20 million baht yacht catches fire in Sattahip this morning, cause under investigation

snoop1130

1641879016312.jpg

A luxury yacht caught fire at a marina in Sattahip district this morning (January 11th). The cost of damages is estimated at about 20 million baht according to marina officials.

The Na Jomtien Police were notified of the incident at 11:00 A.M. at a marina in the Na Jomtien sub-district in the Sattahip district.

The Na Jomtien Police and firefighters from the Na Jomtien Municipality arrived at the scene with four fire engines to find the yacht was heavily blaze with black smoke.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/11/20-million-baht-yacht-catches-fire-in-sattahip-this-morning-cause-under-investigation/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, chakatee said:

pumps and hoses enough but lacking water

Water water everywhere and not enough to drink. The UK RN used to use Ox blood in drums with a Venturia stand pipe in the drum pumping sea water, that made a foam used to smother oil fires. but dare I say TIT.

The burnt boat is indeed a charter yacht, going on multiple 10s of thousands of baht per day excursions several times weekly, so I highly doubt it's insurance scam.  A mate counted 13 charter boats leaving at 2pm on a TUESDAY a couple weeks before Christmas, so the charter boats at Ocean Marina are hardly on difficult times.  The tour groups are mostly wealthy Bangkokian Thais, with the odd Chinese tour group every once in a while.  You would not know there's a pandemic on seeing the marina's charter traffic.

This particular boat, a twin engine turbo-diesel catamaran motor vessel, was actually quite an annoyance, at least for me.  The exhausts were basically un-muffled dry exhaust (not wet exhaust as most 'yachts' are), and the turbos made excessive noise spooling up and down as the Captain aggressively revved the engines in typical Thai "look at all the noise I can make" style while docking.   The injectors were likely very fouled, or were running extremely rich for 'more performance,' as the boat spewed massive clouds of black smoke while making maneuvers.

I am sorry for the owner's loss, but will not miss the noise and annoyance (and black soot stuck to my own boat's hull) from this charter boat.  Scuttlebutt around the marina says that the owner recently lost another boat to sinking not long before buying this one, so he's on a run of bad luck for sure.

There is in fact firefighting equipment at the marina, this is the largest marina in all of Southeast Asia and is very professionally run;  it is leaps and bounds nicer than most of the marinas where I come from in Northeast of the USA.  However, I don't care what kind of equipment you have, fighting this would have been VERY difficult as it was a massive fire and all neighboring boats fears spreading, which they successfully stopped.  They also saved the hulk from burning to the waterline and sinking right at the dock.

Images from my girlfriend in our condo overlooking marina.

338889.jpg

338881.jpg

• Like 2