15-year-old boy dies, 13-year-old boy seriously injured after pickup truck collides with motorbike in Chonburi

webfact

Just now, ikke1959 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He was riding an engine size-limited bike, not prohibited to 15-year olds.

He is just too young.......first an education and a decent test and than on the road..... But most kids learn to drive early and make mistakes and it is almost impossible to correct the things they wrongly learned... 

Where did it state that the rider did anything wrong?  There was another vehicle involved the driver of which said that he didn't see the bike.

What's all this "we can assume..."?   You can assume that, you could also assume that is was being ridden in a proper manner given no evidence otherwise.

"The pickup truck driver, Mr. Jeerasak Gornkorn, 36, told TPN media, “I was unable to see the motorbike when I was crossing the road in my pickup truck.”

Yes, you can assume the bike was being ridden in a careful and proper manner, if you wish to do so.

Those modified bikes with the anodized, lighweight components, skinny tyres and aftermarket mufflers are built for speeding. 

I note the mirrors appear to be removed also...

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

There are currently no legal specification for window tints in Thailand.

A ‘limit law’ was put in place in 2001 (30%) that law was since ‘rescinded’ or rather it was announced that that law would not be enforced. 

There is a law against mirrored film which I suspect has more to do with ‘reflection’ and blinding of other vehicles from the sun reflecting more than actual visibility through the windscreen low light conditions. 

The DLT Tax inspection runs a ‘Tint Test’ and vehicles will either be approved or not on a number of items such as emissions etc - the ’tint limit’ is not published, however, a when had to have a previous car tested (about 10 years ago) the DLT engineer doing the testing told me the ’tint limit’ was 30% (i.e. cannot block more than 30% of visible light) - of course, I see plenty of cars older than *7 years old which clearly have tint darker than 30% - so I suspect this is one of those ‘grey areas’.

I don’t see any documented law regarding window tint. That said, I don’t see any documented law that its illegal to drive without shoes or that its illegal to drive without a shirt - yet that is a law.... 

So.. I can’t provide links.... BUT, I never exceed 30% tint because of this (and visibility reasons), also because I wouldn’t want this to become a contentious issue if involved in an accident at night. 

The vehicle has to be ‘road worthy’ - it could be argued that a vehicle with dark tints is not roadworthy. 

Where did it state that the rider did anything wrong?  There was another vehicle involved the driver of which said that he didn't see the bike.

Why didn’t he see the bike ?

- Tint too dark.

- Didn’t look properly.

- Bike had no lights on.

- Bike was ‘distant’ but travelling very fast.

Any or a combination of the above are pretty much the ’norm’ in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why didn’t he see the bike ?

- Tint too dark.

- Didn’t look properly.

- Bike had no lights on.

- Bike was ‘distant’ but travelling very fast.

Any or a combination of the above are pretty much the ’norm’ in Thailand. 

The photo of the bike shows it's rear light was on.

There was no report that the bike was speeding.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Difficult to really know what happened, night time did the bike have it's lights on or as you suggest did the pickup pull out without looking needs to be confirmed.

Seems as as though it's lights were on...

gHIFRjvX5KpMb4jc_103126.jpg

Interesting... as the key is not in the ignition... 

The appearance of the a rear light maybe a reflection of the flash photography. 

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There was no report that the bike was speeding.

There is no report that the boys were not wearing helmets .... 

Do you think that they must have been wearing helmets because it is not reported that they weren’t ?????

The articles and reports are never reliable and often quite misleading..... Just because the report has not mentioning that the boys were speeding it does not mean they were not....  

The same goes for wearing helmets, the report has not mentioned they were not wearing helmets....  but, its a fair assumption they were both speeding and not wearing helmets.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

As per the full article, it seems as if the pickup has pulled out without looking, and the bike has hit it.

Bike has racing mods, suspension, tyres etc, so we can assume it was not being driven in a careful or proper manner either. 

And... the carnage continues. 

My son altered his lights on his bike, so I smashed them up with a hammer. If one installs core values at a young age, just possible they might live a little longer. Not putting the blame on anyone. But if kids aren’t taught they won’t know 

• Like 1

Yes no need to assume here (seems to be a lot of assuming)

Facts are while children are allowed access to ride motorcycles on the roads and those who should know better turn a blind eye then the carnage will continue

Very Sad