Doctor predicts half the world will have Omicron within a month, but WHO warns it’s ‘dangerous’ to assume it’s the end of the pandemic

Puccini

Doctor predicts half the world will have Omicron within a month, but WHO warns it’s ‘dangerous’ to assume it’s the end of the pandemic

TRISTAN BOVE

January 25, 2022 7:45 PM GMT+1

The relentless global surge of the Omicron coronavirus variant may infect half of the world’s population by March 2022, according to a prominent scientist writing in a major medical journal.

In a commentary published in a peer-reviewed medical journal The Lancet, Dr. Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, outlined his predictions for the next few months: that Omicron’s contagiousness and ubiquity will infect so many people that governments will reevaluate how to react to the virus.

While previous waves of COVID-19 took two to three months to spread through communities and peak before infections began falling, Dr. Murray points out that Omicron’s peak tends to occur three to five weeks after community spread is first detected. This may render many previously reliable pandemic measures less effective under Omicron, as the wave will probably have already passed by the time these solutions are scaled up.

Read more: https://fortune.com/2022/01/25/how-many-people-will-get-omicron-doctor-predicts-half-world-infected-march-endemic-who-lancet/

While it may change in due course, I've been waiting for some time for the much discussed "wave" of omicron in NZ, but so far it seems to be reluctant to spread far.

I even took the precaution of avoiding contact with friends so as not to be accused of giving it to them, but it's been so long without it appearing in this community that I've given up on waiting and returned to normal life, if life now can be considered to be "normal".

This is the same WHO that came late to the party, delayed declaring a Pandemic and wasted an entire month saying there was no need for travel bans until hospitals world-wide filled to bursting point forced an advice change?  I'll pass on advice and comment from the WHO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

This is the same WHO that came late to the party, delayed declaring a Pandemic and wasted an entire month saying there was no need for travel bans until hospitals world-wide filled to bursting point forced an advice change?  I'll pass on advice and comment from the WHO.

Worth a read for you.  There are many reasons they held back. They can't initiate travel bans.  The country that really screwed that up was the US.  Banning flights from China, but not those connecting via other countries.  This allowed the spread big time.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/9/21163412/who-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-world-health-organization

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SooKee said:

They can't initiate travel bans but they can issue advice.  They went for weeks telling countries that it wasn't necessary.

Did you read the article?  And understand there are wide ranging implications for making such a pronouncement?

I don't think you even read that article....

• Thanks 1

We all choose what to place value in with regard to 'articles'.  Even the WHOs own investigation and report into their performance with regard to Covid reported on the two key issues I mentioned above.  Did you even read THAT article, maybe to busy engrossed in smug self-righteousness? 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SooKee said:

We all choose what to place value in with regard to 'articles'.  Even the WHOs own investigation and report into their performance with regard to Covid reported on the two key issues I mentioned above.  Did you even read THAT article, maybe to busy engrossed in smug self-righteousness? 

I prefer an independent report on their performance.  So, no.  I've not read their report.  Kinda like reading an assessment of Ford by the CEO.  Right....a bit biased.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I prefer an independent report on their performance.  So, no.  I've not read their report.  Kinda like reading an assessment of Ford by the CEO.  Right....a bit biased.

Might be an idea to check the facts before suggesting the report was prepared by the WHO itself.  It was an independent investigation commissioned by the WHO and conducted by the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response, so actually no, absolutely nothing like reading an assessment of Ford by its CEO at all.  The facts are out if you take the time to check before jumping to incorrect conclusions, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your own narrative.  In addition, the report actually identified the serious shortcomings on the part of the WHO so even that aspect doesn't even support the point you are trying to make.  Like derrr ????.  

Edited by SooKee
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Might be an idea to check the facts before suggesting the report was prepared by the WHO itself.  It was an independent investigation commissioned by the WHO and conducted by the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response, so actually no, absolutely nothing like reading an assessment of Ford by its CEO at all.  The facts are out if you take the time to check before jumping to incorrect conclusions, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your own narrative.  In addition, the report actually identified the serious shortcomings on the part of the WHO so even that aspect doesn't even support the point you are trying to make.  Like derrr ????

I've not seen a link for this.  Can you share?  I've read a lot about this, from a variety of sources.  But yes, agree the WHO could have done a better job of handling things.  20/20 hindsight is always perfect.

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

Might be an idea to check the facts before suggesting the report was prepared by the WHO itself.  It was an independent investigation commissioned by the WHO and conducted by the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response, so actually no, absolutely nothing like reading an assessment of Ford by its CEO at all.  The facts are out if you take the time to check before jumping to incorrect conclusions, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your own narrative.  In addition, the report actually identified the serious shortcomings on the part of the WHO so even that aspect doesn't even support the point you are trying to make.  Like derrr ????.  

In other words, the WHO behaved very honorably by appointing an independent commission to investigate itself. The mistakes were acknowledged. What other major mistakes has the WHO made? How does their advice differ from the rest of the scientific community?

• Haha 1