ATK Test to Return to the US

I know that my family needs to get an ATK test the day before they fly out of Thailand back to the US. My wife is asking if the test requires a doctor certificate for the ATK test results. My assumption is that she needs a printed document from the clinic/hospital with the ATK test results, but that it doesn't need to be a doctor certificate (whatever that is) that my wife is saying will cost an extra 400 THB in addition to the cost of the test.

She is flying back on ANA via Tokyo and then onto Washington DC. What proof of negative ATK test results are acceptable for her to return to the US?

Edited by donx

I flew with ANA back in August(BKK-NRT-LAX).  ANA follows the US CDC Entry Covid 19 Criteria.  In short the US Accepts Ant-gen or PCR test administered no more than 1 day before departure.  As for home ATK tests:

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) OR the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

I would go to a clinic or hospital and get the test done there.  Also, I have entered the US three times in the past 14 months and no one has ever asked to see my Covid 19 PCR tests upon landing at LAX.  Just to be safe I have always obtained an RT-PCR test.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I flew with ANA back in August(BKK-NRT-LAX).  ANA follows the US CDC Entry Covid 19 Criteria.  In short the US Accepts Ant-gen or PCR test administered no more than 1 day before departure.  As for home ATK tests:

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) OR the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

I would go to a clinic or hospital and get the test done there.  Also, I have entered the US three times in the past 14 months and no one has ever asked to see my Covid 19 PCR tests upon landing at LAX.  Just to be safe I have always obtained an RT-PCR test.   

Although no one asked to see your test upon landing, I assume you needed to show the test results at the check-in counter in Thailand. Did you also need to show it when you transferred through Tokyo? I'm guessing not and that they only checked it before your initial boarding.

My wife is planning on going to a hospital or clinic. She said there was an additional fee for a "doctor certificate". I explained that she needs a certificate of the results but that it doesn't have to be from a doctor - it can be a certificate from the facility. I also explained that it needs to have her name and either birth date or passport on the test results. I found this on the CDC website where they list what needs to appear on the test results.

I also called ANA and the representative guided me to something called the Combined Passenger Disclosure and Attestation to the U.S. of A. form. Airlines are required to collect this form where my family will attest to the fact that they test negative for COVID-19 and that they are fully vaccinated. I downloaded it from ANA's website while on the call with the representative. This form, along with an antigen test result are to be provided at check-in. I don't know if you had to complete one of these Attestation forms when you returned to the US, but it now appears to be mandatory from ANA's perspective.

Attestation-Testing-Order-12-02-2021-p.pdf

Edited by donx
  • Like 1

The Attestation form is new as of November as well as the covid testing, be it a PCR or Antigen test of being done no more than 1 day prior to flying. I took a PCR test at 8 am on the day I flew out of Bangkok and paid extra for the expedited processing and had my results 8 hours prior to flying at 0040 hours.  The company used was MedConsult in Bangkok or as its also known as Doctor Donna's also provided a fit to fly certificate.

At check in at the airport, the lab test result certificate was looked at as well as my vaccination certificate.  The check-in desk also had me complete the attestation form as well as handing me another one which I showed in S. Korea on my leg to Seattle.  

Never asked to show anything on arrival in the US 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, donx said:

Although no one asked to see your test upon landing, I assume you needed to show the test results at the check-in counter in Thailand. Did you also need to show it when you transferred through Tokyo? I'm guessing not and that they only checked it before your initial boarding.

My wife is planning on going to a hospital or clinic. She said there was an additional fee for a "doctor certificate". I explained that she needs a certificate of the results but that it doesn't have to be from a doctor - it can be a certificate from the facility. I also explained that it needs to have her name and either birth date or passport on the test results. I found this on the CDC website where they list what needs to appear on the test results.

I also called ANA and the representative guided me to something called the Combined Passenger Disclosure and Attestation to the U.S. of A. form. Airlines are required to collect this form where my family will attest to the fact that they test negative for COVID-19 and that they are fully vaccinated. I downloaded it from ANA's website while on the call with the representative. This form, along with an antigen test result are to be provided at check-in. I don't know if you had to complete one of these Attestation forms when you returned to the US, but it now appears to be mandatory from ANA's perspective.

Attestation-Testing-Order-12-02-2021-p.pdf 307.51 kB · 0 downloads

Transit at NRT was a joy.  No one bothered me while I enjoyed an Asahi that I bought at the 7-11 for 150 yen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donx said:

Combined Passenger Disclosure and Attestation to the U.S.

GEEZ, seven pages of lawyer goobledeepoop. That form is over the top. ANA must have a priniting press to have enough of those forms, don't let the Thai Immigration see one.

3 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

GEEZ, seven pages of lawyer goobledeepoop. That form is over the top. ANA must have a priniting press to have enough of those forms, don't let the Thai Immigration see one.

I printed out the same document from Delta, but upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi and checking in with Korean Air they said that form was outdated and gave me a 1 pager.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, roman50 said:

Check out link to same subject. We are returning to US this weekend.

