Are You A 'good Farang' Or 'a Cheap Charlie"?

Luckydog

What do poor Thais think of Poor Farangs?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When Thais talk about us, they will say "He's a Good Farang" or "He is a cheap Charlie".

Definitions? A Good Farang is one who meekly hands over shedloads of Dosh on demand for....whatever.

A Cheap Charlie is one who refuses to do so, on the grounds that he worked his butt off for the money he has, and he is not about to throw it at people he hardly knows.......

Which category are you in ?

Fair enough. If you are very rich, it's nice to be able to help those who are in need.

But if you are like the vast majority of Guys who visit/live here, you need to keep a decent reserve in the Bank for Visa and Medical purposes. So you must avoid being 'milked' dry! Right?

Recently a mate of mine died for want of money to pay for expensive medical treatment. He had previously financed operations and schooling etc for his wifes family, and the pot was almost dry!

Is that fair?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do farang always paint Thais with the same brush? Most of the Thais I know wouldnt classify farang so simplistically - in fact, I doubt they've even heard the phrase cheap charlie. Such childishness might be normal amongst the sort of Thai who fishes in Pattaya or Lower Sukhumvit but that is a minority.

I dunno, perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps samran, stevemarigno or Thaigoon or the other Thai TVers can correct me, but I'm pretty sure most Thais don't think too much one way or the other.

Why do farang always paint Thais with the same brush? Most of the Thais I know wouldnt classify farang so simplistically - in fact, I doubt they've even heard the phrase cheap charlie. Such childishness might be normal amongst the sort of Thai who fishes in Pattaya or Lower Sukhumvit but that is a minority.

I dunno, perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps samran, stevemarigno or Thaigoon or the other Thai TVers can correct me, but I'm pretty sure most Thais don't think too much one way or the other.

For once I have to agree with bendix. Most thais do not have any contact with falangs so do not think one way or another about us.

I would guess some consider me a cheap charlie because i am careful with my cash since I don't have so much. I do help the family when they need it and have been known to help a few falang that have fallen on hard times.

Never heard Thais classifying farangs in any way, other than from time to time the usual "chai dee", which is not necesarelly related with money, but with the way one approaches a conversation with them.

I think that this classification is farang made.

wouldn't give a flying you-know-what is how I'd term it.

If they do think about it, the default status of a farang for a normal Thai is generally one of importance and a relatively high status. Totally up to the farang to piss said status away, which some do. But judgments - surprise surprise - is done on a case by case basis.

wouldn't give a flying you-know-what is how I'd term it.

If they do think about it, the default status of a farang for a normal Thai is generally one of importance and a relatively high status. Totally up to the farang to piss said status away, which some do. But judgments - surprise surprise - is done on a case by case basis.

Thanks for that, samran. :o The stereotypes are getting boring on here.

i find the term 'cheap charlie' particularly offensive. but as i am a woman and i dont frequent the kind of bars in which this phrase is most commonly spoken, i dont get to hear it often. thank goodness.

good post. :o

from my own experince the Thais respect people that respect them.

they have a hard time with patronising arrogant farrangs that use money as the only basis for relations. those are the ones that usualy get conned by the thais for money and they truley desreve it. :D

no disrespect to the op,but i think this highlights how location is everything if you want to be around un affected thai people.most places ive been staying in thailand,for any amount of time seem to be more concerned about jai dee than anything else.some places ive been staying at for awile seem very indifferent to me,but maybe after awile they seem to veiw me as an individual (not a farang),who's basically ok.

as an alien in thailand i dont see why this should be any different.

i also think that as farung we have a tendancy to paint thai people with the same brush.i think its important to remember that they are individuals who make their own mind up about who you are,even if they are conditioned by society to conform to not showing much emotion.

I would say this is tourist talk and or aimed at the pattaya long term balloon chasers,., i reckon they use cheap charlie to try and embarass you into parting with some money, if i was called this id be outa there and not return,.The saying came from vietnam from the war days and was usually directed at the GIs that would try and get laid for a chewing gum or similar ! :o

Edited by mikethevigoman

I honest must say that I have never heard the name' cheap charlie' in my life before.It sounds very american though.So that it came from Vietnam I can believe.And surely not one thai will ever use the term,at least not outside Patpong.

I honest must say that I have never heard the name' cheap charlie' in my life before.It sounds very american though.So that it came from Vietnam I can believe.And surely not one thai will ever use the term,at least not outside Patpong.
You do hear it in pattya and the likes ,but its usually directed at the ex GIs that ended up here , it seemed to have followed them over ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

You do hear it in pattya and the likes ,but its usually directed at the ex GIs that ended up here , it seemed to have followed them over ! :D

Ah so you know more about this??? :o:D

I hear cheap charlie often in bars in Pattaya.

More common is "kee niao".

If you don't like it, you can change it instantly to "jai dee" by buying drinks for the girls or ringing the bell.

Ah the bell ! ring it and you will receive instant promotion from charlie to charles ( temporarily ) :o

When Thais talk about us, they will say "He's a Good Farang" or "He is a cheap Charlie".

Definitions? A Good Farang is one who meekly hands over shedloads of Dosh on demand for....whatever.

A Cheap Charlie is one who refuses to do so, on the grounds that he worked his butt off for the money he has, and he is not about to throw it at people he hardly knows.......

Fair enough. If you are very rich, it's nice to be able to help those who are in need.

But if you are like the vast majority of Guys who visit/live here, you need to keep a decent reserve in the Bank for Visa and Medical purposes. So you must avoid being 'milked' dry! Right?

Recently a mate of mine died for want of money to pay for expensive medical treatment. He had previously financed operations and schooling etc for his wifes family, and the pot was almost dry!

Is that fair?

fair? LOL

I don't think I have heard the terms often outside of lower suk, pattaya, and Patong :o

Is that fair?

fair? LOL

I don't think I have heard the terms often outside of lower suk, pattaya, and Patong :o

same as 'TING TONG', a dead give away to a girl's past life.

Huh my wife says "Ting Tong" and I know about her past life.

I never discuss money with her she keeps it all and tells me occasionally how much we have, Im not interested because I know shes not crazy and saves like a lunatic. She'll only buy "Oishi" when its on offer at 15 baht!!

Her friends never mention about money and me either, sometimes we pay the bill many times we all split it when eating out.So dont know what I am but suspect neither and am not interested either way.

Interesting. I have only heard Thais say good or bad farang, or jai dee or jai dam. For example, I was bad when I reported a Thai neighbour who chopped down three trees on my friend's land to build bungalows. (Never be a caretaker!) Otherwise, I always tried to keep a low profile. When I left the country, I owed a Thai friend some money, which I repaid by sending the cash through another friend. The Thai was not worried about the $$ or shocked at getting it after several months apparently, just worried about my well-being. I also lent money to Thais over the years when they were down, but they always repaid it, too. Like Donna and other posters, I rarely went to the "display" bars, but I do remember stopping at one to wait for a friend; the top lady asked if I'd buy her a drink. Sure. Cost me Bt250 for a double Jack Daniels. :o

Hey UlyssesG, you stranger you, what does kee nok mean?

Huh my wife says "Ting Tong" and I know about her past life.

I never discuss money with her she keeps it all and tells me occasionally how much we have, Im not interested because I know shes not crazy and saves like a lunatic. She'll only buy "Oishi" when its on offer at 15 baht!!

Her friends never mention about money and me either, sometimes we pay the bill many times we all split it when eating out.So dont know what I am but suspect neither and am not interested either way.

Does she say, "same same"?

:o