If you were advising a retiree, which are the best places to move to in Thailand?

webfact

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

This post shows what a mockery these threads are, personal preference is so important its impossible to generalise and lump people into categories.

My decisions apply to me, so far they have worked well, yet nobody I know has even suggested they move to Thailand, they are content exactly where they are. 

So what does that say........perhaps if you dont have a really good reason to be in Thailand maybe it will not be for you?

I had multiple good reasons to be in Thailand, which still apply.

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Everyone has different tastes/ likes.  I checked out Ching Maiin early visits but was  raised in Boston,MA USA near the sea so Chiang Mai was too far from the ocean. Being  a city boy was not going to live  on a farm in Nahkhon Nowhere.  Bangkok was nice but too much smog /P2.5 , traffic so I have small condo in Bangkok and a 3 bedroom home in Banglamung 12 mins outside Pattaya.  Can enjoy the sea/beaches, malls, and entertainment but drive home to peace and quite.

Agree as to different tastes/likes. Grew up in South Jersey in the Philly area but spent my working life in Western Kentucky on the Ohio River. Contemplating retirement I made 4 trips to Thailand, spending a month each visit while traveling around the country. It was the mountain North for me, with annual pilgrimages to the sea. Did not want any big city but Chiang Mai felt right. After a total of 11 years in Thailand, I am a happy camper (oh, I recognize issues but they present only moderate issues ... knock on wood).

• Like 2

There's no best place in Thailand ,It all depends what you like .

For us it's outside Hat Yai ,close to the airport ,Pretty good Imm office,Supermarkets,Markets and Hospitals  and doctors all close by.

Climate Fine ,no flooding at our area, rubbish service twice a week. 

We picked a spot built a house and a lawn and a small veg garden .

Happy Days.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, finnsk said:

You must be sure about your self what kind of life you want, then you can find your place here

Yes indeed and number four on your list (life in nature) describes me during my 20 years in Thailand. I was never a city dweller so Bangkok was definitely a "no no" for me. I lived up North in the country, first in Lanna near Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Phayao, then across in Isaan near Khon Kaen. Beaches and sea, with the associated bars/nightlife were of no interest to me so Pattaya, Phuket and the other resorts were definitely not on my visit list. With respect it is all a matter of personal choice. I have now left Thailand and do not regret the move, to hassle free Cambodia (but not in Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville!!)

7 hours ago, 473geo said:

This post shows what a mockery these threads are, personal preference is so important its impossible to generalise and lump people into categories.

My decisions apply to me, so far they have worked well, yet nobody I know has even suggested they move to Thailand, they are content exactly where they are. 

So what does that say........perhaps if you dont have a really good reason to be in Thailand maybe it will not be for you?

There is an expression " You never miss what you never had"  Many of my co-workers/friends in the US did not even know about Thailand they said "You're moving to Taiwan?  So if they don't know about a place have not traveled the world and seen other countries/culures they think their place is #1 and don't care to be somewhere else.

8 hours ago, Tony125 said:

There is an expression " You never miss what you never had"  Many of my co-workers/friends in the US did not even know about Thailand they said "You're moving to Taiwan?  So if they don't know about a place have not traveled the world and seen other countries/culures they think their place is #1 and don't care to be somewhere else.

My experience in Australia with my friends is the men envy me, and their wives fear and hate me.

I'm not surprised by the US attitude, many Americans think kangaroos are hopping down the streets in our capital cities.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, antony77 said:

Where there are few farangs

Buy cheap big land, build as far away from neighbours as possible, and create your own little kingdom. Have enough toys and interests to keep yourself busy, and have enough money and time to travel. 

Can live anywere as long you are not stuck. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm noticing more and more Americans here lately. I hope we don't ruin it, lol

add another one!

13 hours ago, portlandtree said:

If you like ocean also has nice breeze's and temperature around 75-92

To each his own, not into drinking, clubs , golf etc, we moved from our big house near the lake(phokhuntale) in Surat Thani to the other side of town in Kanchanadit into our new house(small)12 months ago and its so much quieter and relaxing. We have a few rai only 40 metres away so we can walk and play with our various trees etc, a large hot/cactus house on the block with the house to potter around with our plants in, it is more than enough to keep our interests going and away from all the crowds, for us its heaven. Its closer to the port where my wife works and just down the road from the immigration office, there are some good eaterieshere and a few mates I see every so often, finding somewhere you can feel relaxed and happy is to me the main thing but I am sure many others would rather live in a much more active area, people need to find somewhere that suits them and what they want out of life, so it really is to each his own

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

so MOVE ........... only 1 other expat in my village, and he only speaks Italian.

Does he great you every morning with this sentence?

"Buongiorno strano inglese, come sono le tue feci oggi?"

Pattani is the very best place for expats to relocate. This area has fine Halal food and friendly faces to cook it. There is a low crime rate (if you are Muslim) and you will be serenaded by the call to prayer five times a day. Don't forget to cover your women on entry.

Best place in Thailand to live.jpg

5 minutes ago, Screaming said:

Pattani is the very best place for expats to relocate. This area has fine Halal food and friendly faces to cook it. There is a low crime rate (if you are Muslim) and you will be serenaded by the call to prayer five times a day. Don't forget to cover your women on entry.

Best place in Thailand to live.jpg

Have you ever been to Pattani, and met the Muslims there? I do not think so! 

Very nice people, but for us a bit quiet, even the are some bars and restaurants that is okay for foreigners. 

But what you claim above is utterly stupidity and ignorance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:
19 hours ago, portlandtree said:

If you like ocean also has nice breeze's and temperature around 75-92

Why is it that Americans are oblivious to the fact that 95% of the world population converted to the Metric System more than a  lifetime ago except for the US and the other progressive countries of Liberia and Myanmar. 

When they use Fahrenheit why don't they realise that nobody else has a clue what they are talking about! ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 3:03 PM, Pravda said:

Bangkok.

You always want to be close to the airport in case of civil war

IIRC, while there were riots, water cannon and shootings in Bangkok a year or so ago, the only form of protest I saw in Chiang Rai were convoys of vehicles all honking their horns at about 5 pm.