Non-O Retirement - Accommodation and Financials

I am hoping to enter Thailand on a 60 day  tourist visa, and then apply for a Non-O based on retirement. I need your expert help on a couple of questions.

1. Accommodation - The  regulations state that I need to have a rental agreement. I am planning to stay with a Thai family, whom I have known for many years, at their house. I would not be paying rent, but would be providing support to them as I have done in the past. Is this acceptable for the accommodation requirements? The family owns their house and can provide the necessary documents of ownership.

2. Financial - I have the funds needed to be transferred (800,000 Baht), but do not have a Thai bank account. From previous posts on this forum, it appears as though opening an account is not a straight forward thing to do. I understand that there are agents who provide the service of meeting the financial requirements. Does anyone know if they can be used to solely open the bank account for me? If so, any idea what kind of fee they would charge?

Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

9 minutes ago, joesaya1206 said:

- I have the funds needed to be transferred (800,000 Baht), but do not have a Thai bank account. From previous posts on this forum, it appears as though opening an account is not a straight forward thing to do

Indeed it can be difficult. 

Chap I know used Siam Legal.

Was happy with the service. The ground work was done while he was in isolation.

That company uses Bangkok Bank and as banks go that's a popular one with expats.

Sorry cannot recall price but was not expensive.

You could try Kasikorn without agent as some reports that they have  been flexible. 

The banks (some) want a residence certificate. That's an issue in Bangkok since they want a 90 day report to have been done.

You can obtain statement at your embassy (not all).

IMO use an agent. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Agents can do the lot for you depending on who you use, price range 12,500 baht- 18,000

That's way off the price from my recollection.

Hopefully someone can post personal experience. 

The io only wants a bank account. Nothing more. 

Edit:...just went through my pm mail.

Here is clip from fella that used KeyVisa for bank account...

"Key Visa - Bank account with BKK bank opposite their office. Cost 4000 bht".

Think Siam Legal was 4,800 from memory. 

Edited by DrJack54

If staying in Pattaya no need to use an agent for a bank account, a few Bangkok Bank branches are farang friendly, other banks not so much these days.

If you want an agent to do everything incl 15 months visa and extension then it's 25k + cost of bank account, I'm guessing +3k

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you want an agent to do everything incl 15 months visa and extension then it's 25k + cost of bank account, I'm guessing +3k

He has stated he has the funds to transfer to a bank here.

The high cost for the agent you mentioned is when they supply the 800k baht financial proof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

What did you need to open a bank account? Can be done on a tourist visa?

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

What did you need to open a bank account? Can be done on a tourist visa?

First up, yes it's possible to open bank account with tourist visa however not straight forward.

In my case the most recent account that I opened involved lot of running around despite me being on annual extensions and a non O in my pp. 

I first dealt with Bangkok Bank and they wanted a residence certificate or something from embassy.

A residence certificate obtained in Bangkok requires you to have done a 90 day report.

Not possible for those arriving on visa exempt or tv.

The use of agent is good option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joesaya1206 said:

Accommodation - The  regulations state that I need to have a rental agreement.

Just have property owner file a TM30 (as required by law).  A copy of that should be accepted (keep in your passport).

• Like 1

Thank you all for your helpful information. The nearest Immigration Office would be Mae Sot, so I'll go there with the house owner and we'll talk to them directly to see what exactly they need.

I'll also get a reference letter to take to the bank as Ubonjoe suggested. If that doesn't work, then using an agent to open the account doesn't appear to be too expensive, but would rather not have to go that way. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, DrJack54 said:

Dr J I didn't say fee was just for financials read what I said agent can do the lot, that being non immigrant o , extension of stay, financials ect

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Dr J I didn't say fee was just for financials read what I said agent can do the lot, that being non immigrant o , extension of stay, financials ect

Yep.

Often folk asking prices.

So the non O and also extension approx 25k+

The ongoing annual extensions approx 15k (or less).

Open bank account approx 4k.

I think the bank account for those entering visa exempt and tourist visa is good option. If they can do the rest themselves re financials then that's a simple process. 

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yep.

Often folk asking prices.

So the non O and also extension approx 25k+

The ongoing annual extensions approx 15k (or less).

Open bank account approx 4k.

I think the bank account for those entering visa exempt and tourist visa is good option. If they can do the rest themselves re financials then that's a simple process. 

"Often folk asking prices.

So the non O and also extension approx 25k+"

If you are referring to the agent taking care of money in bank, there are those in Pattaya who state they can do that (non O/Retirement Ext.) for 25k plus.

Good luck finding someone in Bangkok or Chiang Mai for that price - or even near that.

50% more and higher (and higher).

22 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Often folk asking prices.

So the non O and also extension approx 25k+"

If you are referring to the agent taking care of money in bank, there are those in Pattaya who state they can do that (non O/Retirement Ext.) for 25k plus.

Good luck finding someone in Bangkok or Chiang Mai for that price - or even near that.

50% more and higher (and higher).

True Pattaya certainly has cheaper prices than Bangkok.

It's not uncommon for Bangkok folk to use agents in Pattaya.

I sent a mate who lives in BKK to KeyVisa in Pattaya for his non O volunteering about 12  months ago as it was cheaper. 

Not sure what Bangkok Buddy are charging.

Perhaps someone might contribute from direct experience.