Canadian Toursit Attacked With Sword

ColPyat

"Daily News" has reported that a 34 year old Canadian female tourist was attacked in Chiangmai by three youths at the 9/6, who tried to steal her bag. When she resisted the kids slashed her left hand with a Japanese style sword cutting her tendons, and made off with her posessions. A Tuc Tuc driver has brought her to hospital where the doctors managed to reattach the tendon.

edited for inaccuracies, sorry

Edited by ColPyat

Swords and Machetes are favoured weapons when guns are not available.

If anyone reading this has ever seen a Thai gang fight, they will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I went over the border to laos via Tha Li, Loei province, and I picked up a sword for 200 Baht, this thing was lethal, like a huge cleaver, when I went back to my home the local guys where almost orgasmic at the sight of this weapon.

Edited by Maigo6

Seems there is.Or they are just copying the samoerai gangs.A couple of weeks ago the police also captured a youth gang who repeatedly robbed tourists.By the way it is very rare in Chiangmai.And very unlikely you get in trouble,but like everywhere there are always some troublemakers in every major city.Chiangmai ,I am sure does not have that many criminality compared with other big cities .But minor crimes.But things always could change..... :o

You have gotta wonder about all those market stalls selling big swords & machete's in the tourist areas - Pattaya for example.

Could just about see some farang on the edge, lose it for whatever reason, go buy a 4 foot long sword, ninja stars, and Stallone Cobra type brass nuckles - enter a bar & start chopping away.

I am in preference of un-regulated markets - but these stalls selling weaponry to the public put that to the test...

I actually seen one guy hacking away at his own face with a fork in Pattaya. Did a good job of it too. No sh!t!!!

Soundman.

Chiang Mai is rife with crime and dangerous criminals.

That's the way it is in Chiang mai, they're everywhere here! There's a rumor of a new gang that has (protection) with approximately 100 members.

That's the way it is in Chiang mai, they're everywhere here! There's a rumor of a new gang that has (protection) with approximately 100 members.

Hogwash.

Rumours and barstool legends are not accurate statistics.

Do the new Thai's Generation lose the way ?

Do the new Thai's generation lose the kind, the smile & the respect vs their guests ?

I think that this generation is victim of the nation.

Illiteration, useless/bad TV programs and corruption maybe are only some of the real problems that new Thailand must fight against.

Until the year 2001 I compared Thailand to Switzerland about safety and respect .

After that year I have compaired and compare Thailand with Brazil (I can say that because of my longtime staying)!

That's SAD.

Manu

You have gotta wonder about all those market stalls selling big swords & machete's in the tourist areas - Pattaya for example.

Could just about see some farang on the edge, lose it for whatever reason, go buy a 4 foot long sword, ninja stars, and Stallone Cobra type brass nuckles - enter a bar & start chopping away.

I am in preference of un-regulated markets - but these stalls selling weaponry to the public put that to the test...

I actually seen one guy hacking away at his own face with a fork in Pattaya. Did a good job of it too. No sh!t!!!

Soundman.

Mr. Rosner wishes to know if they gentleman lost face?

Soundman.

Well I must say that is an improvement in the wit department. (forget about the syntax though) :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

Swords and Machetes are favoured weapons when guns are not available.

If anyone reading this has ever seen a Thai gang fight, they will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I went over the border to laos via Tha Li, Loei province, and I picked up a sword for 200 Baht, this thing was lethal, like a huge cleaver, when I went back to my home the local guys where almost orgasmic at the sight of this weapon.

Orgasmic at the sight of your weapon eh ! what you gonna tell us next ? :o

Soundman.

Hey jeff, love the new admiral/town crier outfit ! :o

Soundman.

That guy was not only stupid, but ill-mannered as well. The proper utensil for that is a dessert spoon!

Chiang Mai is probably no better or worse than any other major City in LOS when it comes to viollence.

However most violence that I have witnessed is either Thai on Thai or Thai on Burmese. These attacks often happen after heavy drinking sessions..but I have see more violence in a sleepy English Market Town than I have ever witnessed here.

Having said that though violence purpotrated here ends in death here a lot more than it does back in the UK and largely goes unreported.

I had never witnessed ONE SINGLE ACT of violence up here that did not involve people being drunk, and all in all I have only seen two incidents in the 3 years I have lived here...and never one against a Farang, although I am aware that they have happened they really are few and far between.

I would take the Samuri theory with a pinch of salt......I was told when I first came t Chiang Mai that there wa a gang that stalked and killed one farang per month.....what a load of rubbish :o

However there may be a new "4x2 Gang "as these guys have a habbit of driving on quiet roads late at night whacking unsuspecting mortorcyclists with a lump of the stuff with the intention of dismounting them. :D

Stupid <deleted>

Heard from the horses mouth back in 2000 of youths who couldn't cope with their drink getting into trouble, a few deaths but no tourists / farang usually got in the way. Crime happens, Chang Mai's a big city. Whereabouts did it happen in CM?

Samuri gang? Machete gang more like it! Petty crime can happen anywhere, a girl who owns her own bar in CM was telling me how a pillion passenger on a bike tried to snatch her bag. I guess Thailand can sometimes be a bad place for the unlucky ones. I hope I keep on the lucky side of things for a long time to come as most folk I know have been lucky in that respect.

Still i hear the stories and they aren't all lies so lets be safe out there and keep our wits about us folks.

Yeah those weapons they sell are basically what you get anywhere outside of Westernised lands. If people use them to attack people will also want them to defend against.

Don't forget less than a hundred years or so ago all the countries of the world had markets that sold weapons (of varying lethality).

Now I was looking at a weapons market stall once just outside the tesco lotus and told the girl I wasn't interested in the bladed weapons, just the non-lethal stuff like tazers and cs gas etc. She laughed and said 'But that weapon is for girl you know!' I replied 'Maybe you think so but if I use knife on thai man I go to monkey house for long time!' She had no answer for that one (and no non-lethal weapons :o ) ho hum.

).

Now I was looking at a weapons market stall once just outside the tesco lotus and told the girl I wasn't interested in the bladed weapons, just the non-lethal stuff like tazers and cs gas etc. She laughed and said 'But that weapon is for girl you know!' I replied 'Maybe you think so but if I use knife on thai man I go to monkey house for long time!' She had no answer for that one (and no non-lethal weapons :o ) ho hum.

Was that in CM...I need to get something non-lethal for my Wife, as she leaves our restaurant in the wee small hours sometimes when I am not around

If it WAS in CM which Tesco/Lotus?

Cheers

I'm not sure how you conclude this, but your assertion is simply not true. Chiang Mai is not crime free, but it's got less crime than any city its size I've ever been to. and far less than the villages.

I remember hearing about teenage gangs which rode around with swords up there 14 years ago. What is it with that place and swords?

Maybe they're training to be "Knights?" Quite a noble aspiration, imo. They'll maybe progess to "jousting" after a few months. :o

post-32068-1181795347_thumb.jpg

Soundman.

That guy was not only stupid, but ill-mannered as well. The proper utensil for that is a dessert spoon!

you can just imagine that fork going back on the table for some unsuspecting farang to use, after some dude has cut his face up with it. :D

oh well, it dont really matter as this is the sort of thing that goes down in pattaya. :D and one can quite understand why the cat done that. :o

party on dude. :D

I'm not sure how you conclude this, but your assertion is simply not true. Chiang Mai is not crime free, but it's got less crime than any city its size I've ever been to. and far less than the villages.

What villages do you refer to ?