Thai Step-daughter "sniff Kisses" New Pa

goodguy

When I am watching TV in the evening, my Thai Step-Daughter Sniff Kisses my Arms and Cheeks. Would that be normal behaviour from a Thai 9 year old towards a Farang Step-Dad?

Good Guy

What did you eat? Do you shower three times a day? Brush your teeth every day? :o

Without kidding, sniffing is 'in' in Thailand, they always sniff my son, but never me though... and he surely got his genes from me... Thais also seem to think that foreigners stink, I'm not sure if that plays a role too.

Dutchy

A westerner will smell different than a Thai as our diet is different and we tend to eat more meat, But no one around here showers 3 times a day,and if you live with out air con and sweat pretty regularly then you will not stink unless there is something wrong with you, If you do have a strong body odor and sweat a lot,then it is not bacteria on your skin,but something else. I saw something about that on TV the other day,and they had to operate on the guys glands someway, but didn't pay to much attention as no one around here has that problem. :o

Just like Koreans,they smell different,but then they eat a lot of kim chee and it does smell a little,especially made with a lot of fish.

Don't worry a thing good guy. I see my thai gf sniffing her 10 year old nephew and even me all the time. Seems like alternative kissing to me. Your step-daughter obviously adores you.

There is nothing wrong with it but as to whether anything wrong WILL happen is all about your brand of parenting, not cultural.

When I am watching TV in the evening, my Thai Step-Daughter Sniff Kisses my Arms and Cheeks. Would that be normal behaviour from a Thai 9 year old towards a Farang Step-Dad?

Good Guy

My opinion, it is normal and a good thing. Just shows that she loves you. Perhaps you are really who you are, a goodguy. :o

Good Guy

Congratulations, your a hit with the step daughter!!!

Sniffing someone in Thai culture is kind of a first step they take before kisses. It is my understanding that this is the appropriate step to take before any type of kissing happens. The saying for "Can I sniff you?" would be translated as "Hom dai mai?" Then if kissing was deemed appropriate, one would ask "Can I kiss you?" or "Joop dai mai?"

There is nothing unusual going on here my friend.

I did not really want to answer that question.

Because asking the question is wrong.

Very wrong.

What are YOU thinking?

Fatherhood is often confusing especially at the beginning and he is only asking for help. :o

Eyespan,

Here (where is here?), it is pretty late.

Fatherhood is not confusing to me.

I have 4 children.

And I never wonder what they can do and what I can do.

Sniffing, kissing, whatever, it does not matter.

They love me.

I love them.

And how we show it to each other is irrelevant.

I think,....

:o Yeah, I guess we all forget the time when we would appreciate a little help.

Never.

Nobody should think that.

Help is always, always appreciated.

Whoever needs help and whenever we/they need it.

Me, you, anybody.

Nobody is invicible,....

Rainman son,

My how you've AGED since lurking this forum. It's not doin gyou any good y'know! :D

i think its just the angle of the avatar that makes me look older. plus, maybe i shouldn't post a photo of mouth venting ...

:o

Well i know for sure "sniff kissing" is very normal. It is a form of kissing without the tongue and lips, to show that i do adore you and care for you. Especially as a kid, they don't know what lust is, so they would not use the lips, just their tip of the nose to sniff u good night. No it isnt because u smell. Its just another habit that the Thais have. Not even just the Thais, but Laotions are the same way.