Yet again! Two people hit by motorcycle on Zebra Crossing as Thai media scurries

webfact

That's a zebra crossing,??   like most i have seen, there is  no warning signs of a  zebra crossing, like a flashing beacon light etc,...   and that Emulsion paint on the road  has worn away,  but i guess even if there were  signs, and decent road markings, they would still be ignored

• Like 1

Another problem is that many zebra crossings (like the picture in the first post) have faded paint and/or cars parked on or near them. A proper zebra crossing should have no-parking zones on either side.

Plus, around Thailand there are rumble strips, painted roads and signs and flashing lights for a corner that's neither tight nor dangerous. So drivers can easily become desensitized due to warnings followed by nothing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roo860 said:

This was in Thailand yesterday, refreshments available on a freshly painted pedestrian crossing, anyone getting knocked down could order tea or coffee or Mama noodles,  while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. 

272625618_5168418886510335_4733258699038101629_n.jpg

may be if get RUN OVER  dont get charged for tea/coffee ???    back to police 

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:
1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

Is the company GRAB liable or the individual , the driver himself for the accident in Thailand accidents in this case?

If you use a vehicle for hire and reward, then commercial insurance is required, perhaps Grab has a block insurance, if not, then the rider is responsible for paying hire and reward insurance..

On 1/28/2022 at 11:00 AM, grain said:

They seem to have no idea what zebra crossings are for, just like they seem to have no idea what indicators and brake lights mean. But the gov' is trying. Last time I renewed my Thai DL, about 3 years ago, we had to watch a lengthy road safety movie that dealt with all these issues.

Also do not have a kin clue how to use a traffic circle. 

On 1/28/2022 at 4:05 PM, Burma Bill said:

Why not install traffic light controlled "Pelican Crossings" or would this be more of a disaster????

Could experiment with one and see what happens - could be interestin

They put quite a few in on Pattaya Beach Rd and a couple of other places..... mostly got ignored by those in vehicles. I nearly got inured crossing 2nd using one... falang driver who was a few 100m away by the time I got to the kerb. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

If Grab riders *can* get insurance it would amaze me frankly. This is from my dashcam yesterday. I could post hundreds of videos like this. I rarely keep them but I chose to archive this one in case it comes back to me at a later date. Morons. . .

Strangely enough I had one today at a traffic light do similar, he got the order of the hooter....????

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:11 AM, JAS21 said:

In the UK if you put one foot on the crossing cars have to stop.

The rule actually include the requirement to stop for pedestrians waiting at a crossing, they don't even have to put one foot on the crossing.

The Highway code states that at a junction drivers and riders should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

Tourists from countries with these laws are lulled into a false sense of security when they visit here.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 8:31 PM, KhaoYai said:
On 1/28/2022 at 11:11 AM, JAS21 said:

In the UK if you put one foot on the crossing cars have to stop.

Untrue.

More precisely.

Zebra and parallel crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/pedestrian-crossings.html#:~:text=You MUST NOT park on,to give way to pedestrians.

The definition of 'give way' is an alien concept in Thailand and that's why roundabouts are a bloody disaster here. In my experience in the UK, once your foot is on the black and white at a marked pedestrian crossing, give way actually means the vehicles do have to stop.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, RafPinto said:

They would never pass a driver's test in Europe.

Thailand is not Europe or America. You can't apply the laws and customs of another country in Thailand.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"; and not the other way around.

Not only in Thailand but in most countries in Asia, drivers do not need to stop at zebra crossing if there are no traffic lights at the crossing.

They will slow down at Zebra crossing but not stop just to allow you to cross.

You should travel to other countries in Asia besides Thailand.

Pedestrians have to cross only when there are no incoming cars.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, RafPinto said:

Whenever I cross the road, it seems that drivers accelerate.

The same as when I put on the indicator to change lanes. 

Actually going out of their way to make sure they inconvenience you or 'win' seems to be in the national DNA.

To see the truth of a society, look at how they treat those at their mercy (prisoners) and how they act when they are unknown (in cars).

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The definition of 'give way' is an alien concept in Thailand and that's why roundabouts are a bloody disaster here. In my experience in the UK, once your foot is on the black and white at a marked pedestrian crossing, give way actually means the vehicles do have to stop.

If you read the Highway Code fully - including advice to pedestrians, you will find that a pedestrian cannot simply step onto a crossing and expect traffic to screech to a halt.  What the Highway Code is saying is that vehicles should give right of way to pedestrians so if you see someone waiting, you must stop - when it is safe to do so. Giving right of way does not mean a pedestrian can step into the path of a moving vehicle and expect it to stop - that would be ridiculous.

But yes, I agree about giving way being an alien concept in Thailand. On the whole, traffic does give way to pedestrians in the UK whereas in Thailand, you would probably have to stand there all day before a car stopped voluntarily.  Roundabouts in Thailand?  I just don't get why Thai's have a problem with them.  I've been over and over it with my wife many times and she still doesn't get it.  How can you not understand 'give way to traffic on the roundabout, coming from your right'? When she was in the UK she was amazed at how well roundabouts work - something we just take for granted. Its not difficult but if you've learned to drive in a totally selfish way, maybe its ingrained?

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:40 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

They have them in Pattaya along beach road and nobody stops for them.

Gives pedestrians a false sense of security which is even more dangerous.

Last time I was in Pattaya all traffic stopped for red lights including the crossing on Beach Road. The problem is lack of maintenance of the lights which get stuck on flashing amber so all drivers just go around pedestrians rather than stopping