Covid insurance when travelling to Thailand

jayboy

I apologize for raising an issue which I suspect has already been answered but I can't seem to find the relevant thread.

I'm making my first overseas trip (to the USA) since 2019.I'm aware that COVID-19 insurance is required on my return to Thailand and I'm covered by medical insurance cover with AXA International which states cover will be provided for in-patient treatment as the result of a pandemic including COVID-19.

My question is what exactly do immigration officials in Thailand need to see on COVID-19 cover and how thorough is the perusal of relevant documents. I'm 99% certain all is in order but I would kick myself if there's some small adjustment which could have been sorted out in advance (e.g getting my insurers to provide a form of wording that satisfied Thai entry requirements.)

58 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Need to be over $50k. 
ask them for a covid letter. They know what to write, jargon 

My insurance company does provide a general letter on Covid as an add on to the policy.But it does not mention a specific amount like Dlrs 50,000 for Covid simply that Covid is covered under the policy.My question related to what the Thai authorities actually require in practice.I don't think one can rely on the insyrance companies knowledge of the right wording since they have to deal with multiple countries/requirements.

5 minutes ago, jayboy said:

My insurance company does provide a general letter on Covid as an add on to the policy.But it does not mention a specific amount like Dlrs 50,000 for Covid simply that Covid is covered under the policy.My question related to what the Thai authorities actually require in practice.I don't think one can rely on the insyrance companies knowledge of the right wording since they have to deal with multiple countries/requirements.

Many people use AXA in Thailand, just ask them, they should be very aware by now of the wording you will need.

12 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Many people use AXA in Thailand, just ask them, they should be very aware by now of the wording you will need.

I don't use AXA in Thailand.I use AXA International which has a worldwide clientele.

Having said that, if someone on AXA Thailand books with first hand knowledge could advise what's needed, that would be very kind.

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I don't use AXA in Thailand.I use AXA International which has a worldwide clientele.

Having said that, if someone on AXA Thailand books with first hand knowledge could advise what's needed, that would be very kind.

I understand that but it's the same company. You need something saying $50,000 coverage minimum to qualify for the Thailand Pass, there have been many reports of people being rejected if they submit without it specifying this if you search around. I'm not understanding exactly what you need to know beyond that but good luck to you in getting the answer you're looking for.

Is the Insurance costs not also dependent on how long he will be staying in Thailand on his return? I will be visiting my home country for 3 weeks in March and will be returning with my Non Immigrant O Visa for near  1 year ( renewed in Feb.) , or , specifically ,10 months. As my world health insurance policy ( Aetna )  makes no specific mention of Covid , Im of the impression I will need to have Covid Specific Insurance to return. Has anyone bought a policy  for re-entry under a long term visa and can point me in the right direction please ?

On 1/27/2022 at 6:43 PM, zaZa9 said:

Is the Insurance costs not also dependent on how long he will be staying in Thailand on his return? I will be visiting my home country for 3 weeks in March and will be returning with my Non Immigrant O Visa for near  1 year ( renewed in Feb.) , or , specifically ,10 months. As my world health insurance policy ( Aetna )  makes no specific mention of Covid , Im of the impression I will need to have Covid Specific Insurance to return. Has anyone bought a policy  for re-entry under a long term visa and can point me in the right direction please ?

All thai insurers will give you a cover letter for covid just ask them. 
you need insurance to the end of extension 

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

you need insurance to the end of extension 

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know, but there are plenty on these forums telling us that 30 days cover is sufficient for issue of the Thailand Pass, and it's not queried by Immigration on arrival. I find that a little hard to believe (though I hope it's true) because for those of us in our late 70s/over 80 the difference in cost would be considerable, just to tick a box to get back into the country.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:35 PM, Ohyesuare said:

I understand that but it's the same company. You need something saying $50,000 coverage minimum to qualify for the Thailand Pass, there have been many reports of people being rejected if they submit without it specifying this if you search around. I'm not understanding exactly what you need to know beyond that but good luck to you in getting the answer you're looking for.

Thanks and apologies for late response.Just in case there are others who have the same concern, let me restate the issue.Looking back I was less than clear so understand your query.Here goes:

The Thai Pass requires the Covid Insurance confirmation to be uploaded on one page. This needs - I assume - to state the cover is at least US Dlrs 50,000,to have one's name inserted along with insurance the time frame.My medical insurance company confirms the cover by issuing a one page add-on but it doesn't have the requisite details.I suppose it is just a matter of asking for these details to be inserted.The revised page can presumably be used to show officials when entering Thailand.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:23 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know, but there are plenty on these forums telling us that 30 days cover is sufficient for issue of the Thailand Pass, and it's not queried by Immigration on arrival. I find that a little hard to believe (though I hope it's true) because for those of us in our late 70s/over 80 the difference in cost would be considerable, just to tick a box to get back into the country.

Yes, if you have departure, throw away ticket or rent one within 30 days of entry. 
you will need it every time you enter thailand, so buying an inflated 1 month policies, which cover all covid, but nothing much more. 
after consideration i have opted for one year full health policy, which covers me also outside thailand, when i do travel. 
some of those covid policies do have 14 days waiting time, so you are effectively covered only for 16 days or have to buy 2 months policies, instead of one, to have full back up (even if formally this 30 days policy will be accepted for entry. 

On 1/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, internationalism said:

need insurance to the end of extension

I have entered numerous times, my insurance has not been till the end of my extension.

I will enter again end of this month, my medical insurance ( which covers covid ) expires end of March so i'll only put 25 days on my Thai Pass application, i don't expect any issues.