Thailand’s 2021 corruption standing drops six places to 110th out of 180 countries

webfact

Many people here are complaining about corruption until the moment they can use it to get they extension of stay. They know very well: using an agent smells in case they don't reach the Immi conditions..... but that is OK for them .... but later COMPLAING.....

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Thailand has plenty of scope for improvement with a rating like that !

I noticed this in the Indy today, which I hadn't seen before. Good luck to the PM in sorting this out :-

"Thailand s prime minister arrived in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday for the first high-level meeting since relations between the nations soured three decades ago over a sensational jewelry heist that led to a diplomatic row and string of mysterious killings. The official visit by Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to Riyadh signals the nations are seeking to thaw relations, long chilled by the 1989 scandal. Saudi Arabia downgraded its diplomatic ties with Thailand over the theft that became known as the Blue Diamond affair.

A 50-carat blue diamond was among an estimated $20 million worth of gems and jewelry stolen by a Thai janitor from a Saudi prince’s palace in the heist that wrecked relations between the countries. The kingdom stopped issuing and renewing visas for hundreds of thousands of Thai workers, suspended permits for thousands of Thai Muslims hoping to make the annual hajj pilgrimage to Mecca and warned its citizens not to travel to Thailand. Three Saudi diplomats seeking the valuables’ return were shot dead in Bangkok. A Bangkok-based Saudi businessman believed to have been hunting for the missing jewels also disappeared, and was presumed killed. No one was convicted for the killings."

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/thai-pm-arrives-saudi-arabia-122943635.html

Also, I remember that the wife of a high-ranking police officer blatantly wore some of the stolen jewelry (I think the blue diamond) at an event, and when some of the items were returned to Saudi they were found to be fake replicas.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

The article is not about corruption. It's about corruption PERCEPTION

Here's the website

The idea of corruption is in itself a perception and quite often nothing more than xenophobia.

In the west it gets disguised as fraud and viewed as more acceptable.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lord-agnew-minister-resigns-covid-fraud-b1999562.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IND_Morning_Headlines 25-01-2022&utm_term=IND_Headlines_Masterlist_CDP

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/07/07/covid-19-contracts-overlook-fraud-claims-masks-sanitizer-and-ppe/5352886002/

4 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

this is quite a story indeed.  i've always felt this would make a great movie,  even more so because it's true.   

Thailand has plenty of scope for improvement with a rating like that !

I noticed this in the Indy today, which I hadn't seen before. Good luck to the PM in sorting this out :-

"Thailand s prime minister arrived in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday for the first high-level meeting since relations between the nations soured three decades ago over a sensational jewelry heist that led to a diplomatic row and string of mysterious killings. The official visit by Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to Riyadh signals the nations are seeking to thaw relations, long chilled by the 1989 scandal. Saudi Arabia downgraded its diplomatic ties with Thailand over the theft that became known as the Blue Diamond affair.

A 50-carat blue diamond was among an estimated $20 million worth of gems and jewelry stolen by a Thai janitor from a Saudi prince’s palace in the heist that wrecked relations between the countries. The kingdom stopped issuing and renewing visas for hundreds of thousands of Thai workers, suspended permits for thousands of Thai Muslims hoping to make the annual hajj pilgrimage to Mecca and warned its citizens not to travel to Thailand. Three Saudi diplomats seeking the valuables’ return were shot dead in Bangkok. A Bangkok-based Saudi businessman believed to have been hunting for the missing jewels also disappeared, and was presumed killed. No one was convicted for the killings."

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/thai-pm-arrives-saudi-arabia-122943635.html

The generalissimos have needs too. While some are corrupt, others are more lucky and get 22 luxury watches from a friend. Latter most likely deceased over the joy of giving - there you go! Others take flour all the way to Sydney and are reprimanded for that; some nasty judge could not distinguish between flour and illicit powers. How unfortunate for all those honest, hard working, servants to the people who "elected" them. 

• Like 2