Phuket: Sources tell media it's high time that airport was opened up to free competition among taxis

webfact

The cost for a Taxi from Korat to Bkk is around 2000 baht (quote today), the cost from Phuket airport to Patong is what? 800 baht at least. Go figure.

This was the case years ago and still the same from what i gather.

Doubt I will ever return to Phuket even though it has some beautiful places to visit, just way to much corruption for this fella. All this in the land of BS, cheers

• Like 2

do the patong tuk tuks still try and charge hundreds of baht to go a mile or so?

another great thai taxi mafia is at laem chabang cruise port where it operates at unbelievable rip off prices posted in clear view....whoever is mr big there is a very rich man..prices so outrageous that many cruise passengers just stay on the ship and miss bangkok and pattaya...obviously the TAT knows about this but does NOTHING..been going on for years

• Like 1

Been there, done that. "Free competition" amounted to collusive price fixing where a taxi driver wouldn't dare give you a fair deal in fear of reprisal by other taxis. The current system was supposed to help cure that problem. If the taxi drivers hate it - it must be working ???? 

The real solution would be requiring all taxis to be metered. That's quite likely to happen - just after hell freezes over.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:28 PM, IanDelMar said:

There is a bus service that runs on the west coast of Phuket between the airport and Rawai and back stopping at all the beaches on the way. I've used it a number of times. Fare is currently a flat 100 baht so its partucularly good for couples and solo travellers.The times I've used it it's been practically empty. Check phuketsmartbus.com for information and times. 

Indeed, it was recently restarted. It takes about 2 hours Apt-Rawai, when a taxi would be about 1:15 for 900 B. Pleasant ride too, with seaside views from Kata to Surin. The main problem is that trips are limited in number, and are not suitable to catch morning flights out or for late landings.

As for main topic, indeed the taxi and general transportation situation in Phuket is a shame.

16 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Been there, done that. "Free competition" amounted to collusive price fixing where a taxi driver wouldn't dare give you a fair deal in fear of reprisal by other taxis. The current system was supposed to help cure that problem. If the taxi drivers hate it - it must be working ???? 

The real solution would be requiring all taxis to be metered. That's quite likely to happen - just after hell freezes over.

My last trip, I got a metered taxi airport to Rawai beach. When you land, skip the official taxi stands inside the airport (they ask 1000 for this trip). Keep walking to the left, you find a couple of stands offering metered. They start at 50, and the lady said there would be another 50 on top of the meter. Inferior cars I have to say, but ok. Of course the driver tried to overcharge. In the end, all in it was 900. The trip is about 50km.