Spas and transmission of virus

bradiston

I was wondering, not for a definitive answer, but from casual observance, whether the temperatures in a sauna or steam room are enough to destroy the SARS-COV-2 virus. I spend a lot of time in both, and hot and cold plunge pools. I haven't caught it after 12 months or so, though they were closed for much of that period, when you might think a spa would be an ideal place to do so. Wet surfaces, close contact, enclosed spaces, water vapour - it's most people's idea of hell if trying to avoid the little critters. But, seems they're not very partial to it. I've not seen a spa listed as a hotspot ever, where bars often are.  Seems odd somehow. What are other people's experiences?

14 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have not been in a Sauna in more than 2 years.

In 2020 when I was in Japan the saunas were all closed in Hot springs and bath houses.

Saunas in every hotel I stay in are closed, They must be dangerous, like air hand dryers.

What if your the only one in the Sauna?  I go to a Hotel Gym in CNX almost everyday and use the Sauna.  I have been the only one in the Sauna for the 20 minutes that I use it.  I just took another PCR test and it was Not Detected.  Every ATK test I took has been Negative.  A Sauna like most places can be risky if it is crowded.  I took a Thai Smile flight last night and it was about 95% full.  There were people to my left, right and front.  This flight was probably more risky than my time in the Sauna. Thankfully the flight was only 60 minutes. Also, no food or drinks were served. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have not been in a Sauna in more than 2 years.

In 2020 when I was in Japan the saunas were all closed in Hot springs and bath houses.

Saunas in every hotel I stay in are closed, They must be dangerous, like air hand dryers.

They were closed for several months when the general lockdown and curfew was in force, but prior to that and since, they have been open. I've even met off duty cops in one (not as a date, you understand).

They're open here in Pattaya and have been for several months. Hotels can't be arsed with the maintenance etc so lock them up. But the public ones are doing great business. Many ethnicities/nationalities are used to having them back home, Finns, Norwegians, Swedes, Russians (who are amongst the friendliest IMHO) etc.

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

What if your the only one in the Sauna?  I go to a Hotel Gym in CNX almost everyday and use the Sauna.  I have been the only one in the Sauna for the 20 minutes that I use it.  I just took another PCR test and it was Not Detected.  Every ATK test I took has been Negative.  A Sauna like most places can be risky if it is crowded.  I took a Thai Smile flight last night and it was about 95% full.  There were people to my left, right and front.  This flight was probably more risky than my time in the Sauna. Thankfully the flight was only 60 minutes. Also, no food or drinks were served. 

Yes, of course, the conditions could have a major bearing. But the spa I use is always well attended, and it's not unusual to have 5 or 6 people in the sauna at one time. It seems crazy, but I've only heard of one infection, and that was a staff member who never went near it.