Mask while driving rule enforcement

McTavish

I recall some time last year a rule was talked about, mainly for Bangkok AFAIK, that everyone must wear a mask when out in public (fair enough) but seemed to extend to private car driver and pax.  Now I can fully appreciate taxi's and buses requiring masks, but did this rule apply to personal vehicles, say husband & wife driving with all windows up?

If so, was it gazetted?  And does it apply in Ubon Ratchathani and Yasothon provinces?

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The police are lazy... it doesn’t really matter much..  

They’re not stopping anyone in a car without a mask.....  or at least over the past year or so they’ve not shown the blindest bit of notice when we (family) are out in our car without a mask. 

Same in the North but I had heard different of deepest darkest Isaan, especially Ubon.

9 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Same in the North but I had heard different of deepest darkest Isaan, especially Ubon.

It's the "deepest, darkest" window tints which prevents enforcement of such a rule. You can't see most car occupants in most cars from the outside, and if they were flagged down, they'd quickly put them on.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McTavish said:

I was sitting in the car together with my wife and we went through a Checkpoint recently. I had the Mask on, but it was pulled down.

The police as usual was only interested if our Car Tax hadn't expired, but then pointed at me to put the mask on correctly and after I did he waved us through.

This was in Buriram but YMMV

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I was sitting in the car together with my wife and we went through a Checkpoint recently. I had the Mask on, but it was pulled down.

The police as usual was only interested if our Car Tax hadn't expired, but then pointed at me to put the mask on correctly and after I did he waved us through.

Why would you have the mask pulled down when you are stopped at a checkpoint? You would have had plenty of time to slip it over your nose. That's the one time you would expect everyone to mask up.

Edited by JensenZ

15 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Why would you have the mask pulled down when you are stopped at a checkpoint? You would have had plenty of time to slip it over your nose. That's the one time you would expect everyone to mask up.

No idea but I hadn't and in whole honesty didn't think about it!

But that said, I went through a couple of checkpoints before and they never bothered about it!!  Maybe it was this time because it was after New Years! Just guessing though here.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MJCM said:

It is just out of respect when you get stopped to put the mask on. Do it every time we have been stopped. But when riding motorbike I just keep my full face helmet on, show them my license if they ask, and they are happy. It is just showing them respect when stopped, that you bother to put on a mask propely, nothing else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

It is just out of respect when you get stopped to put the mask on. Do it every time we have been stopped. But when riding motorbike I just keep my full face helmet on, show them my license if they ask, and they are happy. It is just showing them respect when stopped, that you bother to put on a mask propely, nothing else. 

Could be but in our case they ONLY check the Tax "Sticker" and wave you through. Wife almost always has my driving license on the ready, but we don't even have to roll down the window and they wave us through!.

In all the years that I have been living here in Buriram I only had to show my driving license maybe 2 or 3 times and all the other times it was them checking if we paid the Tax on the Car.

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Could be but in our case they ONLY check the Tax "Sticker" and wave you through. Wife almost always has my driving license on the ready, but we don't even have to roll down the window and they wave us through!.

In all the years that I have been living here in Buriram I only had to show my driving license maybe 2 or 3 times and all the other times it was them checking if we paid the Tax on the Car.

About 50k on the road during covid and yes most of the time they just wave is through, but also to ask where we come from and where we go. My point was about putting the mask on when stopped out of respect for the police, nothing else. 

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

More like they are more practical and intelligent than the policy makers.  I haven't heard of anyone being harrassed or fined for not wearing a mask, on the street or in their vehicle.

I wonder what "science" they are following by mandating wearing a mask in a car?

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder what "science" they are following by mandating wearing a mask in a car?

I can understand it if you are in the car with members of a different family or strangers, but I don't understand why I have to wear it when I am in the car with only my wife (bad breath ???? ????)

• Thanks 1