Playing Behind The Japanese

Dr. Burrito

I understand playing behind people who don't normally have the pressure of keeping a certain pace can be an exercise in frustration. When I played in a very nice private course in Sydney those who did not keep the pace certainly used to drive me mad.

About a year later I came to work part time in Tokyo, and I certainly understand the Japanese golfer a lot better. In a very breif summary, if I got a game on a proper course between 1-2 weeks a year or even one week every 2 years, then I would also enjoy every moment also.

I have had the pleasure of playing with Japanese golfers, and when you hit the odd "Great" shot, like chipping-in from a yard or so off the green, or hitting the middle of the green from 210 out with the 1-iron the Japanese golfers certainly appreciate being able to see that, and even better, having a beer or so with a fellow golfer after pulling off a shot or two, and also admiring some of their skill is also great.

I suppose, after all the years, I enjoy the diversity of the difference

• 2 weeks later...

Slow play is a problem everywhere in the world due to the growth in golf's popularity. Too many people go onto a course before they have the abilities and/or knowledge to do so. As strange as it may sound, If I were a course owner, I would require passing an "abilities and etiquette" test before allowing anyone to play. Afterall, we have such tests in many other arenas of our lives, why not in a place where many people are exposed to fast moving and hard missiles capable of causing serious injuries including death.

Test would include: Basic rules of golf, basic etiquette, how to speed up play and ability to advance the ball at least 100 yards with each swing (tee, fairway and rough).

Nanu Nanu

This test existed in france ( tee d or meaning golden tee) before they biult so many golf that they need customers now for getting a return

When i have the problem of a very slow play in front of me i jump directly to the next hole.

Then at the end i play this forgotten hole, i know a lot of people dont like doing that but better for me than to wait 20' before driving for the 15 remaining holes.

And doing that you have now nobody in front of you as the slow players dig a gap in front of them :o

This test existed in france ( tee d or meaning golden tee) before they biult so many golf that they need customers now for getting a return

When i have the problem of a very slow play in front of me i jump directly to the next hole.

Then at the end i play this forgotten hole, i know a lot of people dont like doing that but better for me than to wait 20' before driving for the 15 remaining holes.

And doing that you have now nobody in front of you as the slow players dig a gap in front of them :o

This is one way to beat the slow play, but you must be sure your cutting in front does not slow down those you cut in front of.

A couple of years ago, I was just walking off the 8th green at the old Siam Country Club with my playing partner when a cart with a lone golfer drove by heading towards the ninth tee and the club house. Thinking he was heading home, I thought nothing was amiss until I saw him stop at the ninth tee and get his club.

We were within 25 meters of the tee box when he hit his drive. I took exception to this and told him he was wrong and it was rude to the extreme to do this when we were nearly at the tee. He had little to say and apologized for his actions.

We would have been required to wait until he was over 300 yards away (yeah, Right!) before we could hit and I wasn't prepared to do this. We hit our drives and drove off leaving him standing on the tee. I did invite him on the 10th tee to play with us for the back nine. He accepted and we had an enjoyable second nine.

Just be careful who you jump in front of.

Edited by chuckd

Slow play is a problem everywhere in the world due to the growth in golf's popularity. Too many people go onto a course before they have the abilities and/or knowledge to do so. As strange as it may sound, If I were a course owner, I would require passing an "abilities and etiquette" test before allowing anyone to play. Afterall, we have such tests in many other arenas of our lives, why not in a place where many people are exposed to fast moving and hard missiles capable of causing serious injuries including death.

Test would include: Basic rules of golf, basic etiquette, how to speed up play and ability to advance the ball at least 100 yards with each swing (tee, fairway and rough).

Nanu Nanu

RE slow play and poor or non-existent etiquette on the course, I recall playing Villamoura the old course in Portugal a few years ago and when we walked into the Pro's shop to pay for our pre-booked round we were asked for our handicap certificates. Three of us had them with us and the other guy had left it in the villa. We were ALL required to go out on the practise range and hit balls for the Pro before we were allowed on the course. A minimum handicap of I beleive 18 for men was required to play this course otherwise you had the alternative of playing the easier course. Seems to me that clubs that we are now paying high membership costs for ( in relative terms ) should honour this policy and stop the hackers from even getting on the course. I am not trying to deny anybody the right to play golf, but irrespective of nationality people should at least be able to advance the ball some 150 yards+ before being allowed on a REAL golf course. Lets face it, the tourist's who come could spend some VERY usuefull time on some of the excellent and cheap driving ranges; where at least they can see some grass and even practise off the grass, which in itself must be a first for most of them.

Maybe some enterprising ranges/courses could incorporate an hour on the driving range along with explanation of the etiquette expected of them whilst out on the course-- at least they couldn't claim ignorance of the etiquette then.

• 2 months later...
In America, ######s playing slow are quickly corrected by the marsals, who have not the slightest whim about telling them to get their <deleted> in gear, or possibly not be invited back.

In Thailand, neither the starter nor the marshals are going to say word one to anybody for fear of the repurcussions.

Depends on the course. Some marshals actually do their jobs. Others just make extra pocket money.

I'm not an apologist for slow players or lack of ettiquette on the golf course. However, there's good reason why Koreans and Japanese might take so long. The social aspect of the game may have more importance to these players than anything else. The player holding the most senior position, if the group are employees, or the client if the relationship is customer based, will invariably win the round regardless of how good a player they are. The length of time the round takes may also be longer than usual if there are pressing business matters to resolve. None of this will sit nicely with the retired westerners in Thailand who play the game for sport or fun.

Well said - except business matters are not typically resolved on-course. What is actually happening is that the underlings are contriving a way of "just missing" so that the boss feels he's really beaten his playing partners. In actuality, the underlings are usually way better than the boss - this is why they have to spend time to contrive a loss. You don't just go and play like crap - gives the boss no face to "beat" someone who is not a good or competitive player.