Thailand's Roads: "Drunk" truck driver kicked down by angry relative after he kills 2, injures 2

webfact

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Only way to stop this utter insanity is a mandatory death sentence upon proven guilty

I wouldnt levy that only on truck drivers either

I agree…. however, i don’t know that i’d endorse capital punishment (ie death) as that, IMHO only, should really be reserved for the ultimate “worst-of-the-worst” convictions.. while these crimes are coming close.. I don’t know that I’d frame them as the worst-of-the-worst… but that’s just me and easy to say when the victims aren’t my family etc..

What I WOULD wholly support is *mandatory* periods of incarceration such as 20 years or more… and, in addition, the term of incarceration is not subject to Royal pardons, parole, or other forms of state-backed clemency.

I ALSO think that the scope of potential criminal accountability needs to be expanded.

For example, were there other parties, whose actions or inactions added to the commission of the crime?

This might be looking into the employer - as a corporate entity, as well as specific individuals….  did the employer or any specific employee  of the convicted driver know or should they have reasonably known that the person was drunk and therefore a safety risk?  If so, then I support an “accessory-to” type of charge being laid by the prosecutor.

The only way to address the drunk driving and road carnage is run an extensive media campaign on TV.

In the advertisement the RTP need to get tough on drink driving,  and announce life for drunk drivers who cause death.

The only way is two fold -  a media campaign and the RTP hitting hard at the same time.   imo

• Like 1

no mention then of the sheer suicidal stupidity of parking at nighttime, lighted or not, at the side of what seems a narrow fast heavy -trucked unlit country road ……thus placing their lives in the hands of other drivers…….the very opposite of the required defensive driving….and another tragic result of known poor driver training & practice here.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The problem is that, at this stage, the suggestion that he "appeared to be drunk" is just that, a suggestion that has not been shown to be factual.  

Could well have been in untreated shock. Lowered level of conscious awareness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I doubt that very much. I have been here a long time and have never see all these bodies you talk about

How much time do you spend riding motorcycles around out in the countryside? 
I’ve seen 6 dead bodies up close on the roads, in my time in Southeast Asia (which really hasn’t been that long at all). 2 in Thailand, and 4 in Vietnam. I saw one accident as it happened, where a car hit a bike with 3 people on it. One of those people appeared to be very dead, but I can’t say for sure. Another one I saw was where a guy on a bike was hit head on by a dump truck on the wrong side of the road. I was at the scene before the cops or ambulance, so he was laid out for everyone to see. Traffic just separated around the accident scene and kept moving.

None of these fatal accidents that I saw happened inside of cities, it was always out on the highway. 

Aside from deaths, I don’t think I can count the number of relatively light motorcycle crashes I’ve seen happen right in front of me, while I sat and drank a coffee at restaurant near an intersection.

All of the Thai, Viet, and Cambodian people I know have seen a dead person on the road at some point, and most of them have crashed a bike at some point in their lives as well.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

I’ve seen 6 dead bodies up close on the roads, in my time in Southeast Asia (which really hasn’t been that long at all). 2 in Thailand, and 4 in Vietnam. I saw one accident as it happened, where a car hit a bike with 3 people on it. One of those people appeared to be very dead, but I can’t say for sure. Another one I saw was where a guy on a bike was hit head on by a dump truck on the wrong side of the road. I was at the scene before the cops or ambulance, so he was laid out for everyone to see. Traffic just separated around the accident scene and kept moving.

None of these fatal accidents that I saw happened inside of cities, it was always out on the highway. 

Aside from deaths, I don’t think I can count the number of relatively light motorcycle crashes I’ve seen happen right in front of me, while I sat and drank a coffee at restaurant near an intersection.

All of the Thai, Viet, and Cambodian people I know have seen a dead person on the road at some point, and most of them have crashed a bike at some point in their lives as well.  

I admit I do not ride around the country on  motorbike and neither do most Thais so they probably don't see these amounts of accidents which brings me to my first comment and take DUI to the morgue to see the results of there actions

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm with Ryan754326 on this. I live on a long straight road and within 300 metres of my house there have been deaths and amputations, and someone in a long-term coma I don't know if he came out of. That is as well as several huge lorries, cars and pickups ending up in the road-side ditch, and one car that managed to sail through the top of a tree.

I was also nearly killed one night when two racing pickups came up behind me as I stood looking for someone down the road, with one who was on the wrong side of the road so close to me I could smell the heat of the engine as it went by. I've had so many close encounters, one while being in the fast lane of a dual carriageway and seeing someone who was probably too drunk to know it was a dual-carriageway coming straight at me, and seen so many bikes with no lights at night, that I no longer go out after dark. I really don't want to be on edge every moment I'm out. No fun in that. None at all.

That's exactly why I keep saying that simply being anywhere close to any road, track, trail, sidewalk, or footpath in this country can be a fatal mistake. Like you I don't go out at night unless necessary, on foot or in a car; definitely not on a motorcycle.

That said, what can one do except keep your head on a swivel and be ready to run, literally, for your life. The best defense is to always remember that one is at risk.

TIT.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

The only way to address the drunk driving and road carnage is run an extensive media campaign on TV.

In the advertisement the RTP need to get tough on drink driving,  and announce life for drunk drivers who cause death.

The only way is two fold -  a media campaign and the RTP hitting hard at the same time.   imo

you cant educate thai drivers ,impossible   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I'd say he was driving without his headlights on. At his unshod feet you'll see in the photo a green head torch on the road in front of him. And to the right of the picture frame you will see another green head torch. Maybe his co-driver?

8pm1.jpg

Surely if his h

21 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I'd say he was driving without his headlights on. At his unshod feet you'll see in the photo a green head torch on the road in front of him. And to the right of the picture frame you will see another green head torch. Maybe his co-driver?

8pm1.jpg

Surely if the headlights had been working, they would still be on? Or did he have the presence of mind to turn them off to save the battery, before he managed to scramble out of the cab leaving his shoes behind? I am wondering what caused  a massive truck like that to overturn on a level highway after swatting a pickup and destroying a motorcycle and two lives.

28 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I am wondering what caused  a massive truck like that to overturn on a level highway

Over loaded. The lorry has been modify to increase the load capacity.

Sugar cane harvesting in thailand Stock Photos and Images | agefotostock

Edited by IvorBiggun2

11 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

Precisely so. About once a week see stupidly ridden mopeds put on the deck or post - accident roadside ambulance / crowds.never stop but some of those riders are not getting up again for sure. friend sits on his main road gym patio sees one serious crash a day there on average with full range of stupid. Normally involves driving  “wrong side of road”. Several dead bodies there every month.stats also don’t lie. 25k Road DEAD here every year. 75% est. on small bikes……

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Image of pick up modified to carry rice near to where I live.

DSC00160.thumb.JPG.6e8e31fbefc40056c9e79722f055c244.JPG

Holy cow ! Disengages that no doubt for annual tax inspection like those damn “ sidecar” contraptions. Imagine incredulous Police reaction in UK or USA ! Drivers License & Vehicle Confiscated by Court for Five Years with Driver ReTest or Jail time…????????