AIS package/SIM expiry

Polar Bear

I bought an AIS Marathon SIM through Lazada when I arrived, ~1,500 THB for a year. That was all fine, but I am getting close to the expiry now and I don't understand what happens next. Is it right that these things can't be renewed and the SIM card itself will expire!? Ideally, I'd like to just renew this package for another year, or buy another one-year package, but I am not sure either of them are options. If I buy a new SIM, presumably my number would change, which would be such a hassle. Am I missing something obvious?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I bought an AIS Marathon SIM through Lazada when I arrived, ~1,500 THB for a year. That was all fine, but I am getting close to the expiry now and I don't understand what happens next. Is it right that these things can't be renewed and the SIM card itself will expire!? Ideally, I'd like to just renew this package for another year, or buy another one-year package, but I am not sure either of them are options. If I buy a new SIM, presumably my number would change, which would be such a hassle. Am I missing something obvious?

AFAIK these 1 year "unlimited data" promotions are not renewable as such. The package requires you to have a new number. I use DTAC's 1 year unlimited data packages and each year I buy a new number and throw the old one away. I (like most people) have a dual sim phone, where sim1 is my permanent phone number and sim 2 is my "throwaway" number which changes every year with the new 1 year sim package.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You buy a new SIM and keep the old one in your second SIM socket.

That way people can still call your old number.

But he won't be able to call. I think part of the "hassle" OP is referring to is being able to call someone who has his old number already, and be recognized.

OP, there are AIS shops in every shopping mall, just ask. I believe that, if you can't extend your current SIM, you should be able to buy a new SIM and transfer the number. At least this was possible years ago.

I already use my dual SIM for my overseas number, I need access to that, so I can't run 2 Thai SIMs at the same time. I did ask in an AIS shop before I posted, but I thought I wasn't explaining my question clearly, but I see now that I did and they really were telling me to buy a new SIM. I will go back and try again. Maybe there are other options, at least I know how the system works now.

Thanks for all the info.

I was able to renew my True Max Speed 1 yr sim. They actually sent me a sms 3 weeks before it was to expire, to extend 1 yr, everything the same, but 200 baht more. I was skeptical so went to the True office, and they did it for me and I paid them cash....same number.

Edited by trevor67
punctuation

On 1/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, Polar Bear said:

Yes; just call them on 1175 and ask them to extend it. They can extend the data pack for 150 baht per month; you stay on the same number.

Truemove H offer the same thing; I know that independent agents can extend the one year SIM packs.

Truemove H extension possibilities: 

4 Mbps: 150 baht per month

4 Mbps + free calls to all networks: 165 baht per month

10 Mbps: 200 per month

10 Mbps  + free calls to all networks, 220 baht per month

On 1/14/2022 at 8:00 AM, BritManToo said:

You buy a new SIM and keep the old one in your second SIM socket.

That way people can still call your old number.

but you will have to keep topping it up with small amounts to extend it's validity.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:24 AM, trevor67 said:

I was able to renew my True Max Speed 1 yr sim. They actually sent me a sms 3 weeks before it was to expire, to extend 1 yr, everything the same, but 200 baht more. I was skeptical so went to the True office, and they did it for me and I paid them cash....same number.

Max Speed: 60 GB per month with free calls to all networks product; normal price 1690 baht. Usually discounted on Shopee/Lazada.

So when you say 200 baht more, I am guessing you mean from the price you paid on Lazada or similar and in fact you paid their normal price of 1690 baht this time.