Thailand Road Carnage: Three teens on a bike swerve to miss turning pick-up - 14 year old dead

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on a tragic accident in Phayao in the north of the country.

Thailand's roads are some of the deadliest in the world - especially for motorcyclists that make up 80% of the annual 25,000 death toll.

Muang Phayao police attended the scene in this one on  the Mae Tam to Mae Jai road. 

Yortthol, 44, had been turning to go into his home but didn't notice three teens coming up behind him.

Thanawat,17, the rider of the Honda, Deuanyat, 15, and Pongpharin, 14, both riding pillion slammed into the back of a parked pick-up.

The youngest died in Phayao Hospital while the other two were injured. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-10

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Jerno said:

Didn't notice three teens coming up behind him...

Implying he should have noticed and what....yield backwards to them?  Jump out of his truck waving them down to notice him turning?  RIP to the teen, but this seems like totally the bike driver's fault.

I suppose on it depends....how long was he stationary for, maybe it was a millisecond and how quickly did he decelerate? You are only hearing one version of events.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerno said:

Implying he should have noticed and what....yield backwards to them?  Jump out of his truck waving them down to notice him turning?  RIP to the teen, but this seems like totally the bike driver's fault.

I guess they were coming up on the inside and probably ignored his left-turn signal. If he made one. I really don't understand why overtaking on the inside (left) is allowed here. Or maybe it isn't but of course that makes no difference at all. Always unnerved me when I experienced it in the US too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jerno said:

The teens in our village driving there "suped" up Honda Waves, recklessly speeding.  Most take off there side mirrors to be "Cool".

You can imagine going 90-100 Kilometers an hour on some little rural road.  Just takes a stray dog or Buffalo and there's a crash!

Terrible drivers!

At that age these boys think there invinsible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jerno said:

We don't know much do we? For example, the article doesn't mention if he had a turning light on. Or, at what speed he was driving. Or, if he was tested for alcohol.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

We don't know much do we? For example, the article doesn't mention if he had a turning light on. Or, at what speed he was driving. Or, if he was tested for alcohol.

Agreed....  the report is void of information.... 

However, we can all throw out a guess and in the balance of probability be closer to being correct that incorrect. 

Pickup driver didn’t indicate. 

Kids riding too fast. 

Kids not wearing helmets.

All probably under the influence.

Neither held licences.

Neither vehicles insured.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly, news such as this on a daily basis is of no surprise at all.

I was with you all the way, until you used the word 'sadly'. I am not sad at all about the antics of Thai motorcyclists when it ends in their totally avoidable death. I just shake my head at the idiocy of it all and move on. 

Any loss of life is sad.....  even more so when its so avoidable. 

I’m more numb to it here because it seems so common......  

An acquaintance in the US just lost his wife to a ‘double’ hit and run....   tragedy strikes everywhere, that was a lot more shocking than the news I read here - because here such news is almost expected in a daily basis.....  As you say...'I just shake my head at the idiocy of it all and move on’........  Thats all we can do, but the frequent loss of life should not be so normalised as it is in Thailand. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

I don't know . . .    I've had vehicles roar past me (so as not to have to take their foot off the gas pedal even for a second) only to slam on the brake in order to make that left turn and I would have slammed into their rear and everyone would have said it was my fault.  

The same mentality in action when pulling out in front of you, when there's nothing behind you for 5 kms. Can't wait or don't think...or both.

• Like 1

Three people on a motorcycle, illegal. If these young people

could not drive properly there is no reason why this accident happened 

except carelessness of the driver of the motorcycle. If he died or one of the passengers died

the motorcycle driver should be held accountable for the death. End of news story.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, MrJ2U said:

The teens in our village driving there "suped" up Honda Waves, recklessly speeding.  Most take off there side mirrors to be "Cool".

You can imagine going 90-100 Kilometers an hour on some little rural road.  Just takes a stray dog or Buffalo and there's a crash!

Terrible drivers!

At that age these boys think there invinsible.

As I did with my other mates with motorbikes, we all thought we were invincible. Lost a couple on the way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 4:10 PM, Almer said:

How many times in a day do you when indicating left have to avoid a bike passing on your nearside.

How many times today have you, whilst riding a motorcycle, had a car overtake you and then within say 50 metres pull over or turn left?

I commute 30km 4 times a week by motorcycle, it happens at least once on most journeys...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

How many times today have you, whilst riding a motorcycle, had a car overtake you and then within say 50 metres pull over or turn left?

I commute 30km 4 times a week by motorcycle, it happens at least once on most journeys...

How many times has  a Thai motorcyclist pull out without looking to the right and the car driver has to brake because another bike or car are coming. I live in the north and most of our roads are narrow.