Online Thai Language Reading & Writing Class?

Chris.B

I am looking for a Thai language online reading and writing class. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am out in the sticks upcountry, so an online class, seeing and talking to other foreigners, is preferential to private lessons. 

Edited by Chris.B

As no-one seems to have any direct recommendations I thought I'd mention that a friend of mine in Chiang Mai has been studying with TSL and reckons they're pretty good. They do online classes. A few years ago I did a class at AUA and that was just OK (don't think they do online classes anyway). I think the individual teacher you get makes a massive difference.

I also think that if you learn to read in a group like that you'll get exposed to a lot of dodgy pronunciation. After the first couple of weeks there will probably be a lot of reading out loud, which is as much pronunciation practice as anything else. You don't really want to be picking up your pronunciation from other learners, but the setup makes this hard to avoid. Probably more fun than a 1-1 though.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

You don't really want to be picking up your pronunciation from other learners, but the setup makes this hard to avoid. Probably more fun than a 1-1 though.

Yes, that is what I thought, more fun than a one to one. I am upcountry so meeting other foreigners is a plus.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, Chris.B said:

Yes, that is what I thought, more fun than a one to one. I am upcountry so meeting other foreigners is a plus.

I suggest Learn Thai with Mod, she speaks pretty good English and teach practical Thai unlike most Thai language schools. 

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/online-group-lessons/

Once you have been to both classes, you can definitely see the difference in the level of English proficiency of Mod versus the other Thai language teachers in Thailand.

Another person who can explain well is Duke language school of Bangkok. Not sure whether he has any online classes.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:22 PM, Badger18 said:

As no-one seems to have any direct recommendations I thought I'd mention that a friend of mine in Chiang Mai has been studying with TSL and reckons they're pretty good. They do online classes.

TSL use the same curriculum as YMCA Chiang Mai.

I do not recommend that school at all for following reasons:

1. The material taught is too formal and not practical in real life

2. Their teachers just can't teach properly. There was even a male teacher there who flirts with his male students during class-time.

3. Their teachers' English is not good enough to translate the Thai sentences in the books. Most of the time, they used the translated English words in the books which has a lot of errors.  However, not all the sentences have translation in the books.

Believe me, I went through both YMCA and TSL and it was a waste of my money.

If you are just looking for beginner level Thai (level 1 to 2) like numbers, how to order food, then they are fine.

But if you want to go higher up, then look elsewhere as in my previous post.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/15/2022 at 11:37 PM, EricTh said:

I suggest Learn Thai with Mod, she speaks pretty good English and teach practical Thai unlike most Thai language schools. 

It's an online Reading and Writing class I am looking for. I don't think they are running any.

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

It's an online Reading and Writing class I am looking for. I don't think they are running any.

They have a reading and writing online group course too but it's recommended to know basic spoken Thai first.

This is via zoom class

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/reading-and-writing-thai-course/

What will you gain from this course?

From our teaching experience, students take about 45-60 hours to master Thai reading. We design our reading and writing group course in stages. There are 5 stages and each stage is 15 hours

✅ Stage 1: Be able to read and write Thai letters with all vowels.

✅ Stage 2: Be able to read Thai words with tone marks and final consonants.

✅ Stage 3: Be able to read and understand sentences.

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

They have a reading and writing online group course too but it's recommended to know basic spoken Thai first.

I have basic spoken Thai.

There are no dates of classes for this course so I assume it is not running.

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I have basic spoken Thai.

There are no dates of classes for this course so I assume it is not running.

You might want to email them for the dates. The email address is in the website.

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

If they were running the classes, they would have published the dates on their website/Facebook page.

I think it's because they are waiting for more students to register, it's irregular. You should email them instead of guessing.

Sorry if I'm a little off topic but i think reading and writing Thai may be a little beyond me, I know loads of Thai words and Phrases and can usually pick up what the Mrs and another Thai person are speaking about but if i ask a question in Thai i am Bug%ered with the reply in Thai, any help very welcome 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

Sorry if I'm a little off topic but i think reading and writing Thai may be a little beyond me, I know loads of Thai words and Phrases and can usually pick up what the Mrs and another Thai person are speaking about but if i ask a question in Thai i am Bug%ered with the reply in Thai, any help very welcome 

Well, take on lessons in Thai language then.

11 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Thai person are speaking about but if i ask a question in Thai i am Bug%ered with the reply in Thai, any help very welcome 

If you can ask a question but then not understand the reply in Thai, maybe you need to work specifically on your listening skills. There have been threads here related to that and plenty of material on You Tube and other sources. Hours and hours of listening, beginning at your appropriate level, will tune your ears and brain to the language.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1