Tyre replacements

poppysdad

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:
23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Tyres can last up to 10 years if they are not damaged or worn down to the legal limit.

Honesty?

Your life might depend on proper tyres......and you want to save only some Money?????

I'm not allowed to use the approbiate word for this behaviour.,????

I regard a tyre that is not damaged or worn down to the legal limit as a 'proper tyre' and in some 45 years of driving, my judgement hasn't let me down yet.

Honesty?

Your life might depend on proper tyres......and you want to save only some Money?????

You don't know much about tyres obviously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I regard a tyre that is not damaged or worn down to the legal limit as a 'proper tyre' and in some 45 years of driving, my judgement hasn't let me down yet.

Old rock hard tires are not safe, regardless of how much tread is left. They significantly increase braking distance. Been there done that. I usually change after about 4-5 years due to this. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's what Toyota did until I pointed out to them that they need to fit the wheels correctly as they are 1 directional tyres. ????

Our Everest has one directional tyres fitted.

Yoko Parada.

18 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Honesty?

My friend restores vintage motorcycles, guess how old some of the tyres are that are still used on the road.....????

12 hours ago, natway09 said:

Needed new tyres after 65,000 kliks, ended up at Cockpit, fitted tyres & then they did a wheel balance (obviously,) but the guy not quite happy & so did a full lazer wheel alignment.

Drives better than when new

As you would expect.

5 minutes ago, big dendrobenaes said:

describe "one directional" tyres.....

never heard of this in my life !!!!

Unidirectional tyres are very common on motorcycles and quite a number of car tyres too. It's all to do with the tread pattern and how it clears water from under the tyre.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

Old rock hard tires are not safe, regardless of how much tread is left. They significantly increase braking distance. Been there done that. I usually change after about 4-5 years due to this. 

I've never owned a single car for longer than 7 years and I'm pretty sure I had to replace the tyres on that one due to the mileage I did.

When I mentioned a 10 year life I was quoting from a website that said that tyres can last for up to 10 years. I'm sure that this would only apply to a Sunday driver who kept his precious car safety tucked up in its garage for the rest of the week.

10 years in the real world is just not feasible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big dendrobenaes said:

describe "one directional" tyres.....

never heard of this in my life !!!!

One way directional tyres are performance tyres they disperse water better are quieter running on the road and marginally better than run of the mill tyres. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've never owned a single car for longer than 7 years and I'm pretty sure I had to replace the tyres on that one due to the mileage I did.

When I mentioned a 10 year life I was quoting from a website that said that tyres can last for up to 10 years. I'm sure that this would only apply to a Sunday driver who kept his precious car safety tucked up in its garage for the rest of the week.

10 years in the real world is just not feasible.

10 year old tyres that are still safe are not common, but feasible in some situations.  Some of pick up tyres are hard and long wearing.  Braking and cornering performance are not as good as car tyres by design.  Pickups with these tyres, driven conservatively, can do 100,000 km on a set of tyres before tread wear becomes a limitation.  If driven less than 10,000km/year then 10 year tyre life is feasible.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jitar said:

Some of pick up tyres are hard and long wearing.  Braking and cornering performance are not as good as car tyres by design. 

I  wish a lot of pick up drivers would learn to understand that.

1 hour ago, Jitar said:

Are you saving up for the other 3? 

Actually Everest was bought Nov 2015 … changed to these tyres Dec 2018 at 29,635kms.

I notice now that that the ride is not as soft as it used to be … kms now 45,302 … grieves me to change them but will before the rains come. If someone wants them in a few months, let me know. Need to use it all the time now I think …