Yet again! Two people hit by motorcycle on Zebra Crossing as Thai media scurries

webfact

5 hours ago, RafPinto said:

They would never pass a driver's test in Europe.

This is a pet topic of mine and I have to say bluntly but politely that you're wrong. Thais follow the rules in Europe and they behave according to the landscape. The reason is enforcement. Conversely, Europeans flout the rules in Thailand, the reason is the lack of enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

This is a pet topic of mine and I have to say bluntly but politely that you're wrong. Thais follow the rules in Europe and they behave according to the landscape. The reason is enforcement. Conversely, Europeans flout the rules in Thailand, the reason is the lack of enforcement.

Not in my experience - see above.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Driving in Thailand I encounter motorcycles coming out of side roads without looking all the time for example - its as if there's a bracket fixing their head in the same direction as the handlebars. 

You do realize of course that motorcyclists can hear traffic with their ears because thay are not surrounded by glass. They glanced right but you didn't see them do it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, hitting someone in a crosswalk is a catastrophic fail.

But in our countries - and not just 'the west' hitting a pedestrian PERIOD is beyond the pale.

The crosswalk is just sort of the double exclamation point at the end of the literal mortal sin.

In Thailand, it's just another day. Totally unserious people.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

The reason is enforcement.

Whilst I agree to a large extent, enforcement doesn't explain everything.  Near my home in Thailand, as set of lights has just been taken out because traffic on the major road simply ignored the lights when they turned red against them - it was the scene of a lot of accidents, many fatal.  Now, you could say that if the police enforced red lights, that wouldn't happen.  However, I've pulled out of the minor road at those lights many times and been confronted by traffic on the major road, hammering through the red light, headilghts flashing at well over 100kph - sometimes 10-20 seconds after the lights changed when they can clearly see traffic emerging against them.

That's ignorance, arrogance and just plain stupidity - stupidity in terms of a lack of regard for their own life, as well as those of others. I'm not so sure that enforcement would change that aspect.

(The lights I refer to above have been replaced by a left turn followed by a u-turn, I don't think that will be any better.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I read your post. It seems to me she was trained accordingly and achieved the appropriate standard. Have I misunderstood this?

My point is, she had a Thai licence but needed 120 hours to get up to UK driving standards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Or that as a pedestrian you have to look both ways before crossing.

Yes, yes, yes.

But who does not agree that a pedestrian in a crosswalk is inviolate?

Are these people so incompetent drivers, such a lack of focus that a person need die daily over pure stupidity? I guess so.

1 minute ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I don't accept this excuse. Plenty of British born and bred need years of training and fail their tests repeatedly.

.......Until they have grasp it, that is the idea of a test, in LOS it's about handing over a few quid....????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

.......Until they have grasp it, that is the idea of a test, in LOS it's about handing over a few quid....????

The family idiot... my cousin in-law has a driver's license. If her IQ was above 84 I would be utterly shocked. Got her license after two drivers lessons. Never had been behind the wheel in her life.

I'm mystified how she passed the test in the building!

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

This was in Thailand yesterday, refreshments available on a freshly painted pedestrian crossing, anyone getting knocked down could order tea or coffee or Mama noodles,  while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. 

272625618_5168418886510335_4733258699038101629_n.jpg

How terribly thoughtful. And they have furniture that matches the crossing (well, some of it) !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

LOS does not have a viable fine system, it is a joke, so much of a joke that LOS folk don't give a stuff how they behave on the road.

My point exactly. Never will.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

does your country lock you up for minor road traffic infringements....?

No. It doesn't need to because the shocking traffic crimes really don't occur - in civilized countries.

Thailand is quite literally at the same level of order as the US west in the 1840-1880s.

Nothing will come of fines because nothing has come of fines. What's the definition of insanity?? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

19 minutes ago, TheScience said:

My point exactly. Never will.

No. It doesn't need to because the shocking traffic crimes really don't occur - in civilized countries.

Thailand is quite literally at the same level of order as the US west in the 1840-1880s.

Nothing will come of fines because nothing has come of fines. What's the definition of insanity?? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Could be because fines are too small.

Yesterday in Bangkok followed the GPS and turned right, didn’t see the sign saying you must not. Thought it was strange that I was the only one but the road was quite.

Didn’t know Mr BIB could sprint so fast, out of his little hut and right across the wide road hand held high.

MrsJ explained that the GPS said go right. Mr BIB, smiling, drew a map of what we should have done.

She tried, but failed to negotiate any lower than 200 Baht, better than bigger fine and some points I guess.

And while ever that happens …  no hope

• Like 1

There was an article in today's Bangkok post, talking about just one intersection on Asoke Road, where they estimated 25,000 violations for this one Zebra crossing, since the beginning of the year.
They are able to automatically send various types of automated tickets to drivers for many other types of traffic violations.
Seems this would be one way to increase the pressure a bit. i.e. add this violation to automated ticketing.

Grab motorcycles: A Thai friend of mine informed me she was on back of one of these, and got a 500 Baht fine for not wearing a helmet. I told her "good" you should wear one!!

Then a few days later, there she is, on the back of another one, and none wearing helmets.

The one thing that I find odd, is that these "taxi motorcycles" are not required to carry a 2nd helmet with them. How many walking passengers is going to be carrying around a spare helmet in their pocket? Let me check my back pocket and see if I remembered to bring it today! They should be required to have an extra helmet with them. Then if a passenger refuses to wear, give passenger a ticket. If driver doesn't have one, give them both a ticket; driver should get a big ticket, in my opinion.
Certainly there would need to be some spraying of inside of helmet between passengers, but is not an impossible idea. 

12 minutes ago, Trvlr55 said:

Asoke Road, where they estimated 25,000 violations for this one Zebra crossing

I bet this is the one my wife speaks of - she works very near.

A woman in the building went to lunch and was struck dead...blood everywhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Also meeting will be high level police and other authorities after an order by DPM Prawit Wongsuwon to get tough on motorists ignoring pedestrians at Zebra Crossings in the wake of Dr Kratai's death last week. 

Don’t hold your breath, I’m fully expecting his will be all talk and no action, as usual. 

There has to be REAL measurable consequences to an action to deter it.

These stupid pocket money fines are meaningless ! Make it a months salary or 30 days in jail! Then watch the changes. Hit them harder and have active present enforcement, do it 3 times and whatever vehicle you have is CRUSHED ! 

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, and for those of you who have experienced trying to cross on a zebra crossing in Vietnam will know the routine to avoid all the motorbikes, as I have experienced on several occasions. It is scary but surprisingly (as the stock photo shows) the drivers will avoid you if you walk at a slow pace and do not panic. It is uncanny and I was never hit. Cars are not a problem because of all the motorbikes jamming the roads.

Crossing the streets in Vietnam | Vietnam Travel Guides

Ha, you'd measure your life in seconds in Bangkok lol

• Thanks 2