My wife was going to do the test at the airport, but their flight is at 7:10 AM which means they’d have to arrive at the airport 30 minutes earlier than normal. They’re staying near Silom and will get tested near their hotel. She’s scheduled the test for 11:00 AM today (January 26). They fly out early tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, donx said:

My wife was going to do the test at the airport, but their flight is at 7:10 AM which means they’d have to arrive at the airport 30 minutes earlier than normal. They’re staying near Silom and will get tested near their hotel. She’s scheduled the test for 11:00 AM today (January 26). They fly out early tomorrow morning.

Can you name the testing facility at the airport? Yesterday I got a message back from one at the train station saying they are no longer testing there. 

2 hours ago, roman50 said:

Another update, Thanks to "TreeTops"

ATK (rapid antigen test) available at swampy. walk-in only, open 24 hours

30 minute results good for entry to countries allowing ATK tests. Located ground floor, door 3.

Info on AOT (airports of thailand) facebook page, in thai langauge, Wife just spoke with them on telephone.

tel . 0846604096

Thank you for this.

I will be flying Thai Airways to Sydney in February. Can someone who has recently flown to Australia please confirm that he/she was able to travel with a rapid test result only, without a PCR test?

Much appreciated.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, donx said:

A word of warning to those getting tested at the airport before your flight. As stated above, my wife, son, and daughter got tested on January 26 and my wife's results were positive while my son and daughter were negative. My wife is now in a quarantine hotel and my son and daughter are on their flight to Washington Dulles.

I don't know what would have happened if my wife found out she was positive 2 hours before her flight. As it was, the next day my son and daughter went to the airport as expected while my wife waited in the hotel for someone to pick her up and transport her to a place to quarantine. She had the AXA insurance, but that expired on midnight of January 26. Even though they said she could use the insurance (since she talked to someone on the 26th), they told her she needed to go to one of the hospitals on their list of approved hospitals. My wife said that every one of them that she called said they were full. Since my wife is Thai, she's able to stay for free at the quarantine hotel unless she wants a private room which will cost her 2,000 baht per night. At the moment, she is in a "holding room" until her test results taken at 6:00 PM (Thailand time) are returned. After that, she can decide if she wants a private room or not. All meals are free, but the food is Bangkok style and since she's from Southern Thailand, she says the food isn't very good.

My wife self-tested herself multiple times during her trip with the last self-test done on January 24. I suspect the self-tests she bought were not adequate for detecting the virus. She said she's had a dry cough since about January 19, testing herself often since then.

Because January 26 was day 30 of her trip, she went to immigration to extend her stay. She didn't realize that at immigration they would test her for COVID. So although she has extended her stay, immigration has recorded that she tested positive and won't allow her to self-quarantine. They gave her a phone number to call to have someone pick her up and take her to the quarantine hotel the following day. The hotel she is in is the Vince Hotel Pratunam. She says the room is very nice, but she still feels like a prisoner.

I was fortunately able to change her flights to return on February 10 with the same flight schedule and without having to pay anything. At this time, she doesn't know how long she will need to stay at the quarantine hotel or what the criteria is for releasing her. Once she is released, she has a place to stay at a friend's house in Bangkok. If she is release soon, she wants me to see if I can reschedule her flight again to return home earlier that February 10.

So Test & Go for her has become, Test & Go and in 30 days Go to Jail!

• Sad 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I printed out the same document from Delta, but upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi and checking in with Korean Air they said that form was outdated and gave me a 1 pager.

My son and daughter completed this document and ANA accepted it. The onus is on the airlines to provide this proof to the CDC. Whether the airlines send these to the CDC or simply retain them in case they are requested, I don't really know. The CDC provided this form as an example. It covers so many possible situations. The 1 pager you signed probably stripped out most of them.

1 hour ago, donx said:

My son and daughter completed this document and ANA accepted it. The onus is on the airlines to provide this proof to the CDC. Whether the airlines send these to the CDC or simply retain them in case they are requested, I don't really know. The CDC provided this form as an example. It covers so many possible situations. The 1 pager you signed probably stripped out most of them.

The majority of the pages from the one I printed from Delta was all gobblyspeak,  and the 1 pager Korean Air gave summarized it all and had the spot to check the box saying I was vaccinated and then below it my signature.

Sorry to hear your wife tested positive. Hope all goes well and the kids reached home just a little bit ago.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry to hear your wife tested positive. Hope all goes well and the kids reached home just a little bit ago.

My wife is fine - just bored. My kids arrive at 3:30 PM into Washington Dulles so they're still in the air.

23 minutes ago, donx said:

My wife is fine - just bored. My kids arrive at 3:30 PM into Washington Dulles so they're still in the air.

Did they fly through Eurooe or west coast and then across.  I flew to S.Korea then Seattle and the to California.  Left at 0040 in the morning and landed in California the same day gecause of the 15 hour time difference. Did not have but 1 hour layovers in between all my flights.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did they fly through Eurooe or west coast and then across.  I flew to S.Korea then Seattle and the to California.  Left at 0040 in the morning and landed in California the same day gecause of the 15 hour time difference. Did not have but 1 hour layovers in between all my flights.

They flew leaving Bangkok at 7:10 arriving in Narita Tokyo at 3:05 PM (Tokyo time). Boarded at 5:00 PM direct to Washington Dulles to arrive here at 3:30 PM EST. Only one stop of less than 2 hours. Enough time to get some nice Japanese food.

• Thanks 1