PM orders a re-evaluation of the balance between public health and economy as Omicron fears ease

webfact

pm-orders-revaluation-of-health-measures.jpg

On Friday, Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, the government spokesman, announced that the Prime Minister has ordered a review of public health measures and a reevaluation of the balance between the economy and public health as the threat from the Omicron wave of COVID-19 appears to be receding. Foreign tourism-related business concerns are hoping it may mean a return to easier entry terms for foreign tourists as numbers are set to dip after ‘Test and Go’ was suspended from December 22nd last. The Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul and top public health officials have all made positive statements this week but are still emphasising the need for caution and vaccination efforts.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

There are signals that the doors to foreign tourism may be reopened again in the coming weeks if not then in the second quarter as the kingdom rolls out its foreign tourism platform for 2022 including a ฿300 levy to be collected via airfares on flights bringing holidaymakers to Thailand. The levy will provide automatic medical insurance to the value of ฿500,000 and a ฿1 million payout in the event of death.

There were strong indications this week that the foreign tourism industry may see some relief in the coming weeks with a review being ordered by the Prime Minister and a commitment to reevaluate the balance between the economy and public health as the threat from the Omicron virus strain of COVID-19 appears to be diminishing.

On Saturday, Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul indicated that the government may be readying to relax the country’s recently enhanced public health measures and defensive posture against the Omicron strain of COVID-19. 

He echoed comments by senior officials within his ministry at the beginning of the week that things have taken a turn for the better in the fight against the virus. He insisted, however, that a threat remains from Covid and emphasised the need for everyone living in Thailand to get vaccinated as a matter of urgency.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/01/15/pm-orders-revaluation-of-health-measures/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-01-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Ok what is the catch? Does this only apply to tourists entering under tourist visa or visa exemption, and those stay less than 30 days? Otherwise you (like those retirees or family visas) paid B300 each trip for a void health insurance charge?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The test after 5 or 6 days in Thailand makes no sense, since if the results are positive, it’s going to be from a community infection within Thailand.

Does it not take 10 days to show covid from inside Thailand..?...only asking...good to know.

Just now, asiasurfer said:

It's not just about tourists. As an expat wanting to visit my home country, it makes it really difficult to plan anything. I'm worried that I cannot come back to Thailand afterwards. So I just accepted to be "locked inside" for now... 

There are worst places to be locked in ???? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

"Fears ease..." Never had any fear in the first place ????

I was only worried about long term effects of Delta.  

Omicron is nothing more than a bloody joke.  Hospitalizations are not going up at all because of omicron unless you're an unvacced um, person.  

• Like 2

Just now, jacko45k said:

They appear to still be working on old information, Early Covid infection was claimed to have an incubation of 5-10 days, but omicron is far less. They have not adapted, 

It's 2-3 days for symptoms to appear.  Like a cold.  

Google it. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

I was only worried about long term effects of Delta.  

Omicron is nothing more than a bloody joke.  Hospitalizations are not going up at all because of omicron unless you're an unvacced um, person.  

If Thailand didn't have tens of millions of unvaccinateds, that wouldn't be a problem. 

2 hours ago, Capella said:

Omicron is already endemic, whatever the government says. 

However the regime is re-constructing, for the population, the word "endemic" as a word meaning "low threat", rather than a word meaning "permanent pool of infection" (its real meaning).

They are playing semantics with a population that has no idea that they are doing so...........so it'll work.

If the Thai population knew that Ebola is also an "endemic" disease, in West Africa, how lethal it is and what might happen if it becomes air transmissable, they might feel a little less "happy" about the conflation of "endemic" with "low threat".

But they don't know......and they won't know........so no problem with the Thai regimes continuous weaving of its web of deception, distraction, obfuscation, dissimulation and disingenuity.

No chance of them expressing rage at what, for generations, has been made of them.

Business as usual.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, any defense of these goons is for naught. Though I am sure they appreciate your support. Count yourself amongst the 2%, who are still in their camp. 

That's not what I said. Please re-read my post.

Saying that Thailand's response has been no better or worse than many other governments does not imply support for the "goons".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So, any defense of these goons is for naught. Though I am sure they appreciate your support. Count yourself amongst the 2%, who are still in their camp. 

Then they don't have a chance to win the next election... ????