a protest, it's not going to come...

gee it's really great that such low numbers are protesting , guess there's no opposition ,

opps , whats this ........................

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30038247

Some 1,000 Assembly of the Poor (AOP) members were Tuesday prevented by military and local officials from boarding buses from their home provinces to stage a demonstration in Bangkok in a bid to urge Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to solve their problems.

bonus points for the first to say , it was only a thousand .

The caption beneath a Nation picture tells of another largely unreported demo. What is interesting is that the number mentioned makes it by far the biggest demo in the country since the coup.

Behind our boy :More than 30,000 Songkhla residents march to the provincial hall yesterday to give moral support to Privy Council president and home-town hero General Prem Tinsulanonda. The demonstrators condemned the People’s Television group for filing

Interesting developments this week include anti-PTV demos bigger than PTV demos. But the one not to understimate was Somsak's labelling of Matchima as the inheritor of TRT policies and his labelling Sanam Luang demonstrators as thugs. Considering Somsak controls one third of all TRT MPs this is a significant power play in the break up of TRT. We now have Matchima and Somkids gang significantly relocated away from TRT. Suwat and Phinij also seem to be there. This means what remains in TRT is less than half of the previous MPs. They also remain without effective leaders and just as worryingly for them currently without cash. The importance of the Matchima statement is in that they have many ex-MPs of the the TRT previous voters. These are the people who will win in elections as they are regular MPs from sevearl elections in rural areas. This hurts PTV big time. They consist mostly of a few Bangkok ex-MPs and failed candidates plus some academics and a few activisits linked to small groups. They do not control or represent the rural groups and are failing to attract people who do. This week has seen a big movement within the ex-TRT group towards the pragmatic side and a large weakening of the position of the confrontational side.

Interesting developments this week include anti-PTV demos bigger than PTV demos.

You dont really expect rallies against CNS to be as big as those against Thaksin do you??? It is all to fresh in the minds of many Thai's that military Junta have big guns, and use them. Only under a true democracy can you build momentum like Sonthi Lim did. Your in your own dream world if you believe that demonstrations now reflect the true feeling of a majority of Thai's............ keep on your mission hammered, but try to ask some real Thais how they feel instead of living in your irvory tower :o

Interesting developments this week include anti-PTV demos bigger than PTV demos.

You dont really expect rallies against CNS to be as big as those against Thaksin do you??? It is all to fresh in the minds of many Thai's that military Junta have big guns, and use them. Only under a true democracy can you build momentum like Sonthi Lim did. Your in your own dream world if you believe that demonstrations now reflect the true feeling of a majority of Thai's............ keep on your mission hammered, but try to ask some real Thais how they feel instead of living in your irvory tower :o

Done that actually. Always have done. Too right neither the Songkla demo or the PTV ones represent the true feelings of the majority of Thai people. The Songkhla one is in support of an aged local dignatory and the PTV one is in support of the aims of an ousted and increasingly disgraced leader. Most people want to move on, or at least the ones I talk to.

No need to be rude now. :D

Oh by the way I dont remember to date the military using their guns but I stand to be corrected.

People have to take into consideration that the self-imposed military junta has killed many protesters and everyday Thais in the past and Thai people know very well they will not hesitate to do so in the future.

gee it's really great that such low numbers are protesting , guess there's no opposition ,

opps , whats this ........................

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30038247

Some 1,000 Assembly of the Poor (AOP) members were Tuesday prevented by military and local officials from boarding buses from their home provinces to stage a demonstration in Bangkok in a bid to urge Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to solve their problems.

bonus points for the first to say , it was only a thousand .

may I emphasise that this is breaking news on Sunday ( to day ) ,

whilst it occurred last Tuesday .........................

:o

Thousands of Thais protest against coup

(AFP)

1 July 2007

BANGKOK - More than 10,000 anti-coup protesters, organised by allies of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, marched through central Bangkok on Sunday to demand that the junta step down, police said

2007 Khaleej Times

again local media zip ................

The Nation has a picture online actually. Another low angle pic that makes number estimation hard but subjectively it looks smaller than previous ones. In fairness the only reporting of the Songkhla anti-PTV demo was a similar picture and this was supposed to be the biggest demo since the coup. Maybe the Nation and other media are playing down all demos right now. A quick search of google news also finds most international reports of thailand's demonstrations are of previous rallies. It is very easy to drop out of the news cycle. Demonstrations usually need to be either violent, violently opposed, showing signs of increasing numbers, huge numbers or riotous to remain newsworthy over time. Thailands current ones dont meet these criteria although I would normally expect at least a page 5 mention of them from local media. They are probably getting ther international coverage I would expect - a minor filed agency report or two found by interent search.

The fight will now no doubt move on to the charter referendum, which must remain in the balance more because of the state religion controversy than any of the politcal reasons we are told of. Street demonstrations will be less of a part of this next little engagement imho

Thousands of Thais protest against coup

(AFP)

1 July 2007

BANGKOK - More than 10,000 anti-coup protesters, organised by allies of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, marched through central Bangkok on Sunday to demand that the junta step down, police said

2007 Khaleej Times

again local media zip ................

Look at the picture on the front page of today's the Nation website (they were marching to Gen. Prem's house.)

"More than 10,000" <--- :o:D :D

Edited by ThaiGoon

Look at the picture on the front page of today's the Nation website (they were marching to Gen. Prem's house.)

What the picture doesn't show is that this was only a part of the demonstrators who have briefly split from the main demonstration. At that particular time the larger group was still in font of the UN building. They have met up a bit later again at Thewet, one bridge further towards the river.

Yes, it was about 10 000 people, according to police, marginally smaller than last weekend's march, which was numbered at about 13 000 protesters. There was no violence.

There is a huge difference between what is presently reported, especially in the English language media in Thailand, and reality. And for international media events in Thailand are not exactly front page news. Even the escalating situation in the South is hardly ever reported about.

What the picture doesn't show is that this was only a part of the demonstrators who have briefly split from the main demonstration. At that particular time the larger group was still in font of the UN building. They have met up a bit later again at Thewet, one bridge further towards the river.

Yes, it was about 10 000 people, according to police, marginally smaller than last weekend's march, which was numbered at about 13 000 protesters. There was no violence.

There is a huge difference between what is presently reported, especially in the English language media in Thailand, and reality. And for international media events in Thailand are not exactly front page news. Even the escalating situation in the South is hardly ever reported about.

You were at the rally? I thought you stationed in Pattani or something... :D

post 531 anybody ???

Wow, that would really have increased the number of protesters by almost 10 percent (assuming that there were "more than 10,000" protesters yesterday)!!! It would have been huge! Wow.... :D It would have been such a huge sucess after having staged the daily protest for almost a month now!! It would have meant that they were picking up something like 30 more people every day!! It would really have showed the world that people were joining the protest in mass (just like the possibily of 60-day delay in general election should have deserved "Thailand will become Burma" headline in international media!!!! ;-) ) Wow!!!

:o