Historical Massacres Of The 70s - 77 People Killed And Many Hundreds Wounded!

AlexLah

Hi all,

Just seen the TV footage of the 1972/3 TV shots of the student protest where the army and police came in.

Shocking!

Army or police firing RPG at the building and shooting at people.

Macyhine guns fired by police at people without any arms.

Dead bodies being mutilated by other Thai"s and burned.

Go to your local VCD seller and ask for this video if you interested.

Gives you another look on Thailand.

Alex

Hi all,

Just seen the TV footage of the 1972/3 TV shots of the student protest where the army and police came in.

Shocking!

Alex

whats the title of the video

Go to your VCD shop and ask for this:

OK I tried to provide a picture of the CD but for some strange reason I cannot upload a picture of it.

I guess Thai censorship is involved.

post-21826-1181408678_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Shocking!

Alex

Interesting to notice that after 900 comments at thaivisa forums, you suddenely, after watching a documentary realized that Thailand has a history.

Some of the documentary you may have watched sems to have introduced the incidents of Oct. 1976, too.

In fact, Alex, there are plenty of commenteers here at TV including some of those who have moderating powers, who have no idea about Thailand....at all.

Edited by stevesuphan

Hi all,

Shocking!

Alex

Sorry, I haven’t read the whole thread, but seems to me your a little ignorant about Thai history?

I'll look for that. I've seen some books with pics of the events of that time. I think the two big 70's massacres were in 1973 and 1976. There must be a few posters here who were here back then.

I'd like to get a link to the video of some of what happened in Southern Thailand in recent years. There's some shocking stuff one of the big incidents; I think the Tak bai incident. I caught it on a cable channel I get at my complex(could have been one controlled by ASTV?) about two weeks before the Coup. When I saw it, it burned me up. The gov't forces had dozens of people on the ground. Some of them were kicking the detainees in their heads. Some of the guys lying on the ground were covered in blood. I'd really like to get a copy of that. The government probably has banned the airing of any of this video as it only makes people hate the gov't. If anyone has links to this video please post the link here.

The army has learned a lot in the intervening years......now instead of shooting protestors in the open where it can be documented with video coverage they suffocate them in the privacy of a prison van where noone will see!!!!

The army might be repressive but they are not stupid.

Edited by chownah

I wonder if there is any footage of the Thai Army committing atrocities against the Khmer who were fleeing both the Khmer Rouge regime and the Viet Namese? Not to mention the little documented massacre of thousands of civilians they allegedly committed at Preah Vihear.

Imagine, surviving through the era of the Khmer Rouge only to be raped and killed by the Thai military!

I know a Indian-Chinese guy here in Singapore - member of all the right clubs ie Tanglin, Cricket Club etc

He was a Singapore National Serviceman during the time of the boat people in the navy.

Very wealthy guy - does business all over the region employing rthousands in his factories and yards.

He will tell you he will never do business with a Thai - hates them for what he saw them doing to the boat people. After his boat had just fed and watered them the thai fisherment putting a line on the drag these people to an island to kill, rape and rob - all looked upon byt the Thai navy.

The scum of Asia he calls them.

Jon Swain in his book "River of Time" mentions it and about young girls raped to death.

Land of Smiles - !

google , Black May Thailand .

It wasn't Black May or 73 as the OP states.

Hok Tulaa (October 6 1976) at Thammasat

JR Texas: Even put some of the students in the trees......put, meaning, with a rope around their necks (the Thammasat University incident).

There was one more "event." In 1999? History tends to repeat itself, probably because we fail to learn from history.

Homo sapiens sapiens (maybe we should leave off the sapiens part)

That's hardly a secret. This sort of events during several coups have been well-documented.

No secret but what do the Thai school history books tell of it?

Its bloody hidden or glossed over.

Many questions about that episode like who ley him back and why was he ordained where he was and by who.

Of course we can not mention that here but no secret right ;-)

Jon Swain in his book "River of Time" mentions it and about young girls raped to death.

Interesting post and thanks for the recommendation. I will seek that book out.

Jon Swain was the Times reporter captured by the Kmher Rouge - Julian Sands played him in "The Killing Fields" - brilliant book

Most Asia Books have it in their SE Asia sections

His French-Viet gf has been mentioned in other books about that period - she must have been something. Some great anecdotes in that book - he got back to PP on a flight with a crazy American from Bangkok who flew in to rescue his Kmher GF - last flight in before PP fell to the KR

Edited by Prakanong

Can anyone advise books (english language) to read on some of the violence and miltary / civillian clashes of the 1970's? I have not seen very much information regarding these events anywhere.

The most comprehensive book on the back ground of this i know of is Katherine E. Bowie's "Rituals of National Loyalty", a brilliant anthropological study on the village scout movement.

Sorry, it took me to 1992 instead of 1972.

1992 was a similar event.................

I pray that it will not happen again in the coming week. :o

Sorry, it took me to 1992 instead of 1972.

1992 was a similar event.................

