If you were advising a retiree, which are the best places to move to in Thailand?

webfact

First thing any expat needs to decide is if they are a city person or country person or someone who wants to be by the sea (or maybe a combo).

Once that is established they need to make a list of the top 5 places (or more) of places they would consider moving to and go spend about a month in each place.

Once they do that they will know.

After they choose the city or town they like, they may have to spend even more time trying to decide what area they want to live in.

I live in Pratumnak. I really like Central Pattaya more but the cost is 2-3 times more for what I get in Pratumnak.  So after weighing the positives and negatives, I paid for a long term lease at covid prices in Pratumnak.

I have thoughts about moving to Bangkok as I really like what it has to offer too.  So much more shopping, restaurant, bars, massage, options. Less adult entertainment but it has enough for my taste. 

So I would have to really look at about 3-5 different areas (Asoke, Nana, Ekkamai, Thong Lo, Sathorn, etc) in Bangkok before I would be able to decide what is best for me.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't feel you need to stay in just one place, even the Thais don't do that.

I once asked my wife, Why does such a small country have 77 provinces? She said, "Because if you have a problem where you live, you can always move to another province."

Paul Laew

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Not for me............................but that is the beauty of this question  -  it is entirely personal.

Yes, personal indeed.  I couldn't live, forever in a suburban environment, and more about having neighbors within earshot or even sight.  Actually living in suburbia now, a townhouse with connecting neighbors, awaiting house build to be finished.  Actually a very good neighborhood, as mostly single homes owners, all renters next to me have been excellent.  Tolerate me well.

Prior rental was next to an apt bldg, and they were a bit noisy, expected as younger tenants, and a temporary arrangement for us, as again, waiting to move after a sale and then an eventual build completion.

I think I would prefer a larger 'condo' in the Big Mango, if I could afford, rather than any housing in a touristy area, or even a 'rental' area in suburbia.  100 m² condos are silly priced per m².

To be neighbor-less, you do need to go out a bit further than many prefer.  As long as I'm 15-30 minutes away for everyday shopping / living, then it would work for me.  Easily found, with exception of greater Krung Thep metro.  

Even the other larger 10 ish metros, and mere 15-30 minutes away from, and you could be considered in the sticks / rural area.  Housing options a bit more limited, and if owning & selling, may take longer than wanting to wait.  3 yrs for our last sale.  1 day, before even listed for previous sale ????

All things to be considered when deciding on a place to retire.  Why most recommend renting for quite some time before buying in, if ever.

• Like 1

I can only recommend my personal choice. Obviously others will have different priorities.

I'd live in Chaloklum.

I'd rather live in Than Sadet, but it's too difficult to get from there to town for actually living in rather than visiting. ( unless they paved the road and I can't see that happening ).

Depending on the development in the years since I was last on Phangan, it was the last Thai island with good facilities that hadn't been completely ruined, like Samui, Tao, Samet, Big Koh Chang, Phi Phi, Lanta. Too many paradises lost in LOS IMO.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:14 PM, Capella said:

Oh don't be so serious. People here are only comparing notes. Of course it's your personal choice where you choose to live. 

Serious ???? au contrare, merely pointing out the comedic element of being asked to advise an unknown retiree, of unknown background and previous history, where to retire in Thailand ????

• Like 1

Asoke, Bangkok by far! - after having lived in/visited all parts of the country. 

BTS, MRT, Terminal 21, Soi Cowboy outside my front door.

Loads of variety and things to do in BKK.

Having a vehicle allows quick access to many coastal and island locations.

Airport close-by for direct flights to '000s of international destinations (post-covid restrictions).