New Phone and Line Scam

Kinnock

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If you havnt sent , nor expecting a parcel I dont understand why the call needs to proceed any further.

If you have, then simply ask for the parcel number and cross check it on the tracking.If the dont match, end of call.

That wouldn't make for a "good" OP!

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A few days ago my gf received a call from the showroom that sold us our ( her ) car a year ago. Stating they would come to our house to do a “ quick service check “ on the car . The number wasn’t the usual number that we used for service etc so I told her to say no thanks.

I explained to her that 2 guys would turn up in matching t-shirts and a clipboard, ask for the blue book and car key and do a runner !!

She then called the showroom to inform them and they said it was them that had called !!

Didn’t see that coming ????

"...gf received a call from the showroom that sold us our ( her ) car a year ago. Stating they would come to our house to do a “quick service check“ on the car..."

Yeah, right, of course they did.   Since when do car dealers make cold calls and then send two techs to do off-premises "service checks" (what?), free of charge, on a car they sold over a year ago?   What would be in it for them?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...gf received a call from the showroom that sold us our ( her ) car a year ago. Stating they would come to our house to do a “quick service check“ on the car..."

Yeah, right, of course they did.   Since when do car dealers make cold calls and then send two techs to do off-premises "service checks" (what?), free of charge, on a car they sold over a year ago?   What would be in it for them?

Exactly why I told her to say “ no thanks “ but apparently they do, true story .

• Like 1

I have had two calls from this number 044 004 756.

Its a recorded message and when trying to return the call the message, 'number does not exist' is displayed.

I have no idea what it is as it is in Thai,  and difficult to understand. I have blocked it so hope I get nothing like it again. Scam or genuine I have no idea.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Just had a clever scam c

I have had a scam email from Thai Post that I needed to pay duty before I could have a parcel delivered. The link was to a credit card payment option.  Someone knew I had a package coming from the UK and the email address from the scammer wasn’t Thai post. I didn’t pay and the item arrived okay. 

• Like 1

Kinnock, whilst commendable and informative, did it not occur to you to pass the details both to DHL and the RTP? Maybe they have better resources to close the obvious scam down? ????

Edited by AjarnMartin
Punctuation

On 1/23/2022 at 5:04 PM, MJCM said:

Just make sure to ask for the "Reference Number/tracking number" before you hang up, which you then also can check  online

That'll stop them stone dead, after you ask for it and say you'll just check it on-line on your computer. Simple, really.

Mine was a different but common scam. I ordered a Trezor hardware wallet (a crypto security device) and discussed the order on a local forum (not this one).

Days later I got a private message from someone purporting to be from กรมสรรพากร and asking what cryptocurrencies I have. I already had an inkling of what he was up to so I played along and spun a dizzying tale of bitcoins enough to buy rais and rais of prime land. Eventually he told me that i needed to declare those coins and sent me an official-looking form via Line. Well, I say official-LOOKING because no genuine government form would ask for my bitcoin wallet's 12 recovery words.

I completed the form anywayz and sent it back. On the 12 words box, I put "mung conman ngo kwai go prison eat fishhead report number police tomorrow"

Never heard back.   

Edited by mvdf
  • Haha 2

On 1/23/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ralf001 said:

You answer calls from numbers not known ?

Nothing wrong in answering calls from unknown numbers, smart folks won't give away valuable, personal information to complete strangers without verifying who they are talking to.

I received an email from my bank saying I need to call their fraud department due to suspicious activity and they supplied the number in the email, when I called they wanted to verify me by asking me personal questions, I told them I wasn't comfortable giving out my personal info to the phone number they provided in the email, they said fair enough, and said I could call the number on the back of my debit card or the phone number listed on their website, and I did, problem solved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

My girlfriend had similar the other day. DHL called about package containing passport and ATM cards and something about China. But she also received a call from a "policeman" based in Chiang Rai (we are Chiang Mai). She said she was on the phone to him for over an hour. She was stupid enough to give her ID number and part of bank account number. She started to realise something not right so she told him she was going to Chiang Rai the next day to talk to him personally. He told her if she went there she would goto jail 20 years. She told him she was going to file police report in Chiang Mai that day at which time he hung up. Talking to her later she gave me his number and I called it and I got the message "number doesn't exist". She also gave me the 2 DHL numbers and when I tried them I got nothing. No dial tones, no messages, nothing.

She went to the police here and they said not to worry. She didn't even get a police report. I called her stupid many times that night. She realised she was but said she was scared. I said thats how they work. She also closed all her bank accounts and opened a new one next day.

I got a call from a Thai lady that morning and she said she could not speak english. I said I can't speak Thai and hung up. The strange thing is that the call originated from England.

