Are any Schwab debit card users having problems taking out money from an ATM the last few days? Schwab and visa can't seem to find any problems on their end with my card. I've tried several ATM's I use regularly. Schwab says, "There is clearly some internal issue between what the ATM is reporting through to Visa and then what shows up on our Visa debit card system. The other decline code I'm seeing is stating an "Invalid security code." This is one I've never personally seen before. I'm not sure if Visa is restricting use of cards in Thailand. We have not been made aware of any information on this. I've personally been working with this debit card system 8 years and have never seen this code before."

Edited by ubonrthai

Which ATMs are you using?

Have you tried an AEON ATM?

Could be related to issues reported in other threads re: new Visa authorization procedures by Kasikorn using 3D-Secure.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245626-using-us-credit-card-with-lazada-kasikorn-issue/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246872-foreigner-credit-card-denials/

I've got to think this will get sorted at some point?

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Which ATMs are you using?

I've tried Bangkok Bank, SCB, & TMB. I'll go try Aeon. I was wondering if it had something to do with the 3D-Secure because I've had the same issue with a Capital One card that others are having on Lazada.

I asked if the 3D-Secure issue could be related and they said, "3D Secure is more for online purchasing. This should not affect you using it at the ATM. Having said that, the Visa system updated that on our end and what happens is if you purchase something online, Visa will ask you to provide them with a code (like an additional layer of security) that you would enter before the purchase can be finalized."

10 minutes ago, ubonrthai said:

I asked if the 3D-Secure issue could be related and they said, "3D Secure is more for online purchasing.

Yeah, but if Kasikorn took on all Visa verifications here, exclusively, then it's a matter of their 3D-Secure system talking to Global Visa card issuer's verification systems.

On an ATM WD, your PIN is verification (Card Present), so my gut - rumble rumble - is telling me that the systems aren't messaging properly? Just a guess.

With an online purchase that's a CNP transaction, Card Not Present - and may/should/could/must be verified, out of band with a PIN, likely one-time issued via an app or SMS.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

On an ATM WD, your PIN is verification (Card Present), so my gut - rumble rumble - is telling me that the systems aren't messaging properly? Just a guess.

The Bank of Ayutthaya ATM displayed a message that said it couldn’t contact my bank which may support your gut. All the others that failed just said to contact my issuing bank but Schwab is seeing at least some of these failed attempt on their visa system. 

I used my Schwab card in a Krungsri bank ATM yesterday along with another U.S. debit card....both worked fine to get the ATM to spit out the money requested....Bt30K for each card.   Then I went inside the Krungsir branch to do a Bt150K counter withdrawal/cash advance with another U.S. debit card and it worked fine also.