PM orders a re-evaluation of the balance between public health and economy as Omicron fears ease

webfact

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. I see thousands of businesses in Bangkok, Pattaya, CM, Phuket, Samui and Hua Hin, that are bankrupt. I see thousands of hotels that have closed, or never re-opened. I know people in real estate, who tell me you cannot sell or rent a condo to save your life right now. I hear millions are out of work. I see exploding homelessness. 

May I kindly ask what planet you are living on? Do you actually live in Thailand?

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Denial of reality in the face of mounting evidence is a sad thing to witness. 

Thailand's unemployment rate hit a more than 16-year high in the third quarter of 2021, as tougher coronavirus restrictions hit economic activity and jobs, the state planning agency said on Monday.

Thailand's definition of unemployed is quite narrow, including only those who do not work a single hour in a surveyed week. It excludes owners of businesses or farms, while analysts note it does not catch the significant unofficial economy.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/thai-q3-unemployment-16-yr-high-virus-curbs-squeeze-economy-2021-11-22/

It seems that you - as many here - see the things by eyes of a foreigner visiting (or residing in) tourists areas only. There is more of Thailand than the places you are listing. There is also different economy than the tourist economy. And the life and the people living there for generations are quite different.  

BTW, in the areas, others than the Thai famous usual, also the tourist business is blooming.  New resorts, homestays, mainly for local tourists who like to see something different - very often in mountains - and who do not like to mingle with the farang residents and tourists there.    

On 1/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, Sup3rfarang said:

Exactly!  I have yet to see the results of my second test but, assuming it's truly positive, it would mean that I didn't bring covid to Thailand. Thailand gave me covid! And how does Thailand compensate me for this?  Well, they stuck me up $1100 USD and jailed me in a dive hotel with <deleted> food for ten days!

So tell me, Mr. Prime Minister, just what effect do you imagine this treatment of tourists will have on Thai Tourism going forward? I'm curious to know.  Of course, if you actually gave a rat's ass about Tourism, tourists, Thais, or the economy you would rush down here, spring me from this Roach Motel, refund my money, and personally apologize to me on behalf of Thailand. 

Oh but I do like the the pretty language about how Omicron isn't so bad and maybe we should re-evaluate policy. Ya think?

The doctors in South Africa were saying that on Omicron Day One.

I'm starting to like your way of thinking.  Good comment.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:16 AM, roquefort said:

Like just about every other government in the world then.

Why single him out? Do you really think another bozo in power would have done anything different?

Yes, there is never a justification for picking from the bottom of the barrel, based entirely on cronyism. Never. Singling him out is a healthy thing to do. Resistance in the face of corrosive, corrupt, and incapable leadership is the least we can do, and not engaging in some sort of resistance is downright irresponsible.