New Dictionary Of Modern Thai

sabaijai

New dictionary of modern Thai

SIRIKUL BUNNAG

The Royal Institute plans to release the first-ever Thai language dictionary for teens with wild entries including Chiew Chiew, Dek Waent and Ab Baew.

The dictionary will come out at the end of the year.

From now on, people's language will be monitored constantly, with a new edition of the New Words Dictionary to be rolled out every year or two, she said, adding that there would 3,000 copies of the first edition.

The new words will be split into three groups. Half will be words which already exist in the Rajapundit dictionary but have been given new meanings, such as Kam Taek (very hilarious) and Mao Plin (very drunk).

One in three will be new slang words, such as Chiew Chiew (cool), Dek Waent (driver of modified, racing motorcycle) and Ab Baew (making an innocent face).

The rest will reflect changes in society, economics, politics and technology, such as Araya Kadkuen (civil disobedience).

cont'd at BKK Post recent editions

Excellent news, and long overdue I think.

The problem with slang dictionaries is of course they will be out of date almost as soon as they are printed. Still, if updated yearly, holds promise of becoming an excellent tool for researchers and a nice reference work for us language learners who want to be in the know.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread as I've recently bought this book. I think it's a good thing that the Royal Institute has released such a book, but I feel it could definitely be a bit more comprehensive. Also if you can speak English I'd say you already know a large number of the words in here as a large amount of the words are English borrowings. Lots of the words are I feel so obvious that I can't imagine anyone not knowing them มาม่า for example.

Still for 100 Baht it's well worth it and the fact that it's labelled book one suggests that it may very well be improved upon in the future.

Anyone else bought this yet?

I bought it from a bookshop in Central Ladphrao called Prae Pittaya แพร่พิทยา , the ISBN is 978-974-412-139-4 it's called พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม๑ according to my copy there have been 10000 of them made.

Edited by withnail