Yes, they have a convincing approach, with lots of details about the package and the DHL office where it was supposed to have sent from.  It's a well thought out scam.

And on reflection, it would only work in certain countries where the police have a less than shining reputation.

6 hours ago, AjarnMartin said:

Kinnock, whilst commendable and informative, did it not occur to you to pass the details both to DHL and the RTP? Maybe they have better resources to close the obvious scam down? ????

I did contact DHL - they were already aware and have a warning on their web site.

I don't believe contacting the police would be productive. 

Edited by Kinnock

On 1/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, Kinnock said:

A person claiming to be from DHL then said a package had been sent by me to China and had been stopped by customs.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, Kinnock said:

Not sure how the scam works, unless they just wanted a copy of ID's and passports?  Or maybe further along they would want banking details?  But these scams are getting more convincing.

Not sure how you think this scam is even remotely convincing. 

You have not used DHL to send anything to China so it's obviously a scam. 

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Not sure how you think this scam is even remotely convincing. 

You have not used DHL to send anything to China so it's obviously a scam. 

I explained this earlier in the thread.  The story is that someone has used my identity to send illegal items (credit cards and passports) to China.

You are then connected to 'the police' to give evidence that it was not your package.

11 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I explained this earlier in the thread.  The story is that someone has used my identity to send illegal items (credit cards and passports) to China.

You are then connected to 'the police' to give evidence that it was not your package.

After I posted my response about my girlfriend getting similar scam I spoke to her this morning and it turns out exactly same.

"DHL" phoned her and went through the story about passport and ATM cards she had sent to china was illegal but no worry that she (the DHL caller) would help then gave her the Line contact to the Thai police, which obviously was not. I thought police had phoned her as well.

Sometimes getting the facts from the scamee is difficult.

I was once scammed for 0.1 BTC  online. A friend here helped me and found the scamming company was based in florida and he had a florida friend call the police and they requested I goto local police and get a police report and send to them and they would initiate an investigation there. I took my thai gf to the main police station in Chiang Mai. Trying to explain to her what to tell the police was difficult. He kept asking how much had I lost. I told 0.1 BTC. he asked value. I kept trying to explain that that changed constantly and gave figures on the day and at this time. In the end he became frustrated and literally thew his arms in the air and walked away. Obviously no police report.

• Thanks 1

Just tell them you'll pop into the local cop shop and sort it out.

BTW, what can they do with the Thai ID info?

I've got around a dozen IDs from ex girlfriends, paying for stuff, airfares etc. and other. 

They freely handover their IDs for some strange reason. The information on your ID should be kept secure. 

Maybe I can on sell this data. 

????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Just tell them you'll pop into the local cop shop and sort it out.

My girlfriend first told the "police officer" she was talking with on the Line app who said he was from Chiang Rai that she would goto Chiang Rai the next day and talk to him in person. He told her if she did she would goto jail for 20 years. She finally told hime that she was going to Chiang Mai police that afternoon at which time he disappeared from chat.

She had given him her ID but police said not to worry but she did close bank accounts next day and opened new.

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

While we live way too far from the dealership who sold us our car for them to send mechanics out to us, we have received several cold calls from them, if we lived closer it would certainly be possible that they might do something like that. “What would be in it for them?” customer satisfaction, probability of future sales, customer good will, cheap advertising, etc

• 1 month later...

I had a Thai friend who got scammed just a few weeks ago, similar stuff about delivery in her name, I don't know the detail exactly, but she also has Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank apps on her phone...., the end of the story is they may have send her a link or something to click on, I am not sure, but after a few minutes, she opened both her bank apps, and they showed zero remaining ....!?

About 22k baht was gone, the transfers out of the account was there in transfer history, 1 full amount transfer out on each - to be honest I'm not clear how this could happen , she didn't say exact details, could be they tricked her to do the transfer....! She was so upset and embarrassed to talk about it, not tell any family or friends..., but I saw the zeros and full transfers out on the bank apps...! 

Police wouldn't help, I convinced her to call the bank, they are investigating, but I doubt anything comes off it...

I never put bank apps on my phone, using computer is bad enough ! 

8 hours ago, Agusts said:

About 22k baht was gone, the transfers out of the account was there in transfer history, 1 full amount transfer out on each - to be honest I'm not clear how this could happen , she didn't say exact details, could be they tricked her to do the transfer....! She was so upset and embarrassed to talk about it, not tell any family or friends..., but I saw the zeros and full transfers out on the bank apps...! 

Sounds unlikely.

My bank apps insist on my fingerprint to open, then a 6 digit code to confirm a transfer.