How are roofs made leak-proof here?

HauptmannUK

My wife built her house about 10 years ago. Q-conn blocks with steel roof frame and CPAC tiles.

Ever since it was built it has leaked a bit during heavy storms. The builder has been back a few times to squirt some sealant around - but no success, still leaks.

My wife now wants the tiles removed and relaid and new ceiling boards fitting.

In the UK we would put a waterproof layer ('roofing felt', 'sarking') under the tiles to help prevent leaks. Is an equivalent available here?

8 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Ever since it was built it has leaked a bit during heavy storms. The builder has been back a few times to squirt some sealant around - but no success, still leaks.

My wife now wants the tiles removed and relaid and new ceiling boards fitting.

In the UK we would put a waterproof layer ('roofing felt', 'sarking') under the tiles to help prevent leaks. Is an equivalent available here?

The highest benefit is to lay a radiant barrier on the battens before the tiles are placed. Probably the roof wasn’t correctly designed or maybe incorrectly fitted. 

the radiant barrier, though waterproof, isn’t designed to cope with a leaky roof bit it will help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

CPAC can be a good roof if done correctly and very leaky if not.

Here's the answer to the OP's question, isn't it?

If done correctly....

Tiled roofs are tricky to get done right and unforgiving if done incorrectly.

Metal roofs are more forgiving.

The OP might look into replacing his tile with an insulated quality metal (Bluescope) to get a water-tight and energy efficient roof.

But I doubt he'll go that way...

Then retiling of the roof by a competent contractor will be his only option. And still, there will be no guarantee that it will be leak free a few years later (tile tend to crack with age).

Edited by unheard

Concrete roof tiles are perfectly good to install with a suitable and proffesionally layed underlay can last between 50 and 100 years.

There are minimum degree pitches which are important to adhere to but as always at the end of the day the installation of the roof materials and finishing has to be carry out by a competent trained roofworker. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes for many years and much more available in many places now in Thailand.

I've looked around and haven't found a single instance of any kind of waterproofing underlayment being used on the regular house construction sites.

No solid decking - no underlayment.

There's simply no any structure present to lay down underlayment in the Thai construction design.

Edited by unheard

9 minutes ago, unheard said:

I've looked around and haven't found a single instance of any kind of waterproofing underlayment being used on the regular house construction sites.

No solid decking - no underlayment.

There's simply no any structure present to lay down underlayment in the Thai construction design.

Global house has underlay to use..

Rolls of polythene can be used.

Boarding or metal lining panels can be used.

Mesh and Fibreglass can be used.

Someone who knows and has done underlay and tiling before can be used. 

Most thai roofs is leaking.

They simply do not have building tradition to make it tight, most concrete tiles here is layed direct on a steel construction without any underroof. The steel construction is working much under the heat, much more than the roof stones, thats the first way to get a leaking roof and broken roof stone.

The next problem is the overlay between the stones, many roofs here have to little overlay (makes better profit to the buildingcompany)

If you of one or another reason dont make a underroof, you must tight the roof from the underside between the tiles, I have never seen that here.

Think about the old building tradition here is bamboo houses with leave roof