Udon Thani’s zebra crossings get makeover following Bangkok’s fatal accident

webfact

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about installing cameras on all those crossings which automatically take pictures of vehicles which ignore the red light? And then, maybe as a next step, to automatic registration plate recognition and fine them all.

That should make sure that a lot of people will stop and a lot of people will have to pay. And more pedestrians will survive. Win/win/win, it should be a no-brainer. But then again, TiT.

If you drove a minimum around Thailand you would find out, that very very very few people actually run the red lights. 

The problem is that most zebra crossings don't have a red light, and so motorists will seldom stop for anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about installing cameras on all those crossings which automatically take pictures of vehicles which ignore the red light?

Zebra crossings don't have traffic lights. Pelican/puffin etc. crossings have them. Can't say I've ever seen one here, but that's what's needed I guess.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you drove a minimum around Bangkok you would find out, that many many people actually ignore zebra crossings. 

And that includes zebra crossing with red lights.

I ride motorcycle and I like to stop. But I always have to look in the rear mirror and be carful because there are just too many drivers and riders who totally ignore zebra crossings.

Because they know, there are NO zebras crossing in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Strongly disagree. I see drivers running red lights daily when I travel and also in my home town in Isaan.

Then you must live in a different nation - maybe imagination, lol. 

Very few people, specially cars run red lights in Bangkok. Not stopping at zebra crossings without traffic lights is a different thing.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Moreover, more CCTV cameras are being installed at pedestrian crossings to monitor those who break the traffic laws.

CCTV's do not prevent accidents in Thailand, they record the accident...

Too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

CCTV's do not prevent accidents in Thailand, they record the accident...

Too late.

They prevent accidents everywhere which is why they are used. Driver's can't hit and run and can be prosecuted for failing to stop for a pedestrian. That's a deterrent.

18 hours ago, Gold Star said:

That's a good effort, but...

What I find is that in many places and towns here that try to make roads 'safer' by painting lines, and the whole road red, and place rumble strips in so many locations, is that they get too carried away and putting them literally everywhere, and a driver becomes sensory numb to them like driving through Las Vegas. 

When they approach real important hazard like a crosswalk zebra crossing, they already have them tuned out and ignored.

I was going to write almost exactly the same.

Well done, and I couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about installing cameras on all those crossings which automatically take pictures of vehicles which ignore the red light? And then, maybe as a next step, to automatic registration plate recognition and fine them all.

That should make sure that a lot of people will stop and a lot of people will have to pay. And more pedestrians will survive. Win/win/win, it should be a no-brainer. But then again, TiT.

Sorry, but that would mean the hi-so's can't get away with it, and the law would be applied equally to all. And things don't work that way here.

Also, many don't have plates, or have obscured plates.

Don't forget, the peasants have to pay for the priviliged. ????

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gold Star said:

That's a good effort, but...

What I find is that in many places and towns here that try to make roads 'safer' by painting lines, and the whole road red, and place rumble strips in so many locations, is that they get too carried away and putting them literally everywhere, and a driver becomes sensory numb to them like driving through Las Vegas. 

When they approach real important hazard like a crosswalk zebra crossing, they already have them tuned out and ignored.

Do you tune them out and ignore them? If not then your claim is patently false.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Would become self funding.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Perhaps with so many police officer and other public officals in "inactive posts" they send them out as "lolly pop persons", on every crossing in each city or town

Controlling the crossings and saving life, and contributing to society.

Crossing supervisors excited to welcome students back to school | Bendigo  Advertiser | Bendigo, VIC

They do on the Nittaya Rd Udon Thani outside the St Mary's school, although I haven't seen them carrying lollipop signs.

20 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

Then you must live in a different nation - maybe imagination, lol. 

Very few people, specially cars run red lights in Bangkok. Not stopping at zebra crossings without traffic lights is a different thing.

I live in Bangkok and see cars run red lights every day.

• Haha 1