I pray that it will not happen again in the coming week. :o

I don't think it will.

In '92 at least one of the main reasons for the violence was complete lack of riot gear by the army. They have now riot gear and training.

It wasn't Black May or 73 as the OP states.

Hok Tulaa (October 6 1976) at Thammasat

Actually you are incorrect, there was a student uprising 14 October 1973 that led to the downfall of Thanom Kittikachorn's government. google: 14 October 1973 uprising

Field Marshall Thanom Kittikachon, the Prime Minister, Field Marshall Praphat, the Police Chief and Colonel Narong, Commander 11 Infantry Regiment. Narong, Thanom's son was married to the daughter of Praphat.

Thanom had taken power from Field Marshall Sarit in 1963. In 1971, Thanom dissolved parliament and imposed one-man rule. The decade of his rule in the 1960's saw an escalation in Thai involvement in the Vietnam War. The growing US military presence in Thailand and the deployment of Thai forces in Vietnam brought on political, economic and social costs.

The early 70's was an age of growing political awareness in an increasingly educated middle-class and demands for economic progress from a society tired of a regime that had stayed too long. The plot thickened as rivalry between various military and political factions intensified.

It was against this backdrop that the tragedy on 14 October 1973 unfolded. The flames were stoked in June 1973 when student activists were expelled for anti-government activities. The confrontation reached a climax in October when 13 students led by student leader, Thirayuth Boonmi, were arrested.

Students from Thammasat University massed at the Democracy Monument demanding the release of their colleagues. Workers and the general population who were equally disgruntled with Thanom rallied in support.

Estimates of number of demonstrators exceeded 200,000, the biggest public demonstration in Thai history.

Things came to a head when the student leaders who were released were rearrested. The die was cast for a bloody confrontation on that fateful day on 14 October 1973.

When the army moved in, a massacre ensued. Students ran for their lives, many jumping for cover into nearby canals. Some sought refuge in the Royal Palace at Chitlada where the gates were opened for the fleeing students. There were tales of untold heroism as some fought back by pushing buses across roads to block tanks.

Recriminations continue to be traded between the people involved on 14 October 1973. Conspiracy theories abound; rivals out to dispose of Thanom by manipulating the students; a plot by army rivals who instigated the confrontation to discredit Thanom.

Whatever the causes, it didn't justify the brutal use of raw military might against unarmed civilians. It was to the credit of some military units that they refused to be involved in putting down the popular uprising.

In the aftermath of the bloodbath, Thanom, Praphat and Narong were asked to step down in the interest of national unity and leave the country.

Sanya Thammasak, the Rector of Thammasat University, was appointed as the civilian Prime Minister. A new constitution was drawn up and elections were scheduled for January 1975. There were hopes for a lasting and stable democracy.

In 1976, Thanom returned to Thailand to trigger another round of protests, an even greater tragedy and darker period in Thai political history. Again the events revolved around Thammasat University in the month of October.

Where are the protagonists in the 14 October 1973 revolution today? Thanom died in Thailand in 2004. Thirayuth Boonmi, the student leader is a lecturer in Thammasat University and still an outspoken critic on national issues.

The 14 October 1973 spirit lives on. The 14 October 1973 Memorial stands as a monument to the sacrifice by the brave young men and women who stood up and died for a cause.

source: ezine articles

The VCD cover shown above refers to the October 14, 1973 student uprising. This was the big one that tied up parts of BKK and resulted in a lot of casualties. The students were protesting against the blatantly corrupt government of Thanom Kittikachorn, who ruled in a troika made up of himself, Prapas Jarusathien and Thanom's son, Narong. These men were, as so often is the way, goaded on by their domineering womenfolk.

I'd left Thailand in 73 to return to a neighbouring country, so observed from a distance, but in 72 no Thai colleagues in my provincial location would acknowledge to a farang that there was anything wrong with the government at all. They all changed their tune after October 73.

Matters were not resolved after October 14 and there was another nasty suppression in 76 and again in 92.

Many students left BKK after 76 and joined the Communist rebels in the border districts. After a while they were amnestied and returned. I think Chaturon Jaisaeng, the current TRT leader was one of them.

Hi all,

Shocking!

Alex

Interesting to notice that after 900 comments at thaivisa forums, you suddenely, after watching a documentary realized that Thailand has a history.

Some of the documentary you may have watched sems to have introduced the incidents of Oct. 1976, too.

In fact, Alex, there are plenty of commenteers here at TV including some of those who have moderating powers, who have no idea about Thailand....at all.

:D

Hi all,

Shocking!

Alex

Sorry, I haven’t read the whole thread, but seems to me your a little ignorant about Thai history?

Thank you to above repliers, I guess you belong to the 'Know it all group'?

Anyway the reason I posted this is because of the recent demonstrations against the Junta and where violance appeared.

To you, yes I knew about this history but reading or seeing this gives a different feel.

You know what I mean after seeing this video.

So do not bash me about Thai history and please welcome the fact that I let you know that there is footage available for those interested.

Alex :o